It is currently Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 100 Greatest Video Games Series/Franchises (Updated 30.3.13)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:56 pm 

Didn't see this list, has it been done before? If we can get to a 100.

Any suggestions? As I've probably missed some really obvious ones. Order of the top 2 will probably end up being debated quite heavily. :lol:

As a very rough kick off point (yes, I know it's rough and shit, it was just supposed to kick off discussion):

Criteria: Acclaim, Influence, Innovation, Gaming Impact, Cultural Impact, Popularity

1. Mario (Nintendo)
2. The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo)
3. Final Fantasy (Square)
4. Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar)
5. Metal Gear (Konami)
6. Pokemon (Nintendo)
7. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
8. Half Life (Valve)
9. Call of Duty (Activision)
10. Resident Evil (Capcom)

11. The Sims (EA)
12. FIFA (EA Sports)
13. Madden NFL (EA Sports)
14. Street Fighter (Capcom)
15. Dragon Quest (Square/Nintendo)
16. Halo (Bungie)
17. Doom (GT Interactive)
18. Mass Effect (Bioware)
19. Metroid (Nintendo)
20. Wii Sports (Nintendo)

21. Pac-Man (Namco)
22. Portal (Valve)
23. Tomb Raider (Eidos Interactive/Square Enix)
24. Donkey Kong (Nintendo/Rare/Capcom)
25. Tekken (Namco)
26. Castlevania (Konami)
27. The Elder Scrolls (Bethesda)
28. Side Mier’s Civilization (Activision)
29. Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven (Konami)
30. Battlefield (EA)

31. Assasin’s Creed (Ubisoft)
32. Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog + Others)
33. Uncharted (Naughty Dog)
34. Gran Turismo (Sony)
35. Bioshock (Irrational Games)
36. Need for Speed (EA)
37. WWE (THQ/2K Sport)
38. Silent Hill (Konami)
39. Mega Man (Capcom)
40. Mortal Kombat (Midway)

41. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo)
42. Tony Hawk (Activision)
43. God of War (SCE)
44. Spyro the Dragon (Insomniac)
45. Kirby (Nintendo)
46. NBA (EA)
47. Lego (Numerous)
48. Bomberman (Hudson Soft)
49. Fallout (Bethesda)
50. Ratchet & Clank (Insomniac)

Last edited by Avery_Island on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Video Games Series/Franchises
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 am 

If you include The Sims, you should throw the SimCity franchise in there as well. Should at least warrant a place in the Top 50 or so.

I see that you've just listed World of Warcraft, which at this point is just a single game and a bunch of expansions. It would make more sense just list the entire Warcraft franchise as a whole.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 am 

I think Pokemon could take MGS. At the very least, it's close.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 am 

piper wrote:
If you include The Sims, you should throw the SimCity franchise in there as well. Should at least warrant a place in the Top 50 or so.

I see that you've just listed World of Warcraft, which at this point is just a single game and a bunch of expansions. It would make more sense just list the entire Warcraft franchise as a whole.

Yeah, makes sense.

Deany wrote:
I think Pokemon could take MGS. At the very least, it's close.

Yeah, for sure. I think Pokemon always suffers for acclaim a bit though, but that's more down to handheld games being looked down a bit I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 am 

But Pokemon is arguably the most acclaimed of its medium. It certain wins popularity and cultural impact, while gaming impact and influence are close.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm 

Location: JK Simmons has won the Oscar for Best Supporting Ac-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I don't think two games really warrants Chrono's inclusion. Mana and Assassin's Creed and God of War need consideration as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:00 pm 

Sherick wrote:
I don't think two games really warrants Chrono's inclusion.

Especially since quite a few Trigger fans really hate Cross.

I think the Mario franchise should be #1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 am 

hardcore gamers are probably gonna agree with Zelda being number 1, but Mario to me just has too much going for it. Massive mainstream popularity, not only with gamers, but with casual gamers and also people who don't even play games (who might have a difficult time naming off any Zelda game). critical acclaim is probably for Zelda, but its very very close imo. Artistically, Ocarina of Time may trump Mario in terms of innovation and influence, but as a whole I think the Mario franchise has been more important, especially the earlier games (particularly 1 and 3) and then Mario 64. Plus just look at how expansive the franchise has become, with the Paper Mario games, the Mario Party games, the Mario Sports games. i think they even had like a Mario rock band or something at one point. and the character is the major part of the marketing for Smash Brothers and Mario Kart (if we separate that as its own series), not to mention its the primary system seller for Nintendo.

don't know if i'll win this argument amongst serious gamers though. Zelda definitely has a more loyal fanbase.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 am 

Location: JK Simmons has won the Oscar for Best Supporting Ac-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Zelda is also far more consistent; I don't think there's a single canonical game that can be called subpar (Spirit Tracks gets crap, but even that is a more than decent game). The Mario franchise gets hurt from been so far reaching that it has spawned a bunch of stinkers in its periphary series (plus Sunshine). I also would not discount how incredibly innovative and influential the original was; it's actually worth arguing if the jump from arcade to SMB was greater than the jump from that to LOZ.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Zelda is also far more consistent; I don't think there's a single canonical game that can be called subpar (Spirit Tracks gets crap, but even that is a more than decent game). The Mario franchise gets hurt from been so far reaching that it has spawned a bunch of stinkers in its periphary series (plus Sunshine).

Yea but it's not necessarily about the greatest signal to noise ratio, it's about the greater pop culture impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm 

Acclaim: Zelda
Influence: Zelda by the slightest hair
Innovation: Tie or Mario, again slightly
Gaming Impact: Mario
Cultural Impact: Mario
Popularity: Mario

So yeah that's a point to be made. Still think Zelda should be #1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm 

pave wrote:
hardcore gamers are probably gonna agree with Zelda being number 1, but Mario to me just has too much going for it. Massive mainstream popularity, not only with gamers, but with casual gamers and also people who don't even play games (who might have a difficult time naming off any Zelda game). critical acclaim is probably for Zelda, but its very very close imo. Artistically, Ocarina of Time may trump Mario in terms of innovation and influence, but as a whole I think the Mario franchise has been more important, especially the earlier games (particularly 1 and 3) and then Mario 64. Plus just look at how expansive the franchise has become, with the Paper Mario games, the Mario Party games, the Mario Sports games. i think they even had like a Mario rock band or something at one point. and the character is the major part of the marketing for Smash Brothers and Mario Kart (if we separate that as its own series), not to mention its the primary system seller for Nintendo.

don't know if i'll win this argument amongst serious gamers though. Zelda definitely has a more loyal fanbase.

I'm not so sure about Mario games being more important. I think the original tLoZ and aLttP arguably laid down more foundations we now see in video games than the early Mario games did. They pretty much laid the blueprint of every action, open world and/or RPG game since.

For me, it's similar to the Godfather vs Citizen Kane debate on the greatest film debate and how much acclaim is weighted in comparison to popularity and how much more Mario takes popularity more than Zelda takes acclaim.

As I said, it will no doubt be debated a lot and I can happily go either way on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 pm 

For me the kicker is the fact that OoT (although the greater game) not to mention every console Zelda game after it, had a playstyle that was directly influenced by Super Mario 64. Mario couldn't equip items and Link couldn't jump. Nintendo needed Mario to be the proverbial guinea pig for their 3d transition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 pm 

Link could jump in previous Zelda games. The only difference was, instead of choosing to assign it to a button, on OoT it was automatic so as to save buttons for items and that's simply jumping, the mechanism/point of jumping in both games is very different.

I don't think the play style of the two is that similar tbh. There are bits taken from it, sure, but that works both ways though. The open world/multiple direction style of Mario 64 was taken from the 2D Zelda games for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 am 

Creative Assembly's Total War franchise is a glaring omission. Are you including the other Warcraft games under the WoW banner? There were at least 3 Warcraft games before it.