It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 pm 

I love how you're giving a partially-scathing review to a performance by a bunch of elementary schoolers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:09 pm 

(a) The age range was k-12, not just elementary school. (b) If you look at my actual complaints, I complain about the staging (done by adults) and the writing (done by adults). The only complaint that actually pertained to the kids was about the acting, which I hardly went overboard about. I just noted a disparity between the quality in Act 1 and Act 2. (c) Nothing in that review was anywhere close to scathing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:26 pm 

Ah. You said "kids", so I immediately assumed it was elementary schoolers. And yeah, I could have used a less, ahem, scathing word.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:41 pm 

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/07 ... em_to.html

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:37 pm 

It's for ESL speakers, but I still think it's a really stupid way to capitalize on the work's reputation. They can't just have them read simpler works? My school made its ESL kids read "Number the Stars."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
It's for ESL speakers, but I still think it's a really stupid way to capitalize on the work's reputation. They can't just have them read simpler works? My school made its ESL kids read "Number the Stars."

My school didn't have ESL kids (I went to a very small private high school) but this is goddamned ridiculous.

Seriously, have them start on something like a YA novel...something with an equal amount of meaning with less complication, rather than assaulting The Great Gatsby.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:17 am 

You think you're Mickey Spillane? You think you're some kind of a fuckin' writer?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:11 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 am 

hahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:56 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americannovel/

pbs really is a great organisation.

anyone read William Dean Howells A HAZARD OF NEW FORTUNES?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm 

Derrida's alleged way of dealing with the discovery of his deconstructionist buddy Paul de Man's Nazi writings.

Jacques Derrida wrote:
Who is Paul De Man? In circumscribing this thought, we must look closely at the text. De Man. What is De Man? Some journalistic philosophy imposters want to imply that De Man is a Nazi. But how can De Man be a Nazi? After all he is De Man. On the one hand, De Man looks like a Nazi. On the other hand, he is De Man. This text is valorized already always. De Man is surely the Man. How can the Man be a Nazi? On the one hand, “the Man” refers to dictatorial oppression. But on the other hand, “the Man” is an object of admiration, as in “he’s da Man.” Dialectically, the latter wins out, as shown by American dialect. In American slang “he’s da Man” means “he’s the Dude.” The Dude. The Dude cannot be a Nazi. De Man is now seen always already to be Da Man. Da Man is The Dude.

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2 ... faces.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:57 pm 

<-- not sure if you can tell it's a parody

On the other hand, his way of thanking people at the end of his book Dissemination:

Quote:
Moving off of itself, forming itself wholly therein, almost without remainder, writing denies and recognizes its debt in a single dash. The utmost disintegration of the signature, far from the center, indeed from the secrets that are shared there, divided up so as to scatter over their ashes.

Though the letter gains strength solely from this indirection, and granted that it can always not arrive at the other side, I will not use this as a pretext to absent myself from the punctuality of a dedication: [list of people], others, il y a la cendre, will recognize, perhaps, what their reading has contributed here.

One day I will read this work as a surrealist project that takes Finnegans Wake to its logical conclusion, abandoning sense altogether and simply being a nightmare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm 

I can tell. :lol:

And that thank page is hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:09 pm 

I am so bad at recognizing internet deadpan.

On the plus side, Emerson arrived today (also some Northrop Frye).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:05 pm 

this is what I want for Christmas
http://pitchfork.com/features/paper-tra ... cred-test/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next