DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Literary Theory/Criticism
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm 

Some people think this is the most boring thing on earth, while many others fight over it to the death.

For those who don't know much about theory, these courses are a great resource:
http://videolectures.net/yaleengl300s09 ... iterature/

Post subject: Re: Literary Theory/Criticism
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm 

I think I'm going to audit a class on this this semester, and I'll also watch those lectures at some point.

Will post more in this thread after doing those things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 pm 

Dreww wrote:
For those who don't know much about theory, these courses are a great resource:
http://videolectures.net/yaleengl300s09 ... iterature/

I got about three minutes into it before it knocked me out; not in the Tyson way but in that sort of non-chemical sedative way. Always thought it would kind of interest me but I guess I'm in that former pack. Fry seriously has Don Knotts' voice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

I like Derrida and Barthes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm 

Really? Derrida seems like the platonic form of ballsack based on everything I've heard about him.

I'm taking lit theory now so hopefully I'll emerge with a more in-depth understanding of his project, but I've rarely come across anyone who thinks/thought he was anything but a charlatan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 pm 

I like the idea of deconstructing a text, and talking of signs and signifies and how they relate in real life; the author of a text; and using philosophy with literacy criticism to object to modern french politics, or ask ethical questions. Never said i agree with him, and i dont know who calls him a charlatan, but its very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 pm 

Chemical Ali wrote:
I like the idea of deconstructing a text, and talking of signs and signifies and how they relate in real life; the author of a text; and using philosophy with literacy criticism to object to modern french politics, or ask ethical questions.

Fair enough, it does seem like it could be interesting, at least in some cases.

Quote:
Never said i agree with him, and i dont know who calls him a charlatan, but its very interesting.

Searle, Leiter, and Feyerabend are three I know off the top of my head.

Brian Leither wrote:
It is impossible in the abstract to assess this proposition, but surely it bears noting that a primary reason for skepticism about Derrida is that overwhelmingly those who engage in philosophical scholarship on figures like Plato and Nietzsche and Husserl find that Derrida misreads the texts, in careless and often intentionally flippant ways, inventing meanings, lifting passages out of context, misunderstanding philosophical arguments, and on and on. Derrida was the bad reader par excellence, who had the gall to conceal his scholarly recklessness within a theoretical framework. He was the figure who did more violence than any other to what Nietzsche had aptly called "the great, the incomparable art of reading well," "of reading facts without falsifying them by interpretation, without losing caution, patience, delicacy, in the desire to understand" (The Antichrist, sections 59 and 52).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 pm 

Foucault calls himself a Nietzschian and talked about him highly. Never heard those disputes, but then again i never heard of him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 pm 

Brian Leiter is a fairly prominent Nietzsche scholar and he runs by far the most important philosophy blog on the internet. http://leiterreports.typepad.com/

I honestly don't know all that much about either Foucault or Derrida at this point, but I do have a fair amount of respect for Foucault based on what I have heard, much moreso than Derrida.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 pm 
I guess the only problem I have with literary theory (or at least how a lot of people use them) is that so much of the stuff that I read during college or we discussed in classes is so pigeonholed, that you had to put on a certain mask (rather than pair of glasses or lenses) for a whole paper, to the point where people literary critics just wear that mask their whole lives to the point of being a "marxist critic," (just an example) instead of balancing and calling upon these different theories in unison and proportion when discussing literature. Dreww has echoed his same, or at least similar, problems with a lot of literary criticism before. As a result, about 99% of the stuff professors pump out is utter garbage, but if you toss the new historical journal a piece of new historical garbage and get published, you keep your job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am 

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to agree with you and dreww, unkie. "Pigeonholing" is the best way to describe the main flaw of this entire practice. It's way more of a subjective thing than professors and, in general, all of literary academia seem to make you want to think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:03 pm 

pnoom wrote:
Brian Leiter is a fairly prominent Nietzsche scholar and he runs by far the most important philosophy blog on the internet. http://leiterreports.typepad.com/

I honestly don't know all that much about either Foucault or Derrida at this point, but I do have a fair amount of respect for Foucault based on what I have heard, much moreso than Derrida.

http://books.google.com/books?id=31xclr ... lt&f=false

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 pm 

UGH, i do not prefer her to anything

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 pm 

Hahaha that sounds exactly like what Feyerabend would say.

Though I should note that Rand's dogmatic rejection of basically the entire history of western thought (other than Aristotle, as noted) runs entirely against Feyerabend's ideals (no idea is too far-fetched, too refuted to aid in human knowledge) and I doubt he particularly respected her. I imagine that he liked her relative clarity as opposed to the obscurantism of people like Derrida, and there's something to that, however vile Rand's ethics might be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:38 pm 

Just realized that the heavy use of cyborg/android imagery in last year's two major feminist-pop concept albums (Body Talk and The ArchAndroid) obviously has its roots in Donna Haraway's "Manifesto For Cyborgs". Crazy that two major pop albums of the same rather obscure ideological basis from a paper in 80s came out within the same year in the 21st century.