PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:02 am 

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Hill: Origins
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

2 was the best in the series, though the first game remains the most atmospheric. I also thought Homecoming was very, very underrated - most likely due to the widespread bias against western developers among the more Japanese gaming-oriented SH fanbase.

Post subject: Re: Silent Hill
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:37 pm 

Despite generally being anti-console game biased, I love first two SH games.

Last edited by Woodgod on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:04 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
2 was the best in the series

Truth. I haven't played any Silent Hills after Silent Hill 3, but I've heard that I'm not missing out on much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:36 pm 

Yeah I only played Silent Hill 1 and 2 and a bit of 3 but my brothers took over that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 pm 

I've played all the first four Silent Hill games, and haven't beaten 3 because it's dang hard. Haven't played homecoming, but from what I've heard, they made it into a beat-em-up, something a Silent Hill game should not be.

Props on bolding Shattered Memories. It had it's share of problems from me, but it shines the way foreward to a bright future of what Silent Hill can become

Anyone seen the trailer for Silent Hill 8 yet? Can't say for sure how good it's going to be, but the developers say that they want to take Silent Hill back to it's roots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm 

Chaplin wrote:
Anyone seen the trailer for Silent Hill 8 yet? Can't say for sure how good it's going to be, but the developers say that they want to take Silent Hill back to it's roots.

The new trailer looks like they took the game back to its roots, which is more than ok with me. I’ve played the first four games in the series and enjoyed most of the except the room, which I did not end up finishing. Should I check out shattered memories?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:56 pm 

Giallorosso wrote:
Chaplin wrote:

The new trailer looks like they took the game back to its roots, which is more than ok with me. I’ve played the first four games in the series and enjoyed most of the except the room, which I did not end up finishing. Should I check out shattered memories?

Well, like I said, I had my problems with it here and there, but overall I thought it was awesome. I'd definitly say check it out if for no other reason than the awesome mechanic of manipulating the story and setting based on your decisions. I found it seriously fun to play through mulitple times and try and find every single item that differed from my last playthrough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm 

This is a fantastic easter egg. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 pm 

hideo kojima has officially signed up to do the next silent hill game.

get akira yamaoka back on board and this could be the shot in the arm the series really needs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:33 am 

I played all 8 of the major games now. I don't have a psp so not book of memories but here's how I rate them:

Silent Hill - 10
Silent Hill 2 - 10
Silent Hill 3 - 9
Silent Hill 4: The Room - 10

Silent Hill: Homecoming - 5
Silent Hill: Origins - 6
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8
Silent Hill: Downpour - 9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
I played all 8 of the major games now. I don't have a psp so not book of memories but here's how I rate them:

Silent Hill - 10
Silent Hill 2 - 10
Silent Hill 3 - 9
Silent Hill 4: The Room - 10

Silent Hill: Homecoming - 5
Silent Hill: Origins - 6
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8
Silent Hill: Downpour - 9

About SH4 and Downpour, really? I haven't played them but I've heard that both of those games were pretty bad from many sources

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:58 pm 

On every Silent Hill or horror forum I see it becomes quite clear when they get questioned about the gamea that a good deal of the people who slag off the post-SH3 games have clearly not even played them. There is some bizarre "Because they aren't made in Japan anymore, they must suck" backlash going on from people who clearly haven't even played those games. Or that they are trying to create this mythology about Team Silent, which has never existed. At no point during the making of the early SH games did they call themselves Team Silent and several members of the creative team changed from game to game, the idea that there was one complete team who made all these masterpieces and then they all left and the series went to shit is a complete fabrication by some fans.

4 received average reviews on release but is a cult classic nowadays and a lot of SH fans' favourite. It also has the modt interesting story and concept in the series' history.

Downpour received mixed reviews, but the negative reviews seemed to moan about the game featuring "dated" things like infrequent save point and fixed camera angles - 2 things SH fans have been calling for for years. And in some cases, such as IGN's atrocious review it became clear they hadn't even bothered with it, seeing as they criticised it for not being able to aim properly when LT/L2 brings your sim to the nearest enemy. :/

It seemed like on the horror forum, most people who actually played the game really like Downpour.

There's so much posturing going on with new Silent Hill games and honestly, if you go to any horror gaming forum or SH forum you'll see that a lot of people who play those games really enjoy them. I'd give the games a go yourself with an open mind rather than just assuming they suck because someone keeps moaning about the myth of Team Silent.

That said, I did think Origins and Homecoming were pretty average games but the last couple have both been excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:45 pm 

I remember not liking 4 that much. That was years ago though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:15 pm 

Honestly, SH4 is my second favorite in the franchise (before SH2 of course). it was the first SH game I actually played, and I just found the whole concept so interesting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 am 

Yep. SH4 is my 2nd favourite after SH2 as well.

Not only does it have a really cool idea with a beautiful story but its one of the hardest SH games and the most satisfying to beat.

It also has the best room in the entire franchise, the room which when I first went in made me triple-take (you know the one I mean :p).