DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Final Fantasy Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:34 pm 

Discuss Final Fantasy here.

Last edited by dart1001 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
VI
XII
The rest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:18 am 

The NES and SNES games are classics, and also the quite underrated Final Fantasy Adventure for the GB.

I haven't played VII or any of the following games. IMO Square perfected the RPG with their various SNES titles. Now they seem more desperate in keeping this old timey genre alive and making it more appealing to "modern" gamers, but modern gamers plain and simply prefer western MMORPGs with no story that pretend to have depth by forcing you to keep up with a bunch of ridiculous technical bullshit.

"We don't want no anime bullshit, we just want to kill a lot, cuz that's something we don't do in video games often enough. DURR."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 am 

VII > the rest. IX and VIII are also good. VI is probably the most overrated game of all time. Everything after X sucks donkey balls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:42 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
boo boo wrote:
The NES and SNES games are classics, and also the quite underrated Final Fantasy Adventure for the GB.

I haven't played VII or any of the following games. IMO Square perfected the RPG with their various SNES titles. Now they seem more desperate in keeping this old timey genre alive and making it more appealing to "modern" gamers, but modern gamers plain and simply prefer western MMORPGs with no story that pretend to have depth by forcing you to keep up with a bunch of ridiculous technical bullshit.

"We don't want no anime bullshit, we just want to kill a lot, cuz that's something we don't do in video games often enough. DURR."

Agree with that last part. Its telling that the most popular RPGs over here are Fallout and Bioshock, games that hide role-playing elements behind a Half-Time fascade. Cause apparently everybody here are like Adam Sessler and uncomfortable with anime asthetics and shonen characters (which personally I love). Nevermind that these games have some of the best stories in all gaming, and some of the most interesting game modes (I know the battle systems can get tedious though). That said, Fallout is still fun as fuck.

If nothing else, you should check out XII, its a real departure from any of the previous games, and not just in the gameplay element. It actually seems to be finding some middle ground between the traditional JRPG and the emerging Western style. Naturally it got a lot of criticism for this, but I'm glad that most people who are open-minded enough see some semblence of brilliance there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 pm 

While I haven't played VII it doesn't strike me as impressive as VI was. VI was a gorgeous game and while I'm sure VII has inspired visuals of it's own, it's one of those games that could use an enhanced remake to better take advantage of Nojima's vision. I usually don't like it when they do enhanced remakes, because I generally prefer the retro look of the classics. But I think they can make exception with 32 bit super polygonal 3D graphics.

Also Tetsuya Nomura's character design is nowhere near as imaginative as Yoshitaka Amano's. Amano's artwork and visual style was the biggest drawl of the Final Fantasy franchise for me and that has been missing ever since the 5th gen.

Sherick wrote:
boo boo wrote:

Agree with that last part. Its telling that the most popular RPGs over here are Fallout and Bioshock, games that hide role-playing elements behind a Half-Time fascade. Cause apparently everybody here are like Adam Sessler and uncomfortable with anime asthetics and shonen characters (which personally I love). Nevermind that these games have some of the best stories in all gaming, and some of the most interesting game modes (I know the battle systems can get tedious though). That said, Fallout is still fun as fuck.

If nothing else, you should check out XII, its a real departure from any of the previous games, and not just in the gameplay element. It actually seems to be finding some middle ground between the traditional JRPG and the emerging Western style. Naturally it got a lot of criticism for this, but I'm glad that most people who are open-minded enough see some semblence of brilliance there.

Adam Sessler is a fucking assclown, the only reason people even bother watching X Play nowadays is Morgan Webb's boobs and nothing else.

I like anime aesthetics also obviously, granted they can become a cliche and a crutch for which JRPGs overly rely on. But SNES games like FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were set in some truly imaginative worlds, for which the anime aesthetics suited them perfectly.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of RPGs that aren't in the traditional 2D overhead. So I'm not knowledgable in RPGs from the 5th gen and onwards. Granted I've played some of the ones on Game Boy Advance that retain the classic 2D style, like Golden Sun and Superstar Saga, which are great. But that's about it.

MMORPGs don't interest me, WOW does seem to have a tremendous amount of love and detail put into it's world and it actually looks quite appealing, but that immersion is totally fucking ruined when you have a bunch of jackasses running around calling you a nigger faggot, so fuck it that game is a colossal failure. But more so because of the community than the developers.

I do really really want to play Bioshock and Fallout, I didn't know those were considered RPGs. Mass Effect looks very interesting too.

JRPGs is definitely more of my cup of tea, granted it's peak of quality was the 16 bit era and it's been running out of steam ever since.

Last edited by boo boo on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:34 pm 

I love Adam, even if I don't always agree with his taste (he has praised Final Fantasys VI and XII though, as well as Ico, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest). Haven't liked the show since G4 neutered it.

If you're interested in a 3D JRPG with a really old-school feel, I seriously seriously implore you to find Dragon Quest VIII. Talk about a gorgeous, expansive, gorgeous game...I mean, XII was big, but holy damn this thing is immense. I've played one file on and off for two years and I'm still finding things.
Plus it's animated by Toriyama...in 3D.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:52 pm 

Oh ok, Adam can give pretty funny reviews. But any few redeeming moments are quickly forgotten thanks to Morgan Webb, yeah I'd hit it sure, but she's TERRIBLE at giving reviews.

We're talking GameFAQs user review terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:07 am 

Haha yeah, she's totally fine, but she tries too hard to be as funny as Adam when giving reviews. And to be honest, her serious review points typically aren't as inciteful either. They had/have great chemistry though. God I want to scalp everyone else on the show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 am 

If I want funny and entertaining video game reviews, I'll stick with the internet.

I love Stuttering Craig from Screwattack and his VGV reviews, he has that whole sports announcer style going for him that I like.

The AVGN's video games reviews have gotten much better over the years, because they're less forced and gimmicky and more natural, he talks about the game and stuff in a way that's funny but also very insightful and relatable and actually makes you want to play the game even though he's convinced you that it's terrible.

And of course Yahtzee, his vocabulary and delivery is what makes him such a great troll.

Oh yeah I also like those Classic Game Room reviews. It's hosted by a guy named Mark Bussler and he was doing video reviews from way back in 1999, I like his laid back and casual approach and that he does a lot of reviews of old Atari games. I like when he goes off topic talking about something nerdy, "nerdgasms" as I like to call them.

If only most game themed video reviews were on the same level as those guys. Instead you have dipshits like The Irate Gamer and a vast variety of terrible terrible terrible poorly mic'd AVGN ripoffs.

Eventually I will throw my own hat into the ring and do video reviews of my own. I'd do a better job than 99% of the idiots you find on Youtube trying to do it, I'm fairly confident about that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:28 pm 

Final Fantasy VII is my second favorite RPG of all-time, Final Fantasy II (IV) was my first RPG ever and holds a special place in my heart, but I picked it up for SNES, not having played it in over 10 years and I'm not digging it, the battle system just seems too elementary. The other other FF game I've really played is X and X2, which I liked at the time, but in hindsight was more about the graphics, and X2 just plain sucked. As for the rest:

1 = Played on the 1 & 2 GBA combo, didn't think much of it having been jaded with the overbearing storylines of later JRPGs, but picked it up for the NES and played it for about 30 minutes, again, too jaded to appreciate it.

2 = Played it with 1 on the GBA combo pack (this was on a friend's GBA at school, btw).

3 = Never even seen.

5 = Friend had it for PS1, but I never got around to playing it, I think I was more into Suikoden II at that time

6 = Never played, only saw my friends play the opening scene at their house before I was called back to my house cause I needed to clean my room and by the time I was finished, it was too late to walk back.

8 = Kinda the same story as 6, but this time, I just wasn't interested.

9 = Played it for like 10 minutes, didn't care for it.

11 = Never touched

12 = Never touched, but my girlfriend has it, broken PS2, though.

13 = Never touched.

A lot of people have told me that I'd probably dig Dragon Warrior more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:35 pm 

I love the original Final Fantasy, I like those old school 8 bit RPGs, a less defined story in those days meant you had to be imaginative and kinda come up with one yourself, and imagine up personalities and backstories for your characters. That was something I loved doing as a kid and it's one reason I prefer older and simpler games.

Not to say I don't like story driven RPGs. Because I definitely do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:56 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
VII > the rest. IX and VIII are also good. VI is probably the most overrated game of all time. Everything after X sucks donkey balls.

why are your opinions always so wrong? VI is tied for #1 in my book. also xii was decent, but i'll agree that x-2 and 13 are horrendous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:55 pm 

boo boo wrote:

If you haven't played any of the post-VI how the fuck could you know any of this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 am 

I'm a good guesser?

I've seen some of the games in action and know how some of the gameplay mechanics and work and such. Actually I was talking more about the art style than the gameplay.

Amano's character and concept art for the old games was fucking awesome, which had a really cool art nouveau kinda thing going for it. VII traded that in for more generic anime like designs. And X looks like the characters took various David Lee Roth outfits and randomly stitched them together.

I guess I just prefer when the games were more medieval like. Now we have volleyball and J pop karaoke? Well I gotta admit, that IS different from other RPGs. Gotta give it credit for that.

It just doesn't seem like the Final Fantasy I remember, like cramming in all these gameplay features, which are cool on their own, they just seem a bit out of place in the FF universe. I admit I'm starting to sound as bad as all those rose tinted glass wearing fuckholes who never stop bitching about a series for not being like it used to be, but yeah, the new FF games are clearly more modern, that wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't hate modern gaming trends so much as I do.

A good example of what displeases me about modern gaming, is how games have become way too convoluted because everyone (btw everyone is stupid) feels like a game absolutely HAS to have a LOT of features and a ridiculous length to be worth it's price tag. This sacrifices quality for quantity. I'd definitely take a shorter game that keeps things simple using only the best ideas that the developer had.

And now, games get brututally criticized when they are shorter in length, because gamers are idiots who can't criticize worth a fuck. I mean imagine if the movie industry was like that. Well it sorta is. But imagine if two hours were one day considered too short for a movie and you HAD to make it like 40 hours or something even if you had no idea what to fill the time with.

And I prefer shorter games. Because those games have much, much more replay value, they are short and sweet like an orgasm. Nowadays people spend like 50 bucks for a game that lasts like 40 hours, after that time you become really oversatiated with the whole game, so when it's done you just sell it and never fucking touch it again. It's not like movies and music at all, people DON'T want to revisit it.

And yet I've found myself playing Galaga on and off for like 20 years.

If that doesn't prove the "quality over quantity" theory I dunno what does.

EDIT: Btw if someone made an RPG where you play as David Lee Roth, I would totally pay 50 bucks for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next