DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:14 pm 

Yeah, his console and add on reviews are generally great too, though I had issues with the Sega CD one because he didn't really point out that there were a decent amount of well recieved games on the system meaning he shouldn't have written it off completely.

My least favorite review of his would be MC Kids, if only because I actually like that game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:21 pm 

Yeah. I vaguely recall him saying the following about Sol-Feace, one of my favourite Sega games back in the day, in his Mega CD review: "Sol-feace? More like Sol Shit! Actually this game's pretty good." Really, James?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:27 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Was it James or one of the others who did the Ninja Turtles and Castlevania 2 reviews? I'm pretty sure it was him, but either way I really liked those ones. I played those all the time when I was in elementary school and never picked up how bizarely hard (re:impossible) they were.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:34 pm 

It was soul feces actually.

Overall I disagree with him pretty rarely. I don't really think Simon's Quest was that bad, it's very flawed but it still had some great things about it (especially the music). I thought TMNT on the NES was an average game, it had some pretty fucked up design choices (like some nearly impossible jumps and that fucking seaweed stage), but I wouldn't say it was terrible. And Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout wasn't really bad either, it's just a generic inoffensive platformer. I think he just wanted an excuse to beat up a guy in a Bugs Bunny costume.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:41 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Was it James or one of the others who did the Ninja Turtles and Castlevania 2 reviews? I'm pretty sure it was him, but either way I really liked those ones. I played those all the time when I was in elementary school and never picked up how bizarely hard (re:impossible) they were.

The Irate Gamer has reviewed a lot of the same games that James has, and also some really good games like Super Mario Bros 2, Aladdin on the SNES and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. He tries so hard to be the AVGN and he just comes off being the total opposite, because James is funny and actually knows what the fuck he's talking about.

Seriously I dare you to actually watch one of that guy's videos in it's entirety. And the really sad part is that he probably is the most competent AVGN ripoff anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:48 pm 

boo boo wrote:
The Irate Gamer has reviewed a lot of the same games that James has, and also some really good games like Super Mario Bros 2

The first and last Irate Gamer review I ever watched. Utterly cringeworthy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:59 pm 

You know you can't review games for shit when you call a Mario game bad because it lacks realism.

Oh yeah, and Fester's Quest isn't bad either. Most of James' criticisms were legit (slow pace, ridiculous respawning) but I think it had some good things about it he didn't point out, like it's awesome soundtrack and a nice balance of exploration and strategy.

Last edited by boo boo on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:00 pm 

boo boo wrote:
And Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout wasn't really bad either, it's just a generic inoffensive platformer. I think he just wanted an excuse to beat up a guy in a Bugs Bunny costume.

But man was it glorious. MEEEEEEEEEEHHHH WHATS UP—*backfist*
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 pm 

Yeah it was still fun to watch.

"Who keeps piles of boxes lying around? Honestly" - Nostalgia Critic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm 

boo boo wrote:
And Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout wasn't really bad either, it's just a generic inoffensive platformer. I think he just wanted an excuse to beat up a guy in a Bugs Bunny costume.

You know, I hate it when he has one of his friends in costume for his reviews. It's usually not very funny, and it really detracts from the reviews. Actually, fuck that, the costumed portions are not only not funny--they're fucking obnoxious. I always find myself fast forwarding through them. The glitches episode in particular was unwatchable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:18 pm 

I don't really think they're that bad, though that Mike guy really hammed it up as The Joker (shame because the Batman videos were otherwise very good) and the Cowardly Lion. I like when the guitar guy gets involved though (like the Battletoads review).

I think the Bugs Bunny skits were done well enough, obviously no genius writing there, I get the feeling that James seems to just throw random shit into his videos to give his friends something to do but I actually find that to be part of their charm, even if it lacks of professionalism, but it's not like that is what he is striving for anyway. At least he doesn't do it every video, which The Irate Gamer does, and his character skits don't even make sense.

Also I actually thought the glitch episode was one of his better videos of recent. Those Rocky glitches were fucking hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:26 pm 

Everything about the episode was great, except the glitch character. Ugh. Now that I think about it though, the Battletoads ep was really good, and the Spiderman one was pretty damn good too. But usually the costumed skits are so obnoxious I have to skip past those bits. I actually can't stand the guitar guy, the intro song's melody is so weak and his voice is so bad it gives me a headache, not to mention how fucking long the song goes on for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:32 pm 

Yeah I sometimes skip the intro nowadays, but I dunno I still like the guy. And the song's shittyness actually fits with the crude humor of the show pretty well.

But I think James should stick to one of those cover versions that he's used before, I really liked that metal one. I think he just doesn't want to hurt the guitar guy's feelings.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:40 pm 

The metal one was good, but my favorite was the 8-bit one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:42 pm 

I usually don't mind the costumed guest appearances. I can understand skipping them to see more of the review, but I'm the kind of person who is inexperienced with the games that James plays, so basically I'm watching the videos to get some good laughs.

My favorite review of his is Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, mostly for how embarassing that game looked. I have that same soft spot for some of the Nostalgia Critic reviews when the movies are the same way. My other favorites are the Bible Game reviews.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next