DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Basslines
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:53 pm 

The bassline to Another One Bites the Dust is certainly more popular than Billie Jean. But I would definitely add it to the list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:03 pm 

a_man_named_gray wrote:
The bassline to Another One Bites the Dust is certainly more popular than Billie Jean. But I would definitely add it to the list.

I don't know how you're determining the popularity of each bass line, but the record "Billie Jean" is much more popular than the record "Another One Bites The Dust."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:05 pm 

mrsamtotheg wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Where is "Billie Jean"

I agree the intro and the bass notes the minute you hear them, you know what song it is, billie jean is bigger than another one bites the dust ever was and is just as simple.

MJ admittingly lifted the bass line for "Billie Jean" from this:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:11 pm 

Bruce wrote:
mrsamtotheg wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Where is "Billie Jean"

I agree the intro and the bass notes the minute you hear them, you know what song it is, billie jean is bigger than another one bites the dust ever was and is just as simple.

MJ admittingly lifted the bass line for "Billie Jean" from this:

I like that song , I like what de soul did sampling that song for say no go ha, yeah but I agree we need less white guy with guitar geeky prog rock stuff on this list, it looks like the top prog rock list sprinkled with non prog rock stuff here and there, a violent misrepresentation of rock n roll, its not all white boys with guitars.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm 

Bruce wrote:
a_man_named_gray wrote:

I don't know how you're determining the popularity of each bass line, but the record "Billie Jean" is much more popular than the record "Another One Bites The Dust."

Maybe you are right about the record but AOBtD bassline is clearly more popular than the Billie Jean's one, there are really few basslines which can compete with AOBtD in popularity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:51 pm 

Yeah, Billie Jean is a good line but the bass has very little to do with people liking that record as far as I can tell. AOBtD is famous wholly because the bassline. If you took a person who had never heard either song before and showed them to him, he would almost certainly be able to sing Queen's line to you. That they'd have Billie Jean's bass part down after one listen is doubtful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm 

a_man_named_gray wrote:
Yeah, Billie Jean is a good line but the bass has very little to do with people liking that record as far as I can tell.

Here's what wikipedia says:

The song is well known for its distinctive bass line and Jackson's vocal hiccups.

. Bass guitarist Louis Johnson was then brought in and he played his part on every guitar he owned, before Jackson finally settled for a Yamaha bass.

After four bars, a repetitive bass line enters. It never rests for more than an eighth note and centers on a seventh. Each time it passes through the tonic, the note is doubled by a distorted synth bass, played in unison with a shaker.

According to Daryl Hall, when Jackson was recording “We Are the World,” Jackson approached him and admitted to lifting the bass line for "Billie Jean" from a Hall and Oates song (apparently referring to Hall’s "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" from the 1981 album Private Eyes): "Michael Jackson once said directly to me that he hoped I didn't mind that he copped that groove." Hall says he told Jackson that he had lifted the bass line himself, remarking, "it's something we all do

presenter Zoe Ball said, "I'm delighted that 'Billie Jean' has been voted the greatest dance record ever made. This is Jackson at his best." She continued, "This track is way up there for me - Jackson's rendition of it at the Motown 25th anniversary show has got to be one of the great live performances of all time. The bass line is awesome, the production is killer. It's just perfect."[56] In a list compiled by Rolling Stone and MTV in 2000, the song was ranked as the sixth greatest pop song since 1963

In an interview, R&B artist Pharrell Williams stated that "Billie Jean" was one of his favorite songs. "It is hard to say if there is a greater song than 'Billie Jean'. I think there will never be a song like this one again, with this bass line, with this kind of effect, this eternalness, this perfection

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm 

That's interesting. I never knew that that was a recycled line. That should hurt its placement. Hell, it may even be the reason it wasn't here to start with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:30 pm 

a_man_named_gray wrote:
That's interesting. I never knew that that was a recycled line. That should hurt its placement. Hell, it may even be the reason it wasn't here to start with.

Most records from after the 60s are recycled and doubled lines. Even Jamerson's lines in the 60s were many times doubled with him playing them over on an acoustic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm 

While AOBTD is indeed a recognizable bassline...for me...the hook to that song is the concept and lyrical content.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:52 pm 

Bruce wrote:
a_man_named_gray wrote:

Most records from after the 60s are recycled and doubled lines. Even Jamerson's lines in the 60s were many times doubled with him playing them over on an acoustic.

Up to the mid 60's most Motown tracks were cut on 4 track with Jamerson plugging in direct to the board. There were no available tracks for such overdubbing. Jamerson did play some of the early Motown stuff on upright. While Motown did experiment using two basses...Jamerson and Tony Newton early on and Babbitt later...they mostly scrapped that stuff because the sound was too muddy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:15 am 

StuBass wrote:
Bruce wrote:
a_man_named_gray wrote:

Up to the mid 60's most Motown tracks were cut on 4 track with Jamerson plugging in direct to the board. There were no available tracks for such overdubbing. Jamerson did play some of the early Motown stuff on upright. While Motown did experiment using two basses...Jamerson and Tony Newton early on and Babbitt later...they mostly scrapped that stuff because the sound was too muddy.

I'm speaking of like 1965 and later. I know I read somewhere how he would go back in and play the track on acoustic at times and they would add it in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 am 

Is this a great bassline?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 am 

Bruce wrote:
StuBass wrote:
Bruce wrote:
a_man_named_gray wrote:

I'm speaking of like 1965 and later. I know I read somewhere how he would go back in and play the track on acoustic at times and they would add it in.

Yes its true that Jamerson tried some stuff like you mentioned after Mike McLean upgraded the studio for multi tracking. At first, Motown was recording on single or double tracks with all the musicians and singers cramped in the Snakepit doing it all together...instruments plugged into the board. I really doubt too many of Jamersons experiments ended up on the actual release...much like those double bass sessions where the producers told Babbitt to play what James wasn't, and telling James to play what Babbitt wasn't. Didn't really work but at that time the company was going through lots of changes and new musicians and producers were coming aboard so a lot of experimentation was going on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:34 am 

Bruce wrote:
Is this a great bassline?

yeah it is , its a common bassline used in latin jazz ,ray was the first to use in a rock setting and the doors admitted lifting it for break on through definately should be on the list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next