It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Critique the last game you played:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 am 

Super Mario Galaxy 2:

Pros:
+The biggest pro in my book is that Yoshi is back and in full capacity! Not only does he spit out foreign objects like bullet bills, hammers and boomerangs, the berries add a completely new dimension to playing him!

+Challenge. Challenge is weird for me because I play games to escape and live vicariously though the character, so something that beats me down isn't exactly my thing. But from an objective point of view finding that perfect blend between challenge and fun is the true key to making a great game. Objectively, the best thing this game has over its predecessor is how fucking hard it is. Especially when the Green Stars (and of course the Grandmaster Galaxy) comes into play. This is probably the most challenging platformer Nintendo has put out since Yoshi's Island.

+Much more to do. The previous game had 120 stars. This one has 242.

+The boss music is pretty fun.

+The new suits are actually pretty smart and not just any type of projectile weapon you could throw at enemies. Especially the cloud suit. That was a damn smart way to reinvent platforming.

Cons:
-As with most Mario games, the story might as well not exist.

-The galaxies are really bland, especially when compared to the first game. It's almost as if they threw in Whomp's Fortress because they realized a lot of these levels sucked.

-The Bowser fights in this are really lame.

-9999 star bits to get to the Grandmaster Galaxy? Jesus.

-Ultimately, it just didn't have the magic of the first SMG, on top of it being exactly the same as that one. The reason Nintendo got away with Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES is because while it was the same gameplay, a lot of things were different. The art style was improved, we had a map system, more suits, flying, mini games. It truly was a different game than SMB1 despite having the same style as SMB1.

Last edited by JRA on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Critique the last game you played:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:07 pm 

Limbo

Basically a fantastic 2D puzzle game with an eerie yet captivating atmosphere. The puzzles were challenging enough to keep me interested, but not quite hard enough to frustrate me. Finishing the puzzles were more about timing and execution than they were about solving. I only got stuck on one puzzle in the second half of the game. I preferred the atmosphere of the game's first half; it had better pacing and I actually felt in danger for most of it. I enjoyed this so much I will probably be playing Swapper next which looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:50 pm 

World of Warcraft

I think I just play this game now because I'm addicted, not because I enjoy it anymore. It's a MMORPG and is pretty much considered the gold standard of all MMORPGs. You can pick from two different factions, each having 5 different races to choose from (or you can choose Pandaren and later choose which faction you want to be a part of), and 11 different classes that may or may not be available to the race you just picked, so it'd be important to pick which class you want first, then pick from that pool which race you want because race barely matters gameplay-wise. The only difference is where you start and minor racial abilities that barely play any significance in the long run, so the race choices are just there for cosmetic purposes only.

The classes are fairly varied. Some are more up close combat, some are long range attackers, others can flip flop back and forth, some use pets, some can heal, some can tank, so on.

So what's the goal of the game? Well, really you can pick your goal. For most the goal at first is to get to the max level. You can do this a number of ways: Questing, dungeons, grinding, hell some people managed to level without even killing anything. Of course it doesn't really matter since grinding is pretty much the summary of what you'll be doing regardless of which route you take. You can spend all your time killing things, or you can get quests that instruct you to kill things, or you can head to dungeons full of things to kill, but in the end you'll be killing things. There's barely any challenge to it, and it's repetitive as hell.

So why play it? Well the world is pretty dang awesome. I don't think I've ever encountered a game whose map I like more. There's so much variety in styles between landscapes, whether it be snowy terrain, forest, swamps, jungle, desert, canyon, and that's just the first 60 levels in Azeroth. Then you venture to the Outlands, which ranges between giant mushroom world to hellish dark landscape, to floating islands in a perpetual storm. Then on to Northrend, a huge snowy kingdom (while that may not sound as impressive, trust me it's wonderfully designed and has some of the best music in all of WOW). Then 5 different zones opened up in Cataclysm, such as an underwater kingdom, a giant Indiana Jones inspired world, an otherworldly dimension that formed in a giant vortex in the middle of the ocean, and of course the Twilight Highlands. I could gush about the world all day.

But it's not just the fact that these worlds exist, it's that it takes so frickin long to get to them. The fastest anyone has ever gotten to level 90 right now (at least that I could find) is 2 days. That's not real time, that's playing time. They had to spend more than 48 hours sitting in front of their computer mindlessly grinding on enemies and turning in quests. And that's if you know what you're doing!

There are alternatives to that though. You can also opt to NOT level your character at all, but instead run to the nearest capital city and start making your fortune in the auction house. The auction house system is actually fairly fun to play and can teach your kids basic economic principals if they learn to do it right. Higher level characters to can also run out to the world and gather valuable minerals and herbs and other stuff to sell, but the fastest way to do so is to buy those things at the auction house anyway and sell it right back for a higher amount. And it's so satisfying to run to your mailbox and spend time collecting all the won auctions and watch the money roll in. You might be missing out on the fantastic world around you, but hey you have money. Who's going to argue with you?

Overall, I'm sure there are better RPGs out there, but don't blame me for being addicted. Now excuse me I need to go grind some more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 pm 

JRA wrote:
Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's been many years since I've been a true gamer, but I was lucky enough to have picked up the first SMG when it came out. And all I can say is... what an utter masterpiece Nintendo crafted with that one. The game design is gorgeous -- I mean, it's really stunning. I don't know if it's just me, but I'd be totally immersed in the worlds when playing; I'd almost want to take a vacation to some of them, they're so inviting. So naturally, I'm interested in checking out the sequel, so thanks for that rundown of pros and cons. I'll get to playing it one of these days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm 

Zach wrote:
JRA wrote:
Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's been many years since I've been a true gamer, but I was lucky enough to have picked up the first SMG when it came out. And all I can say is... what an utter masterpiece Nintendo crafted with that one. The game design is gorgeous -- I mean, it's really stunning. I don't know if it's just me, but I'd be totally immersed in the worlds when playing; I'd almost want to take a vacation to some of them, they're so inviting. So naturally, I'm interested in checking out the sequel, so thanks for that rundown of pros and cons. I'll get to playing it one of these days.

Like I said, the worlds were better in SMG1.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:59 am 

Legend of Zelda NES

Pros:

-projectile swords at full health.

-the bosses.

-The magic wand and the red candle. I miss those things in Zelda.

-The alpha key.

-This is the only Zelda game, save for maybe Twilight Princess where it feels like money matters. Money might was well not even exist in Ocarina of Time. Its a satisfying feeling when you finally have enough rupees to get the blue ring or the shield.

-The second quest, while still annoying, wasn't as nearly of a pain in the ass as I remembered it being.

Cons:

-Invisibile doors. (and no indication of how to find them)

-Arrows costing rupees.

-Like Likes

-As iconic as the music is, it gets pretty monotonous. Especially the dungeon theme.

-This game embodies the "Guide-dang it" problem. At least in the first Final Fantasy you had people to talk to in order to give you some semblance of where to go. This game just dumps you in the middle and almost expects you to use a guide.

-Red & Blue bubbles. Fuck those things so hard.

-Leave your money or your life.

Overall this is a fun game to come back to every now and then, especially since its the beginning of a legacy. However the way a legacy is supposed to work is the next installment should make substantial improvements and be overall better. And just about every Zelda game that came after this one is better. However, a consequence of that is it makes the original game not age very well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:21 pm 

JRA wrote:
-The galaxies are really bland, especially when compared to the first game. It's almost as if they threw in Whomp's Fortress because they realized a lot of these levels sucked.

Bullshit, the level design is way more creative than the first game, a lot of the first game's wow factor came from the epic scale of it, the second one toned that down with smaller and more linear levels but made up for it by being a lot more creative and whimsical, literally every level is different and has it's own unique gameplay elements, SMG2 has the most creative level design in a Mario game since SMB3. I don't know what you've been smoking.

Quote:
-Ultimately, it just didn't have the magic of the first SMG, on top of it being exactly the same as that one. The reason Nintendo got away with Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES is because while it was the same gameplay, a lot of things were different. The art style was improved, we had a map system, more suits, flying, mini games. It truly was a different game than SMB1 despite having the same style as SMB1.

Uh, what? SMG2 added all those things. There's quite a lot of changes from the first game, the level design is more linear hence the addition of check points, 2D sidescrolling elements are integrated frequently compared to the first game where it made an appearance once or twice, Yoshi adds all kinds of new challenges and gameplay elements with level design that made use of them. The gameplay in SMG2 is way more diverse than the first one, I wouldn't say it's as big of a leap foward as SMB3 was but you're sure as fuck underplaying the everloving fuck out of the obvious changes.

Last edited by boo boo on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 pm 

JRA wrote:
-As iconic as the music is, it gets pretty monotonous.

What do you expect from a 1987 NES game? Supper's Ready?

Quote:
Overall this is a fun game to come back to every now and then, especially since its the beginning of a legacy. However the way a legacy is supposed to work is the next installment should make substantial improvements and be overall better. And just about every Zelda game that came after this one is better. However, a consequence of that is it makes the original game not age very well.

Well gee, games that are almost 30 years old don't measure up to modern games, holy shit what a disappointment, it's almost as if developers had to work within limits or something, just like any artist has to do with the technology of the moment. You sound like every hack video game critic ever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:24 pm 

Anyone that isn't a pissdrinking dipshit want to bring up some issues they have with my critique of Zelda?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 pm 

Who you calling a dipshit?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:00 pm 

Edit: Fuck it.

1987 NES game music. Super Mario Bros. music isn't monotonous. Neither is the music from the first Mega Man game. I don't know if there was much of a difference in NES sound capability between 1989 and 1987 sound quality but I consider Mega Man 2 to be the greatest game soundtrack ever.

I said while the first Zelda game was good, just about every game that came after it was better. I still said it was a good game. And its probably a better compliment to Miyamoto that he got better with the series as time went on as opposed to one excellent game at the beginning and never managing to top it.

FYI: My favorite Zelda game is Link To The Past, which is over 20 years old.]

You are still a dipshit. Get the fuck out of my thread.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 pm 

Resident Evil 4:

Pros: EVERYTHING except

Cons: Leon's stupid John Cena-esque lines. And turning down Ashley Graham's sex request at the end. GOD that was lame.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:10 pm 

Super Metroid:

Pros: Corrections of every flaw in the original Metroid. Farming isn't a pain in the ass, a map (don't give me that crap, it helps), starting the game with whatever health you had rather than being fucked with 30 health and forced to farm. Better jumping mechanics, i.e. the space jump. A much creepier atmosphere, though that mainly has to do with the sound pallet.

-The Super Missiles. Praise be the Super Missiles. They never should have ever left.

-Killing that one boss via grappling hook electric shock attachment.

-While everyone praises this as a speed-run game (as they should), the games best purpose is exploration and collecting. I have more fun running around trying to collect every item rather than beat the clock.

-Ridley's hideout is the most hype music ever!

Cons (or rather nitpicks):

-Would have been nice to have the Powerbombs be more effective against bosses.

-Despite my praise for it, I'd have preferred if the hideout music changed after you killed Ridley.

-Samus has Chun-Li thighs and its kinda creepy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:11 pm 

Little Inferno might be my favorite game ever?