DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm 

I found out literally just now. Holy shit we lost both he AND Jon Lord in the same day?

It's going to take a while to recover from this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:27 pm 

OMFG

:cry:

I'm so sorry Stu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:28 pm 

What happened to Jon Lord?

RIP to both, and may they never be forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:32 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Ariel wrote:
Neg I just mean, what do you think of him in general? What are some of his best performances?

Oh, I see.
Definitely these -
Fireball, Pictures Of Home, No One Came....he was awesome live as well.

Good but not great. He's staying put in the late 40s. An important enough part of rock bass history. I must say the Pictures solo is pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 pm 

Ariel wrote:
OMFG

I'm so sorry Stu

It's been so gratifying for his family to see all the articles on Bobs passing from The New York Times, Washington Post, L.A. Times (just today), USA Today, CNN, MSNBC, Rolling Stone, and virtually every major newspaper and network and television outlets throughout the country. It's been amazing. His wife and kids can truly see just how revered and influential he has been in the world of music.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:04 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Ariel wrote:
OMFG

I'm so sorry Stu

It's been so gratifying for his family to see all the articles on Bobs passing from The New York Times, Washington Post, L.A. Times (just today), USA Today, CNN, MSNBC, Rolling Stone, and virtually every major newspaper and network and television outlets throughout the country. It's been amazing. His wife and kids can truly see just how revered and influential he has been in the world of music.

That's awesome man. I'm so glad to hear that. It's a pleasant surprise to me to know that all these major outlets even knew who Bob was and found it newsworthy (obviously it is as newsworthy as ANYTHING in the world right now - to put it more plainly, WHENEVER a legend like this dies it is incumbent on the world to celebrate their life, in the news outlets and magazines and everywhere else - but I didn't expect major outlets to recognize that fact).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:04 pm 

Updated the list on page 1. The top 50 is done and really strong!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm 

I just learned that the NBC show Rock Center (hosted by Brian Williams) will feature a segment TONIGHT on the late, legendary bassist Bob Babbitt. The "in week review" segment will feature Babbitt playing his classic bassline to Stevie Wonders Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

Rock Center airs TONIGHT (Thursday) at 10pm/9c on NBC. Please tune in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:07 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

McCartney vs. Butler

Influence: Butler (purely as a bassist)
Innovation: Butler
Creativity: Butler (easily)
Versatility: Tie?
Technical ability: Butler (very easily)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm 

ZepHead wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

McCartney vs. Butler

Yes...I believe you're wrong on at least 3 (likely 4) of the 5 criteria you mention. I suppose tech ability could be debated, but Influence isn't even close (McCartney), Versatility is a blowout for McCartney, Creativity (McCartney), Innovation???I suppose if you overlook Burton and some others in metal then Geezer might score some innovation points in metal just like if you overlook Jamerson then McCartney would get innovation in most other branches of rock...tie for Geezer at BEST.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:25 am 

StuBass wrote:
ZepHead wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

McCartney vs. Butler

Yes...I believe you're wrong on at least 3 (likely 4) of the 5 criteria you mention. I suppose tech ability could be debated, but Influence isn't even close (McCartney), Versatility is a blowout for McCartney, Creativity (McCartney), Innovation???I suppose if you overlook Burton and some others in metal then Geezer might score some innovation points in metal just like if you overlook Jamerson then McCartney would get innovation in most other branches of rock...tie for Geezer at BEST.

Tech. ability should be debated?! Are you sure that you're familiar with Butler's music? And as a bass player, Butler is much more creative.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 am 

That's a tough one, but you have to give it to McCartney overall.
Ariel said it perfectly a while back, when he called Paul's playing a "sophisticated melodic counterpoint". Paul is definitely more versatile with his lines, but creativity is tough.

Innovation is Geezer though, without question. His playing is half the reason heavy metal was born (the other reason being Tony's riffs of course).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 am 

Influence: Tie/Butler
Creativity: Tie/Butler
Versatility: McCartney
Technical ability: Butler

I'd give overall to Butler.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:33 pm 

ZepHead wrote:
StuBass wrote:
ZepHead wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

McCartney vs. Butler

Tech. ability should be debated?! Are you sure that you're familiar with Butler's music? And as a bass player, Butler is much more creative.

True, I don't claim to be an expert in metal music, thus I tend to look to the opinions of those I respect and whose opinions on genres I am familiar with make sense. Most of those whose opinions I trust point to Burton, Harris, and others before Butler as setting the standard for metal bass playing. Bass Player Magazine (a pretty trustworthy resource IMO) named both Harris and Burton as two of the top 25 who changed everything (concerning bass)...not Butler. McCartney was also named as one of the top 25. While this factor may or may not correlate with the criteria we use here...I would tend to place my trust in such a well researched edition from the most respected publication in the industry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

StuBass wrote:
I just learned that the NBC show Rock Center (hosted by Brian Williams) will feature a segment TONIGHT on the late, legendary bassist Bob Babbitt. The "in week review" segment will feature Babbitt playing his classic bassline to Stevie Wonders Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

Rock Center airs TONIGHT (Thursday) at 10pm/9c on NBC. Please tune in.

It was at the end of the show and very tastefully done by Brian Williams and the producers. Nice video from SITSOM. Also mentioned were Kitty Wells and Jon Lord.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 140  Next