DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Basslines
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:38 pm 

StuBass wrote:
You're near and dear to my heart with those Jamerson lines...plus I could think of several more...BUT...I try to understand my progressive friends and am sure they feel strongly in the tunes and rhythm parts which they enjoy. Other than taking the debate to Julliard or The Eastman School Of Music...I must respect their musical preferences.

some of those jamerson lines where played on big hits, while some of these progressive lines where on some obscure prog rock song, I think this list needs revamping it should include much more of the guy who is a clear cut beyond everyone else number 1.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:18 pm 

Roundabout isn't obscure. It's all over classic rock radio stations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:

I wasnt talking about roundabout althought I think their are better basslines played by jamerson on simple pop records, and we both know a classic rock station is the only place you would hear that song, I mean things like the king crimson line.

Last edited by mrsamtotheg on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:27 pm 

Funny...Roundabout just came on my sat radio. I listened again...good song...sensible bassline that fits, but NOTHING to rave about so far as GREAT basslines go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm 

mrsamtotheg wrote:
beaverteeth92 wrote:

I wasnt talking about roundabout althought I think their are better basslines played by jamerson on simple pop records, and we both a classic rock station is the only place you would hear that song, I mean things like the king crimson line.

Thela Hun Ginjeet isn't that amazing of a line by Tony's standards also. This is how I'd do the list (again):

1. Good Times - Chic (Bernard Edwards)
2. Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin - Sly and the Family Stone (Larry Graham)
3. Money - Pink Floyd (Roger Waters)
4. Roundabout - Yes (Chris Squire)
5. Another One Bites the Dust - Queen (John Deacon)
6. N.I.B. - Black Sabbath (Geezer Butler) (First major bassline with effects)
7. Under Pressure - Queen (John Deacon)
8. London Calling - The Clash (Paul Simonon)
9. Super Freak - Rick James
10. Taxman - The Beatles (Paul McCartney)
11. Whipping Post - The Allman Brothers Band (Berry Oakley)
12. Schism - Tool (Justin Chancellor)

Also it's not in my own Top 12, but I'd probably put "Caught in a Mosh" by Anthrax and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica in the Top 50 or 60.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:26 pm 

Why does Another One being based on Good Times mean it has to be number one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm 

It's not because of that. I've listed my reasoning for Good Times earlier in this thread and I don't feel like retyping or copying and pasting it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 am 

StuBass wrote:
Funny...Roundabout just came on my sat radio. I listened again...good song...sensible bassline that fits, but NOTHING to rave about so far as GREAT basslines go.

i agree man nothing special , something like pride and joy played by jamerson much more sophisticated in its use of notes, the catchy riff and the pure jazz playing at the end thats insane, or save the children ,maybe we get it cuz we both actually play bass stubass ha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:12 am 

Its probably top five but I'd say Thank You... should be number one. It has influence and originality far beyond most everything here. And I'd say it is at least as recognizeable as Good Times. Oh, and thank God someone said that about Thela Hun Ginjeet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:06 pm 

Not as much as Good Times. #2 is a fine spot.

Good Times is much more recognizable by the general public, and again, started pretty much the entire genre of hip-hop. Funk already existed before slap bass and even today there are still funk groups that don't rely on it (like Tower of Power). In terms of overall influence, Good Times trumps Thank You.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:22 pm 

Thank You didn't start funk but it started slap bass. And anyone who deploys the technique owes direct influence to that song. More directly than hip hop owes to Good Times. Speaking of that, would you mind elaborating on what influence Good Times had on hip hop music?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:40 pm 

Sure! Early DJs would take the break where the bassline is played over the drums and loop it continuously while people rapped over it and danced to it. They'd have two copies of the record and switch back and forth for the loop. Good Times was, by far, the most popular break they used for this purpose and the first rap single in history, "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugar Hill Gang, had a guy in the studio who was told to just play that bassline for 15 minutes straight without breaks.

It's similar to the way that the Amen, Brother and Funky Drummer breaks have been used.

And yes, it started slap bass. But in terms of overall popularity, Good Times takes the cake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:14 am 

Ok, so you have me convinced that Good Times is more popular(I suppose that counts for the Lasting Appeal criterion?). But I am not sure that it being heavily used in hip hop necessarily makes it influential. Good Times surely wins complexity but I think the innovation of Larry Graham on Thank You should lock up originality and influence for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 am 

Where is "Billie Jean"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:44 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Where is "Billie Jean"

I agree the intro and the bass notes the minute you hear them, you know what song it is, billie jean is bigger than another one bites the dust ever was and is just as simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next