DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:07 am 

Ssoyd wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
It wasn't until "The Real Me" that Entwistle truly began to shine IMO.

Haven't heard Live at Leeds?

Yes I have since I owned that record back in the early 70's. Bass playing not even close to "The Real Me" IMO.

Be that as it may, Entwistle shines on Live at Leeds, and that's the point that I was addressing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 am 

ClashWho wrote:
ariel wrote:
I think Entwistle already reached 'genius' status on Who's Next, with "Bargain, "Won't Get Fooled Again", "Love Ain't for Keeping" etc.

Again, Live at Leeds.

Haven't listened to it yet...you got me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:33 pm 

IDK, LIve at Leeds is good bass-wise but it doesn't really out-do anything, for arguments sake, like Zep's Albert Hall show.... a great performance, don't get me wrong.. but its not something that should be considered top tier i don't think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:05 am 

Jestercide wrote:
IDK, LIve at Leeds is good bass-wise but it doesn't really out-do anything, for arguments sake, like Zep's Albert Hall show.... a great performance, don't get me wrong.. but its not something that should be considered top tier i don't think.

I agree. Good bass playing for sure but far from Entwistle's best later on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:55 am 

Since I'm learning bass now, and have always loved Bass (and listened to it) nearly as much as I've loved drums, here's what I have to say.

James Jamerson has a solid #1, if it ever changes, everything else on the list may as well mean nothing.
Same with The Ox at #2
I love Graham, and I think he has a solid spot, but not as assured as the first two
Chris Squire is my favorite Bassist of all time, and I think he easily deserves the spot. Could you guys who are really, really good at bass and gave him a 15/15 on creativity explain to me what makes him so great? I know why I think he is, but I'd like to here from a good bassist whose been playing for years. And the roundabout bassline makes me jizz everytime I hear it.
Bruce was awesome
Tony Levin is the most skilled bassist I know, he is very creative too IMO, I'd give him his spot
McCartney kicks Lee's ass IMO, and needs the 7th spot.
I'd back Lee up to number 9 actually and switch him the Johnson.
Claypool is fine.

Everything else sounds good, so what can you guys tell me about what I don't know about bass players? How ridiculous is Squire/Claypool/Graham. I listen to them, and understand them, but from a playing perspective, what do they do 'with' the bass that is so special? The more I learn the better (and I know they're all geniuses ;))

PS.

The Who is my 3rd favorite band so I know everything about Entwistle's style, playing, and best performances, since I've been listening to him all my life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 am 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Since I'm learning bass now, and have always loved Bass (and listened to it) nearly as much as I've loved drums, here's what I have to say.

James Jamerson has a solid #1, if it ever changes, everything else on the list may as well mean nothing.
Same with The Ox at #2
I love Graham, and I think he has a solid spot, but not as assured as the first two
Chris Squire is my favorite Bassist of all time, and I think he easily deserves the spot. Could you guys who are really, really good at bass and gave him a 15/15 on creativity explain to me what makes him so great? I know why I think he is, but I'd like to here from a good bassist whose been playing for years. And the roundabout bassline makes me jizz every time I hear it.
Bruce was awesome
Tony Levin is the most skilled bassist I know, he is very creative too IMO, I'd give him his spot
McCartney kicks Lee's ass IMO, and needs the 7th spot.
I'd back Lee up to number 9 actually and switch him the Johnson.
Claypool is fine.

Everything else sounds good, so what can you guys tell me about what I don't know about bass players? How ridiculous is Squire/Claypool/Graham. I listen to them, and understand them, but from a playing perspective, what do they do 'with' the bass that is so special? The more I learn the better (and I know they're all geniuses ;))

PS.

The Who is my 3rd favorite band so I know everything about Entwistle's style, playing, and best performances, since I've been listening to him all my life.

One thing that is important to remember is everyone learns from those who came before. It's kind of like climbing stairs. The present generation has the huge advantage of learning from the previous generation. I've been playing since 1972 so I'll give it a shot. I would like to add that I believe the criteria are too restrictive as I firmly believe that versatility and improvisational ability are extremely important.

Larry Graham: Invented the slap and pop style of bass playing. Inventing a new style that has become ubiquitous gives him huge points in influence, creativity and probably technical prowess. His ranking IMO is too high because he lacks versatility.

Chris Squire: Also had a unique style and rated high in creativity compared to his peers and also is high in influence but like graham seems stuck in that style and lacks versatility.

Claypool: a virtuoso with a high level of skill and versatility but quite frankly I don't like listening too him much but that is just personal opinion.

McCartney certainly does not "kick Lee's Ass" IMO but deserves a higher ranking because of his extremely high level of creativity, versatility, and influence, and musicality, especially when compared to his peers. Personally I would put him at #3.

Lee is high in creativity, influence and technical skill IMO and should be rated higher.

Entwistle is, well, Entwistle and has always pushed the boundaries to make himself better and is high in influence, creativity and musicality and deserves #2.

Jamerson deserves #1 because he almost single handedly changed the way bass is played in popular music by bringing a Jazz sensibility. He developed playing that used harmonic and syncopated rhythmic structures not used in popular music previously. There is bass playing before Jamerson and after Jamerson. Probably the only other bass player that had as much influence on Bass Guitar was Jaco Pastorious but he isn't on the list because he didn't play Rock. If he did I would put him at #2. Quite honestly I don't think Marcus Miller should be on the list for the same reason. While he did play on some Rock Sessions he's primarily a Jazz player.

Tony Levin is a solid versatile Bassist but personally he doesn't excite me in any way.

I always liked Bruce and his Jazz influenced melodic style but he never seemed like he deserved a top 10 spot except that he was good compared to his peers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 pm 

RIP Mick Karn...

And should someone update his work to include Japan?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 pm 

Where the F is Victor Wooten???? Come on man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 am 

delossantosj wrote:
Where the F is Victor Wooten???? Come on man

It's because he's not a Rock Bassist. He's considered Jazz/Fusion and on that list he's #18. On the Most Skilled Bass Players list he's #1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 pm 

Yeah, we need to purge the rest of the non-rock guys (like Miller as ssoyd mentioned) from this list.

Post subject: Peter Cetera
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 am 

Peter Cetera, bassist with Chicago was an outstanding bassist before he concentrated on singing POP and deserves a spot at least in the top 50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNcTJnQe ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2rkWL8 ... re=related

Last edited by Ssoyd on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Peter Cetera
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 am 

Ssoyd wrote:

I agree, always loved Chicago's bassist, band's great, guitarists really good too

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 am 

Maybe I missed him, but Mel Schacher (Grand Funk Railroad), at least deserves honorable mention, or better.
Or maybe he just sounds very talented because Mark Farner was so bad on guitar. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:26 pm 

invertt wrote:
Maybe I missed him, but Mel Schacher (Grand Funk Railroad), at least deserves honorable mention, or better.
Or maybe he just sounds very talented because Mark Farner was so bad on guitar. :facepalm:

Mel was a very good bass player. Farner was an excellent singer so his crappy guitar playing can be forgiven..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:24 pm 

Maybe it's because I'm just obsessed with the band at the moment, but I think Marillion's bassist Pete Trewavas was OK. At least an honorable mention for him too. Listen to the live version of Margaret off of B'Sides Themselves.
The bass intro to Chelsea Monday ain't bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbr9F_asKeQ

And the basswork in Forgotten Sons is decent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtiUoEbwD7Q

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 140  Next