DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Video Games Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm 

I was going to wager you already said something stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:01 am 

boo boo wrote:
A better way of putting it is "most games for any modern system suck".

What can you do? Video games are bigger than ever, bigger the industry, bigger the market is for crap.

dunno, it doesn't seem like the 360 has any shortage of great games coming out. I own all 3 major systems and the Wii is the only system that I struggle to consistently find good games for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:15 pm 

I'm not saying 360 or PS3 lack good games I'm just saying that a majority of shitty games is to be expected on any console now. Especially when an overwhelming majority of games are licensed games.

And it's not like the old days when games based on movies or cartoons actually had a 50/50 chance of being good because there were actually great developers like Capcom, Konami and Sega making them. Now developers like THQ and Ubisoft seem to have a monopoly on licensed games, which are universially considered terrible or mediocre with few exceptions.

I think of the Wii in a similar way to the N64, a modest library of high tier games is not a terrible thing, even if it could have been better. A lot of people really seem to blame it on Nintendo though. The system isn't suffering when it comes to really good first party titles and at least some third party developers like Capcom, Ubisoft and Sega have made some strong games for it. I don't really buy games as frequently as others.

The reason I have a Wii and not a PS3 or 360 isn't simply because of brand loyalty. I'm not a terribly wealthy person, I would love to have a PS3 and a 360 wouldn't be bad either.

I really don't think there's a bad system. I really can't stand fanboys who cannot look at anything from a reasonable perspective and are compelled to make horribly mic'd Youtube videos where they try to "PROVE" that system X is terrible and system Y is better than everything by ranting like a 6 year old.

I have a lot of respect for gamers who own and appreciate all 3 consoles, acknowledging their pros and cons. Not saying everybody HAS to own all three consoles since I don't, but I would like to.

But seriously all this "your system sucks and mine doesn't" shit is getting old, it's just as bad as it was during the Super NES vs Genesis war when we were kids, it's like gamers haven't matured since then.

Last edited by boo boo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:35 pm 

The Wii is a gimmick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm 

Your mom is a gimmick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 pm 

Does the Wii have any good games? And don't say Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess. The latter was better on the gamecube.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:48 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Does the Wii have any good games?

:facepalm:

1. This is a retarded fucking question to ask, even the fucking Atari Jaguar had a good game or two.
2. You haven't played every game on the system, how can you so confidently say none of them are good?
3. If you have played them all and you write off ALL of them, then you seriously have no taste and discriminate against games based on total ignorance and preconceptions.

Quote:
And don't say Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess. The latter was better on the gamecube.

That's really a matter of preference, obviously it was made FOR the Gamecube. But I actually did like how the WiiMote was used for the game, which makes me greatly anticipate the next game because I definitely expect it to use the WiiMote more creatively.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:52 pm 

I never said that none of them are good, I was simply requesting the names of some good games. You didn't give any. :lol: I've played most of the acclaimed games on the Wii, but I find that the Wiimote tends towards being severely detrimental to the gameplay experience. Most of the games strike me as poor-man's versions of games available on the 360 or PS3.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 pm 

I have several names actually but I won't bother mentioning them because you'll probably say retarded things about them.

I personally think the Wiimote suits the games perfectly fine when implemented well, which I know is challenging to do and I admit that not many developers outside of Nintendo really know how to work with it. But when it works, it really works IMO. I think Galaxy made perfect use of it for example.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:49 am 

Anybody played the new Goldeneye for Wii?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:54 pm 

How is it?

I love Goldeneye, but I'm glad they're giving it a graphical upgrade, but I hope they don't change too much, I'm hoping all those awesome cheat codes remain intact.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:45 pm 

Shame the graphics still look like something from the Dreamcast.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:52 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.

Yep, Dreamcast.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:15 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Shame the graphics still look like something from the Dreamcast.

You realise the Wii is as powerful as the original Xbox right? That system was capable of some amazing stuff, so was the Gamecube and thus so is the Wii. The Wii has had some fantastic looking games and if developers gave it a chance they would find ways to make better use of the hardware.

You look at any system that's been around for a while and you see how later games in it's library have gotten a lot better in graphics and sound. Wii graphics WILL get better, not that there is anything wrong with them as they are.

Oh and I love how looking like games from the past generation somehow equals terrible graphics, like aesthetic appeal has some kind of expiration date. :roll:

Dreamcast was a groundbreaking system for it's time in terms of graphics and they have held up better than a lot of N64 and PS1 games and several especially the Capcom fighters still look fantastic today.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:26 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Oh and I love how looking like games from the past generation somehow equals terrible graphics, like aesthetic appeal has some kind of expiration date. :roll:

It really depends upon the game. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey still looks pretty great, despite being 13 years old; Silent Hill 1 looks like a Picasso painting of a sphincter, despite being two years younger - to use two of my favourite games from the PS1 as examples. Some things age well, others don't. The new Goldeneye doesn't look great compared to both other games of its genre released now and those released several years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next