DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 am 

Jess wrote:
his little book of early short stories too?

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:29 am 

I figured. I thought on the off chance you hadnt you'd have a couple hundred pages to look forward to.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

So over the past week I reread As I Lay Dying and The Great Gatsby.

As far as solitary activities go, I don't think anything can beat rereading great literature with a laptop close at hand for easy access to a dictionary and Google Images.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:01 am 

Dreww wrote:

As far as solitary activities go, I don't think anything can beat rereading great literature with a laptop close at hand for easy access to a dictionary and Google Images.

Great Gatsby is always a great one to return to (As I Lay Dying is something i need to read again, kinda went over my head the first time). Probably, on my list of 5 or so "perfect" books just in terms of the prose. Did you find anything interessting using google images?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 am 

Dreww wrote:

i like doing that too with some of my slimmer favorite novels. focusing really hard on a 200 page book for a few days that could be read in a few hours is very nice. i did it with gatsby, and the fall and the stranger somewhat recently. i actually have a small stack of books like those to dive into whenever i have a few days of time to really focus and relax with them. oh and i reread [i]cat's cradle[/i] the other day in almost one sitting. these rereads make me realize just how shitty and lazy of a reader i was in high school, but make me feel better about myself today.

now i'm reading farewell my lovely by raymond chandler. i started reading it on his birthday two days ago without realizing it. i love his kind of detective novel, and it's a nice change of pace intellectually and less demanding than reading economics textbooks all day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm 

Finished Finnegans Wake. Review

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:23 pm 

Last book I finished was As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann (10/10).

It's set during the English Civil War and the main plot focuses on two soldiers who end up as lovers in what is a really really tumultuous and even toxic relationship. All I can say is that I found it to be a brilliantly written rollercoaster of a book but also that I think I have been seriously emotionally damaged by it...I was so drawn into it that I finished it in a couple days (it's a 500+ page book) and I haven't had the will to start reading anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:13 pm 

Finished Vineland finally. It lacks the scope of Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon, which is probably why it'll never be considered one of his major works, but it's pretty much on the same level. It's his most personal novel and his most incisive. Very sad and nostalgic - and angry at the current state of America (in the 80s).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 pm 

I'm not sure how this is possible, but I am increasingly convinced that the sentences-that-can-kill:sentences ratio in Nabokov's Ada, or Ardor, is greater than 1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm 

It's a little odd that perhaps the greatest English writer of prose came from the Russian aristocracy.

The first part of Ada is really something, pnoom. Enjoy it while it lasts because I found there to be a bit of a drop in quality once the story moves into the more splintered second half. That said, I don't remember much of the plot beyond that point, so maybe my memory of the quality of writing is wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:58 pm 

Just got Wittgenstein's Mistress and The Recognitions in the mail. Need to finish up Atonement and then I'll start the former. I want to clean my slate up before starting Gaddis.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:27 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
It's a little odd that perhaps the greatest English writer of prose came from the Russian aristocracy.

The first part of Ada is really something, pnoom. Enjoy it while it lasts because I found there to be a bit of a drop in quality once the story moves into the more splintered second half. That said, I don't remember much of the plot beyond that point, so maybe my memory of the quality of writing is wrong.

Bummer if true.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:44 pm 

I'm currently reading "Just Kids" by Patti Smith. I usually don't like reading biographies, memoirs or whatever because I find them very boring. But in this case it has actually been very interesting and it describes the world of artists, which I find quite intriguing. I'm 1/3 through it and it's great so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:36 pm 

Just started heart of darkness (again) about 15 minutes ago. Hoping to have it done by tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
Finished Vineland finally. It lacks the scope of Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon, which is probably why it'll never be considered one of his major works, but it's pretty much on the same level. It's his most personal novel and his most incisive. Very sad and nostalgic - and angry at the current state of America (in the 80s).

I'm reading it on the basis of this comment, now halfway through, and I really have to disagree with this. I think you may have forgotten just how great those two novels really are. There's hardly a wasted sentence in Gravity's Rainbow, whereas in Vineland I feel like I have to wait and wait and wait for the good ones, and when they finally come they just aren't good enough. I never finished Mason & Dixon but the little I read of it was way better than this. It's definitely Pynchon's hollowest book, imo.

Edit: I should also say that I recently bumped into someone in Barnes and Noble who was looking at the Pynchons (I was looking for the latest Roth) and we struck up a conversation. We got to talking about Pynchon's novels and of course eventually started giving our respective rankings, and he placed The Crying of Lot 49 at the bottom. This is an opinion I seem to encounter more and more, sometimes given with good reason and sometimes given with bad, but as I started defending the novel it became clearer and clearer to me that the guy had just rushed through the book without thinking about it at all. Now, I don't expect anyone (especially anyone my age) to read with the Nazi-like rigor that I have adopted, but this guy didn't even know what the "lot" of the title referred to. Didn't have a clue. How can you read a book by a guy, claim he is your favorite author, and not know what the fucking title even means? I had always read about and seen in movies characters who would pretend to read certain novels just to seem impressive, but in real life the phenomenon is even more deeply horrifying than anything in my wildest imagination. It's not horrifying because "Oh I am a better reader and my sensibilities are offended by people who can't read well". It's more of a sadness. Why do people waste their lives doing things that they don't want to do? Yesterday I read Whitman's "The Sleepers" and it sent me into the highest ecstasy. That's why I read. Because it's a powerful experience. I urge everyone in life: never pretend. If you don't like reading novels then stop reading them. Be honest with yourself about what you do and don't like, about what you enjoy reading and don't enjoy reading. Do not lie to yourself. And that is only the starting point. Life is too short.

Last edited by Dreww on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 58  Next