It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DDD's Favorite Novels Database
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:26 pm 

Last edited by Eric J on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:07 pm 

Blood Meridian (McCarthy), Suttree (McCarthy), Lolita (Nabokov), Invisible Man (Ellison), The Adventures of Augie March (Bellow), Catch-22 (Heller), The Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde), Tin Drum (Grass), Bluest Eye (Morrison), Rabbit, Run (Updike)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:40 am 

bloodredchaos wrote:
Roadside Picnic
how bout that... i'll assume you've seen the movie it inspired? how do the two compare to you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 am 

George wrote:
bloodredchaos wrote:
Roadside Picnic
how bout that... i'll assume you've seen the movie it inspired? how do the two compare to you?

Stalker is one one of my favorite movies ever, but I think I prefer the lack of subtlety and the more out there sci-fi elements of the book. I read the book before I'd even heard of the film, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:43 pm 

i see! have you read anything else by the strugatsky brothers?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 pm 

ClashWho: The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas), The Stand (King), Moby Dick (Melville), The Eagle Has Landed (Higgins), A Wizard of Earthsea (LeGuin), The Hobbit (Tolkien), The Sword of Shannara (Brooks), The Brotherhood of the Rose (Morrell), L.A. Confidential (Ellroy)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:56 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
ClashWho: The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas), The Stand (King), Moby Dick (Melville), The Eagle Has Landed (Higgins), A Wizard of Earthsea (LeGuin), The Hobbit (Tolkien), The Sword of Shannara (Brooks), The Brotherhood of the Rose (Morrell), L.A. Confidential (Ellroy)

I totally forgot this book existed, one of my favorites. also respect for Moby Dick

timewarne404 wrote:
Blood Meridian (McCarthy), Suttree (McCarthy), Lolita (Nabokov), Invisible Man (Ellison), The Adventures of Augie March (Bellow), Catch-22 (Heller), The Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde), Tin Drum (Grass), Bluest Eye (Morrison), Rabbit, Run (Updike), Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkein)

update

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:18 am 

George wrote:
i see! have you read anything else by the strugatsky brothers?

Only The Final Circle of Paradise, which I also enjoyed. Definitely looking to get more of their work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 pm 

Forgotten Son: R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing; Stephen King's IT; Ursula K, LeGuin's The Dispossessed; Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Batards Sequence; George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire; Cormac McCarthy's The Road; George Orwell's 1984; JK Rowling's Harry Potter series; Mary Shelley's Frankenstein; JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 pm 

Rick:The Glass Bead Game/Hermann Hesse, Villa Incognito/Tom Robbins, Johnny Got His Gun/Dalton Trumbo, Imajica/Clive Barker, Neuromancer/William Gibson, The Alchemist/Paulo Coehlo, Slaughterhouse-five/Vonnegut, Bridge of Sighs/Richard Russo, Brave New World/Huxley, Mystery/Peter Straub, Lonesome Dove/McMurtry and far too many more to list here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 pm 

Yay for Lonesome Dove!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:33 pm 

Catch 22 (Heller), The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky), Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche), The Plague (Camus), Mother Night (Vonnegut), Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky), The Trial (Kafka), Don Quixote (Cervantes), Kafka On the Shore (Murakami), Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut)

Updated, just swapped Thus Spake Zarathustra in for Notes from the Underground. Are short story collections allowed? If yes, then my list should be this:

Catch 22 (Heller), The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky), Thus Spake Zarathustra (Nietzsche), The Plague (Camus), Mother Night (Vonnegut), Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky), The Trial (Kafka), Stories (Chekhov), Don Quixote (Cervantes), Kafka On the Shore (Murakami)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:26 pm 

The Man: The Once and Future King, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Great Gatsby, The Great Divorce, The Brothers Karamazov, Man's Search for Meaning (I think that qualifies), All Quiet on the Western Front, 1984, Mere Christianity, Adventures of Hucklberry Finn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:20 pm 

Wow I forgot this was supposed to be a database thread. Might make it one later when i'm not knees-deep in homework.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:41 pm 

here are my top 10 but not in order because that would be too hard

grapes of wrath - john steinbeck
east of eden - john steinbeck
all the kings men - robert penn warren
to kill a mockingbird - harper lee
light in august - william faulkner
100 years of solitude - gabriel garcia marquez
brothers karamazov - fyodor dotoyevski
a farewell to arms - ernest hemingway
harry potter - jk rowling (if i had to pick a book it would be the 4th)
in search of lost time - marcel proust (if i had to pick a favourite it would be either way by swann's or in the shadow of young girls in flower)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next