DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Performances
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:18 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Sorry, but here's MORE documentation regarding Moores participation with Johnny Burnette and the Trio. Grady Martin states on his website that Moore played absolutely FOR SURE on Johnny Burnettes sessions on July 4, 1956 and March 22, 1957. In addition, another session was scheduled for July 5, 1956...but Moore had a prior commitment for a television gig at CBS, and even though the session would have paid twice as much, Moore fulfilled his commitment to CBS.

Where's the link to that site?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:23 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:
Sorry, but here's MORE documentation regarding Moores participation with Johnny Burnette and the Trio. Grady Martin states on his website that Moore played absolutely FOR SURE on Johnny Burnettes sessions on July 4, 1956 and March 22, 1957. In addition, another session was scheduled for July 5, 1956...but Moore had a prior commitment for a television gig at CBS, and even though the session would have paid twice as much, Moore fulfilled his commitment to CBS.

Where's the link to that site?

I just read it, so you're taking the word of Kittra Moore when no one involved is still alive to confirm any of it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:24 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

Boy, Grady has a great memory that he can recall specific events from 55 years ago, events that disagree with the session notes. I guess Dorsey just stood aside and let Moore play on July 4?

Moore, Martin, and Boots Randolph were known as the A-Team of Rockabilly session players OFTEN replacing regular band members on recording sessions...much like The Wrecking Crew did for so many bands iin L.A., since they were so accomplished. My research is starting to indicate that Moore may actually have played on nearly as much or more R&R Trio stuff as Dorsey. Google Johnny Burnette and Bob Moore and there's a plethora of data confirming this. It' starting to appear as though while Dorsey and Paul were in Johnnys touring ensemble, Grady and Moore were his session musicians of choice, which is pretty much what I figured.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:39 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:

Boy, Grady has a great memory that he can recall specific events from 55 years ago, events that disagree with the session notes. I guess Dorsey just stood aside and let Moore play on July 4?

Moore, Martin, and Boots Randolph were known as the A-Team of Rockabilly session players OFTEN replacing regular band members on recording sessions...much like The Wrecking Crew did for so many bands iin L.A., since they were so accomplished. My research is starting to indicate that Moore may have actually have played on nearly as much R&R Trio stuff as Dorsry. Google Johnny Burnette and Bob Moore and there's a plethora of data confirming this. It' starting tl appear as though while Dorsey and Paul were in Johnnys touring ensemble, Grady and Moore were his session musicians of choice, which is pretty much what I figured.

Even if we assume that Martin played on EVERY Trio record, that's still two years after Bill Black created that style of playing rockabilly bass. Black was the innovator, Moore was the great technician who could play anything after someone else created it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:40 pm 

StuBass wrote:
It' starting to appear as though while Dorsey and Paul were in Johnnys touring ensemble, Grady and Moore were his session musicians of choice, which is pretty much what I figured.

Johnny wasn't making the decisions as to who played on the records, that was being done by the label and the producers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:48 pm 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:
It' starting to appear as though while Dorsey and Paul were in Johnnys touring ensemble, Grady and Moore were his session musicians of choice, which is pretty much what I figured.

Johnny wasn't making the decisions as to who played on the records, that was being done by the label and the producers.

And if I'm a country or rockabilly producer, and if what you are assuming is even true, then I'd definitely go for Moore over Dorsey to cut my tracks at that time.

As for Black...once again...I really like him. He DOES remind me a bit of Bootsy Collins in this respect. Both, in my opinion, were known as much for their stage antics as their instumental virtuosity.

Was Black the "innovator" though...or the guy who exposed a style due to the notoriety and attention he received as the early bass player for a worldwide phenomenon named Elvis Presley???

Last edited by StuBass on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:52 pm 

StuBass wrote:
And if I'm a country or rockabilly producer, and if what you are assuming is even true, then I'd definitely go for Moore over Dorsey to cut my tracks at that time.

As for Black...once again...I really like him. He DOES remind me a bit of Bootsy Collins in this respect. Both, in my opinion, were known as much for their stage antics as their instumental virtuosity.

Speaking of Moore, I know his son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Stevie_Moore

He used to manage a record store a few miles from my house. Looks like he finally moved back to Tennessee last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:54 pm 

Interesting list.
I like Burton, but should Pulling Teeth really be THAT high? I mean, at least it's unique and original...but very polarizing for most people.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:53 pm 

updated 7 years ago

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:39 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:07 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Interesting list.
I like Burton, but should Pulling Teeth really be THAT high? I mean, at least it's unique and original...but very polarizing for most people.

Another list I'll worry about more seriously once we've fixed up the main list. I do think Pulling Teeth is a top 10 lock tho. If I were to make a top 10 greatest rock performances list myself, it'd be, in some order, something like: YYZ, Close to the Edge, Heart of the Sunrise, Tommy the Cat, Around the World, Something, What's Going On, Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth), Crossroads live, The Lemon Song (I think Squire actually deserves two performances in the top 10, yeah)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:29 am 

So are you in the group that also thinks Sound Chaser is not Squire's best?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 pm 

I don't think it's near his best, frankly. Close to the Edge, America, Siberian Khatru, Long Distance Runaround, Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise...those are his peak performances imo. Sound Chaser is slightly below that in my book, but his work remained outstanding thru at least Going for the One in 1977, he didn't lose a beat until, at the earliest, the late 70s (and more likely the early 80s with the introduction of pop Yes).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 am 

Ariel wrote:
I don't think it's near his best, frankly. Close to the Edge, America, Siberian Khatru, Long Distance Runaround, Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise...those are his peak performances imo. Sound Chaser is slightly below that in my book, but his work remained outstanding thru at least Going for the One in 1977, he didn't lose a beat until, at the earliest, the late 70s (and more likely the early 80s with the introduction of pop Yes).

I completely agree, I had no idea why it was at number 7, I tried to figure that out forever. I still love Tempus Fugit though, but definitely not his best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am 

While Peter Green is known as one of THE gods of blues-rock guitar, he also gets a nasty solo here on a 6-string bass.
Killer stuff, imo. Ariel?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next