DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Video Games Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 pm 

I'm very objective truth be told, and I don't talk about games I haven't played as if I have.

Slow movement speed does not = slow mo in the sense that the latter terms is usually understood, i.e. in the Max Payne sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Didn't occur to you that thejew was not referring to slow motion, but slow movement?
And aside from Boo, all of us who have been arguing with you have played Halo quite a bit to varying degrees. You have handwaved an entire branch of gaming, many of which specifically you haven't played.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
Lol, that_guy, what imagination question? Clarify.

Halo stands as a single player experience just fine. The first game was an almost purely SP experience, it didn't even have online implementation and contained a fairly limited number of MP maps as opposed to a 12 hour plus campaign.

Your interpretation of the game as boring is highly subjective - just take a look at the sales of the game and critical reception for proof of that. Your opinions are not the be-all-end-all I'm afraid.

My reasons for suspecting you haven't played the game lie in blatantly false statements such as that Halo: Combat Evolved's missions (known for being some of the longest, most expansive in any first person shooter) take "30 minutes" at most to complete, your comparing of the Halo art style to Riddick when they have absolutely nothing in common, and your general lack of knowledge of the games. I can see through your posts pretty easily, so you might want to start trying harder.

And Thejew, Halo doesn't have a slo-mo gameplay feature. Please actually play these games before you claim to have played them. Otherwise you make yourself look like a ten year old drooling fanboy.

I have played them you fucker, you mentioned "slow movement speed" which was what I was addressing. My friend Alex and I used to play Halo 3 on live all the time. I loved that pink looking gun that shot crystals everywhere, and my friend loved using that huge hammer thing and we both were quite good with the sword. Been a while since I've played it (about a year though).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:22 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Didn't occur to you that thejew was not referring to slow motion, but slow movement?
And aside from Boo, all of us who have been arguing with you have played Halo quite a bit to varying degrees. You have handwaved an entire branch of gaming, many of which specifically you haven't played.

Watch this magical thing I'm about to do Curiosity..

Slow Movement

Well, now look at that. And then there's the fact that the word motion and movement are synonymous. Idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 am 

Sherick wrote:

Nope. As I said, I don't judge games that I haven't played. Infact, I tend to play them thoroughly (often multiple times through) before making a judgement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:26 am 

thejew wrote:
Sherick wrote:

Slow Movement

Well, now look at that. And then there's the fact that the word motion and movement are synonymous. Idiot.

Lol, damage control. You know what you originally meant, and upon learning that feature was not a part of the game.... DAMAGE CONTROL TIME.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:40 pm 

http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-wahlberg- ... uncharted/
:facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
thejew wrote:
Sherick wrote:

Slow Movement

Lol, damage control. You know what you originally meant, and upon learning that feature was not a part of the game.... DAMAGE CONTROL TIME.

Eh, there's not point of even trying with you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:01 am 

Curio got mr. cool thejew to get worked up....Whoa....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:17 am 

what

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
that_guy wrote:
Anyone heard about the new Splatterhouse? It looks fucking badass, probably gonna suck, though.

I have mixed opinions about it, the graphics look cool enough but the monsters look a little too generic and not scary enough, I mean the coolest thing about the old games was the truly repulsive enemy designs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:47 pm 

Oh and I'm glad more people are jumping on the "Curiosity is a goddamn moron" bandwagon.

Seriously, saying the Mario universe isn't imaginative is taking anti fanboism to the great extreme. Sure the plots themselves are standard, but Mario games don't take them too seriously either, the RPGs even poke fun of how Peach always gets kidnapped and how Bowser keeps trying despite the same plan over and over. I find that's one of the most appealing things about a lot of Japanese games for me, they have a lot of self aware humor.

Halo desperately wants to be taken seriously, even though it's about people in paintball outfits fighting aliens with giant super soakers, riding around in giant RC cars.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:58 pm 

Comparing apples and internal combustion engines is not the best way of making the case that Japanese games are more imaginative than their Western counterparts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

I dont know if japanese gaming is more imaginative, but it surely is more influential to the types of character designs that are still dominating the gaming market. The only real sort of characters that are still around from a western outlook on gaming, dont come from video games, but more the gygax formula of rpgs.

Boo boo and FS, have either of you played Ico and/or Shadow of Colousses? Just from the trailer, the last guardian looks like ill probably cry sometime during the game; i just know it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am 

Yeah, I find that Japanese RPGs for example have more inspired worlds and creatures and such while western ones pretty much just take everything from D&D, not to mention they actually go through the effort of adding a story and character development to make the gameplay a more immersive experience.

And shoot em ups are something i greatly prefer to FPS games, especially because of how outlandish and imaginative they could be, especially the ones made by Compile, Konami, Treasure and such.

Of the first person shooters out there I do prefer the older ones like Doom, Goldeneye, Duke Nukem and such, because they were more simple and had great single player, none of this online stuff.

Not to mention Japanese developers take a whack at just about every genre there is (save oddly enough first person shooters), while there are many genres western developers don't bother with whatsoever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next