DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 pm 

Quote:
A good example of what displeases me about modern gaming, is how games have become way too convoluted because everyone (btw everyone is stupid) feels like a game absolutely HAS to have a LOT of features and a ridiculous length to be worth it's price tag. This sacrifices quality for quantity. I'd definitely take a shorter game that keeps things simple using only the best ideas that the developer had.

This would be a fair point if it weren't for shit like MW2 which so many people lapped up. There are plenty of modern games that are relatively simple. Your arguments on this matter are akin to the classic rock fan claiming there are no good bands around anymore, but who hasn't looked further than the top 40 charts to find any.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm 

I'm not saying there are no longer original games or simple games or games in a retro style.

Just that nobody wants to have anything to do with them and those who do are written off as "nostalgia fags" who don't want the industry to progress..... because generic online shooters is progress.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:56 pm 

I - A good game, really simplistic though, and there's basically no guidance at all. You kind of just wander around until you come across a dungeon or village. I could never beat the final dungeon though... tedious 16 floor dungeon, have to re-fight the 4 previous bosses, and then the final boss.

II - Only played it a little while. I didn't enjoy it all that much, though it wasn't terrible or anything.

III - Never seen it or played it.

IV - Loved this one. Interesting that nearly every village gets destroyed and tons of your characters die permanently. Has a much darker feel to it than the previous games.

V - I got pretty far on this one, but never beat it. It was a good game, though not quite as good as IV. More of the crystal collecting, of course.

VI - One of the best FF games. Disappointed that General Leo isn't a playable character though...

VII - Also an amazing game. My first time playing it I stopped somewhere on the 2nd disc I believe, and wasn't too impressed with it. Then one day I just decided to play it again and start over.. really glad I did. It stands as one of my favorite games now.

VIII - Underrated in my opinion. The beginning of the game in the academy was boring as all hell, but it becomes a really great game.

IX - The graphics are stupid, but the game is quite good. Also wasn't impressed with this one at first, but it grew on pretty fast.

X - Always thought it was overrated. Tidus is a total fag, and the ending of the game is absolutely stupid. It's still a good game... be not as good as the 3 that came before it.

X-2 - Never played it, don't plan on it.

XI - Not sure why this was online only. I watched a friend play it and it looked cool, never played it myself though.

XII - Summons are useless. Not a bad game but not the best. Didn't finish it either.

XIII - Watched a friend play it. It looked much too complex and retarded for me to get into. His Xbox got the red ring of death, so looks like he'll never finish it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 pm 

As much as I love the old school gameplay/retro look of the original. The SNES games were definitely a huge step forward for the series.

Anyway, Final Fantasy X looks fucking gorgeous, though I wish they would make a FF game that actually looked like Amano's promo art.

He had such a distinctive and inspired visual style that mixed Art Nouveau and Ukiyo-e, and they replaced him with Tetsuya Nomura whose artwork is pretty much on the same level of generic anime stuff you see everywhere on DeviantArt.

I know a lot of FF fans are morons who hate Amano's work because it's "scribbled" and not "preportionate" and whatever. Gamers really have bland and awful taste in aesthetics these days, I'll tell you what.

I mean, this is what Final Fantasy art used to look like.

And this is what it looks like now

Meh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Quote:
VIII - Underrated in my opinion. The beginning of the game in the academy was boring as all hell, but it becomes a really great game.

:cheers:
One of my favorites.

The summons are truly useless in XII (though sometimes they do come in handy, against certain powerful bosses, or if you're being swarmed in a tough area). Honestly, its more about the quest than the reward in those cases, cause some of the best explorations are for espers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:30 pm 

thejew wrote:
IX - The graphics are stupid, but the game is quite good. Also wasn't impressed with this one at first, but it grew on pretty fast.

Actually because of it's super deformed style I find it to be one of the more appealing looking games in the series.

In fact it looks REALLY good for a PS1 game, I'm impressed by how smoot and detailed it looks, especially when compared to the super blocky look of VII.

Last edited by boo boo on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm 

boo boo wrote:
As much as I love the old school gameplay/retro look of the original. The SNES games were definitely a huge step forward for the series.

Anyway, Final Fantasy X looks fucking gorgeous, though I wish they would make a FF game that actually looked like Amano's promo art.

He had such a distinctive and inspired visual style that mixed Art Nouveau and Ukiyo-e, and they replaced him with Tetsuya Nomura whose artwork is pretty much on the same level of generic anime stuff you see everywhere on DeviantArt.

I know a lot of FF fans are morons who hate Amano's work because it's "scribbled" and not "preportionate" and whatever. Gamers really have bland and awful taste in aesthetics these days, I'll tell you what.

I mean, this is what Final Fantasy art used to look like.

And this is what it looks like now

Meh.

Different styles, good in their own ways. The quality of the artwork is better in the VI picture, but the quality of the design isn't. FFVII's was overall more memorable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

I saw what you read before I saw your username and knew only you could say something that stupid.

I know that a lot of FF fans are design fetishists who have DeviantArt accounts where they put up their boring artwork, they really know nothing about art but they pretend they do and that it's all about technical things like preportion and symmetry and such.

I don't care how "unreal" some of Amano's art work is, they're aesthetically way more imaginative and immersive, they convey a wonderful fantasy feel.

Nomura's art conveys more of a saturday morning kids anime feel.

One more time.

Amano.

Nomura.

Last edited by boo boo on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:48 pm 

I couldn't care less about "symmetry" or whatever but beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I guess that's a concept you cannot grasp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:51 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Amano's artwork is far more creative and evocative. It really fits those games so well, its hard not to think of FFVI just by glancing at the watercolors. Big part of my development in childhood right there...however personally I do like Nomura's stuff as well. His character designs are exactly as boo put it, and that gets old, but I actually like the way they're drawn, even if it is somewhat conventional.
I loved the character designs in Dissidia.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:53 pm 

boo boo wrote:

Well, this is easy, since Kingdom Hearts sucks cock. The art design was awful throughout.

I can agree that Amano's character designs at least are overall more creative, but beyond that, I prefer the art design in the VII in particular to any of the prior games. Especially the creature concepts and locales.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:23 pm 

Let's not forget what's really important here: the music was far better in the first half of the series. Not that every game doesn't have great music, but the 2D ones were full of phenomenal music, peaking, like everything else, in VI.
I remember VII was atop the old site's list of greatest VG scores, and I kinda suspect that was some sort of prank.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

Oh come off it. VII has easily the best soundtrack of the bunch. Tracks like One Winged Angel or Those Chosen By The Planet are far more iconic than anything that came before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:43 pm 

There's three or four really good tracks off that, but overall the soundtrack is considerably weaker than its predecessors. That whole list was a joke: I think X was the second highest FF, and VI was in the bottom 50 :lol: Yeah, the one that even Uematsu said he has never nor will ever be able to equal and carries the most acclaim, as well as three of the most innovative and influential pieces of the medium.

You just keep telling yourself that TCBTP is more iconic than Clash on the Big Bridge, the battle theme from FFII, Dancing Mad, the Chocobo theme, the FFIV Overworld or The Decisive Battle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:47 pm 

I'm going to have to disagree with you very strongly. "The Great Warrior" or "Shinra Company" easily rival anything from any of the previous games. I think the soundtrack is consistently strong from start to finish. TCBTP may not be more iconic, but One Winged Angel sure as fuck is.

That being said, IX's soundtrack is my probably my personal favourite come to think of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next