DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:03 pm 

Coconut73 wrote:
I know this is coming late, but Ariel, I saw another BLASPHEMY from a few pages ago where you said Cliff Burton is the metal Scott LeFaro. I understand this is a rock bass thread and Cliff Burton also had an untimely death, but as a bass player, I cannot compare the two. Scott LeFaro is in the running for the god of the bass as an instrument. It would be like comparing Kurt Cobain to Beethoven.

You are so right. Glad to have someone on my side who thinks Burton is over rated.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:47 pm 

Ssoyd wrote:
Coconut73 wrote:
I know this is coming late, but Ariel, I saw another BLASPHEMY from a few pages ago where you said Cliff Burton is the metal Scott LeFaro. I understand this is a rock bass thread and Cliff Burton also had an untimely death, but as a bass player, I cannot compare the two. Scott LeFaro is in the running for the god of the bass as an instrument. It would be like comparing Kurt Cobain to Beethoven.

You are so right. Glad to have someone on my side who thinks Burton is over rated.

I'd also say that diehard Burton fans tend to be a "bit" whimsical. But then again, who am I to talk :durr:?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:13 pm 

Stu, Ssoyd, Coconut -- any particular ideas how the order should between the four: Laboriel, Johnson, Babbitt, Dunn? (Please do not consider Dunn's recent untimely death as a factor)

If I had to at gunpoint order them in greatness right now I'd tentatively say: Dunn, Abe, Johnson, Babbitt.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Stu, Ssoyd, Coconut -- any particular ideas how the order should between the four: Laboriel, Johnson, Babbitt, Dunn? (Please do not consider Dunn's recent untimely death as a factor)

If I had to at gunpoint order them in greatness right now I'd tentatively say: Dunn, Abe, Johnson, Babbitt.

Pretty sure you'll figure out the next 5...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 pm 

StuBass wrote:
I just got an update on Babbitt and the news isn't good. His doctors say he may be in his final days. I hope they're wrong. Hang in there buddy.

Fuck. I really hope we don't lose him, and especially not this close to Duck Dunn.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:12 pm 

City Of Nashville to honor Babbitt!

The City of Nashville, Tennessee is honoring Bob Babbitt with a Star on the Music City Walk Of Fame. The ceremony is scheduled for June 5th and is open to the public. Babbitt is being inducted along with Steve Winwood. Pray for Babbitt being there to enjoy the honor.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm 

Dunn, Babbitt, Johnson, Abe, in that order, now have spots 25-28. Tell Bob, Stu.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm 

StuBass wrote:

The City of Nashville, Tennessee is honoring Bob Babbitt with a Star on the Music City Walk Of Fame. The ceremony is scheduled for June 5th and is open to the public. Babbitt is being inducted along with Steve Winwood. Pray for Babbitt being there to enjoy the honor.

Done.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm 

I think spots 29 and 30...well Bootsy and Bogert are both insultingly low and top 30 locks I think. Unless someone has a different opinion, those two will round out the top 30. They will not necessarily get spots 29 and 30 though, both I think deserve higher than that in the top 30. The question is where

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:36 pm 

Ariel wrote:
I think spots 29 and 30...well Bootsy and Bogert are both insultingly low and top 30 locks I think. Unless someone has a different opinion, those two will round out the top 30. They will not necessarily get spots 29 and 30 though, both I think deserve higher than that in the top 30. The question is where

Does Bootsy count as a rock bassist? Funk is more closely related to the jazz genre. For the purposes of this list, I hope not because he would be top 10 otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 pm 

StuBass wrote:

Just sent Babbitt an e-mail informing him of his position on the list and wishing him the best on behalf of everyone. I remember how honored he was when he first got even mentioned on the list...but that's Babbitt. He's just coming to terms I believe to some extent as to just how respected and influential he is within the bass world.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 pm 

Coconut73 wrote:
Ariel wrote:

Does Bootsy count as a rock bassist? Funk is more closely related to th jazz geeeeeeenre. For the purposes of this list, I hope not because he would be top 10 otherwise.

Hi Coconut...Yes funk and Bootsy fall under the Rock umbrella. True some folks look at Bootsy as a sort of bass God, and others believe that Bootsy is the product of flash and electronic gimmickry. It's been discussed here on many occassions. In the funk genre, I personally believe that there are several other greater and more skillful players of that sub-genre, including but not limited to Graham, Johnson,Miller, Anthony Jackson, Bernard Edwards, Prestia, even Flea perhaps. In R&B...Bootsy falls well short of Jamerson, Rainey, Babbitt, Baker, Dunn, Ready Freddy, Hood, and many more.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:50 pm 

StuBass wrote:
Hi Coconut...Yes funk and Bootsy fall under the Rock umbrella. True some folks look at Bootsy as a sort of bass God, and others believe that Bootsy is the product of flash and electronic gimmickry. It's been discussed here on many occassions. In the funk genre, I personally believe that there are several other greater and more skillful players of that sub-genre, including but not limited to Graham, Johnson,Miller, Anthony Jackson, Bernard Edwards, Prestia, even Flea perhaps. In R&B...Bootsy falls well short of Jamerson, Rainey, Babbitt, Baker, Dunn, Ready Freddy, Hood, and many more.

I agree 100%.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm 

So Ariel, did you ever decide on Casady and Lesh?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:01 pm 

Haven't listened to those clips yet, in part due to computer speakers dying. Will do it soon.

Ssoyd where do you think Bogert should reasonably end up? I'm thinking he's a top 20 lock, at minimum very high 21-25.

As far as Bootsy goes...hmm...hard to assess. He's an icon alright and one of the people most responsible for introducing effects use to the bass guitar; he did a TON of the moving and pushing in that field singlehandedly, and has been very creative in those endeavors. But if you strip away the image his influence must be reckoned below Jamerson, perhaps Odom, and certainly Graham and probably Johnson in funk.

Top 10? He's a joke compared to 1-7, that's not even within debate. Geddy owns him too I think, same with Flea and it would seem wrong to me to put him above Claypool. Rainey has him beat in general easily, and Geezer is a much stronger 'icon/influence within one genre' guy. Would he beat Hamm? Very possibly, but that means 20-25 on this list very possibly. Which doesn't seem that terrible to me. Could he beat Lesh & Casady? I don't think so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 140  Next