E?
Hot 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Not 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: E-books: Hot or Not
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:01 am 

Some girl posted this on my feed, she's one of those harry potter freaks:

http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/fck- ... es/913027/

What are your guys' stance on ebooks? Less tr00? Doesn't matter too much? Etc? Is there really an intimate feeling that gets missing?

This is how I've been reading books like mad and am a firm supporter of them. I can pretty much look up any word with ease, even highlight stuff. Not really an us v. them thing as I like regular books too, but I just find ebooks more convenient.

Post subject: Re: E-books: Hot or Not
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:02 am 

Idk, I'm a fetishist of certain physical books, and I used to hate the whole notion, but since I got my Kindle I have to admit I've been reading more than usual. The being able to click on a word and see its definition or look up a Wikipedia article cannot be underestimated.

For me the worst part of an ebook is the impossibility of truly opening it at random, which is something I like to do. Saint Augustine converted to Christianity based on opening The Bible to a random passage.

I vote a light hot, though if they do destroy the physical book industry I will be upset.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:20 am 

Same as drew.

I don't use my Kindle that much but it is useful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:55 am 

I love my Kindle. It's convenient, portable and has many perks that make it more practical to use. The ability to buy books at an instant is great - most book stores don't carry a lot of the books I read (foreign language and specific history books).

I went to buy Blood Meridian last night and the store didn't have it. After dreww and Liam's discussion I still think I'm going to get the actual book with the audio tape.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:45 am 

Dreww wrote:

if they do destroy the physical book industry I will be upset.

As I will be.......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:57 pm 

pink wrote:
I love my Kindle. It's convenient, portable and has many perks that make it more practical to use. The ability to buy books at an instant is great - most book stores don't carry a lot of the books I read (foreign language and specific history books).

I went to buy Blood Meridian last night and the store didn't have it. After dreww and Liam's discussion I still think I'm going to get the actual book with the audio tape.

Blood Meridian is really perfect for the kindle, cause of the dictionary/wikipedia feature Drew mentioned above.

I like reading on my Kindle a lot, because it's easy to manipulate with one hand only, I can read it at night with the lights off, I can highlight passages and easily reference them later. A full battery will last weeks, too. And it's made it easier to read more than one book at a time.

Of course, there are thing I love about physical books too. Just not as convenient.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 pm 

Overall, I think hot.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like reading a physical book makes more of an impact on me than clicking through its electronic edition. I remember more about it, and the lasting impression is greater, if only because of its tangible existence as I turn the pages with my hands rather than a click on the side of my Kindle.

The strictly-for-reading Kindle is amazingly convenient (mine doesn't have the backlight, but I've found it's not a big deal.) The screen is easy on the eyes, I can change the text display options to my liking, and most obviously build my library easier than in the physical form.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:07 pm 

Ah yes, that's where I was trying to get to, tho I suppose it's like that with most physical media. For example, I too don't 'feel' it as much if I'm watching a downloaded movie torrent as opposed to a physical disc playing or better yet, a movie theater experience. You're getting the same information and possibly feeling similar emotions and ideas the books are trying to convey, but the latter can become warped into an even higher experience because it takes much more focus and work to get to that state of immersion.

Dreww wrote:
For me the worst part of an ebook is the impossibility of truly opening it at random, which is something I like to do. Saint Augustine converted to Christianity based on opening The Bible to a random passage.

This is probably the most interesting 'pro' I've heard for physical books. And now that I think about it, you're totally right.

pink wrote:
The ability to buy books at an instant is great - most book stores don't carry a lot of the books I read (foreign language and specific history books).

This cannot be underestimated, a great convenience. It works out if you torrent books too (hey no money, mo problems). Epob files allow it to have all the options you get with purchasing official books (definitions, highlighting, time left, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:15 pm 

i prefer physical books by a mile, however they are such a ripoff in this country (struggle to a new paperback for under $20, second hand book stores barely exist) that end up having to go with ebook a lot of the time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:48 pm 

They are equally tr00 (in fact maybe more tr00 because it shows you have a voracious appetite for books), but one thing I love about books is that it's one of the only activities I do anymore that doesn't involve a screen. So I don't do it.