DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books You're Reading/Books You've Read (review/rate it)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:08 pm 

Led for your Head wrote:
I'm having a Russian themed quarter at school. Read some Pushkin (The Queen of Spades and The Stone Guest), Gogol (The Overcoat and The Nose). Reading War and Peace and Crime and Punishment, and eventually some stuff by Chekhov.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:17 pm 

might be more than a thousand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:16 pm 

Led for your Head wrote:
I'm having a Russian themed quarter at school. Read some Pushkin (The Queen of Spades and The Stone Guest), Gogol (The Overcoat and The Nose). Reading War and Peace and Crime and Punishment, and eventually some stuff by Chekhov.

im taking a russian lit course, too. but i think it's mostly earlier stuff, only up until around Pushkin. Have you read him yet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:53 pm 

I'm reading Dracula right now, and enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:59 pm 

gatz wrote:
Led for your Head wrote:

im taking a russian lit course, too. but i think it's mostly earlier stuff, only up until around Pushkin. Have you read him yet?

Yup. But I'm taking two classes. One just for War and Peace and the rest of the stuff in the other.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:27 pm 

Led for your Head wrote:
gatz wrote:
Led for your Head wrote:

Yup. But I'm taking two classes. One just for War and Peace and the rest of the stuff in the other.

Yeah it's weird because when i read some other russian works Pushkin was always brought up and treated as such an absolute giant, so i was excited to read him. I haven't read much, but yeah, he definitely has his thing going. What did you think of what you read of him?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 am 

Just finished Cornel West's The American Evasion of Philosophy. Probably about a 7/10. Was really useful since I've been interested in the American pragmatist tradition for a while. This book explained a bunch of trends within it and looked at a bunch of its thinkers and really helped solidify for me what I can take from the tradition and what doesn't interest me as much. Very clearly written, too, though some of his stylistic tics annoyed me (like introducing every new thinker with a superlative statement of their importance).

I'm still reading Dreyfus on Heidegger, but since fall break is this weekend and it's a friend's book, I don't want to bring it home in case I forget it, so I'm bringing the following instead:

Ludwig Wittgenstein - On Certainty
Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spake Zarathustra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:18 am 

the way zarathustra is written really intimidates me and my attention span

my roommate last year wanted to read it for a paper he was writing but never opened it until a day or two before it was due, thinking he could read a medium length book in no more than two days. i remember him opening it, scanning the first page, and yelling FUCK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 am 

gatz wrote:
Yeah it's weird because when i read some other russian works Pushkin was always brought up and treated as such an absolute giant, so i was excited to read him. I haven't read much, but yeah, he definitely has his thing going. What did you think of what you read of him?

Big fan actually. His title of the Russian Shakespeare isn't without merit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:18 am 

Pat C wrote:
the way zarathustra is written really intimidates me and my attention span

my roommate last year wanted to read it for a paper he was writing but never opened it until a day or two before it was due, thinking he could read a medium length book in no more than two days. i remember him opening it, scanning the first page, and yelling FUCK.

:lol:

Yeah, Nietzsche demands that you give him time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:29 am 
Snow by Orhan Pamuk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:28 pm 

Currently I am reading Ken Kesey'a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. which is good.

Previously I was doing a LOTR marathon. That was of course very good. And Twain's Tom Sawyer, which is also always a fun read.

Next on the agenda, I might re-read Pride and Prejudice or I might read Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:01 pm 

Just got given the Hunger Games and some Terry Pratchett to feast on as a break from Ellis and Kafka.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 am 

Finlandia wrote:
Currently I am reading Ken Kesey'a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. which is good.

Previously I was doing a LOTR marathon. That was of course very good. And Twain's Tom Sawyer, which is also always a fun read.

Next on the agenda, I might re-read Pride and Prejudice or I might read Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage.

man i really don't like that book. granted, i was in 8th grade when i read it, so things may be different now

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:18 pm 

Finished White Oleander-Janet Fitch

9/10

Phenomenal throughout, but that ending was sooo sub-par. Still, definitely a favorite novel of mine now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 60  Next