DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Street Fighter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:29 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Quote:
And Nintendo Power might not be the best source when it comes to comparing Nintendo and Sega games objectively.

You'd be surprised. They actually recommended the PS2 version of Okami over the new Wii port.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:35 am 

I only have one complaint about Okami on the Wii.

The Wiimote works really well for the most part. Except for when I defeat a certain enemy and I have to check it's name off a list, and then the simple act of drawing a straight line is nearly fucking impossible.

Seriously I wasted like 15 minutes trying to do it the first time. :banghead:

Did the developers have to be so fucking anal? I drew a fucking line goddammit, who cares if it's not a thin line precisely straight through the middle?

Last edited by boo boo on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 am 
Master of the Universe 2008

boo boo wrote:
Regardless of which one is more acclaimed, Special Champion Edition is held in very high regard.

I've definitely heard more negative things said about Turbo. As far as the SNES Street Fighters go I definitely prefer Super, for several reasons, bigger cast, better AI, better graphics, less choppy framerate and a greatly improved soundtrack, and the latter is an important part of the SFII experience for me.

Also Game Informer are idiots, they don't even proof read their shit. And Nintendo Power might not be the best source when it comes to comparing Nintendo and Sega games objectively.

You cant just simply dismiss everything i say, and not have any backing at all. HEARD MORE NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT IT? FROM WHOM? YOUR GRANDMOTHER!? SERIOUSLY. where are these negative things being said? because up until two years ago it was still being played competitively at EVO - who are the most serious fighting fans and gamers in the world. If you have information then post it, if you dont then shut it. Really? game informer are idiots, classic example of a response that isnt worth shit. really? i didnt know that nintendo power might be subjective. Im listing the lists that it appears on for its critical acclaim. its also the most popular sf title. thats popularity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 am 

I'm not even knocking Turbo on the SNES ffs, it's a pretty fine port in my opinion. You're the one bitching about that_guy1 also giving credit to another version that is debatably better.

Of course the Super Nintendo version is more popular and more likely to make lists, it's on a more popular system. That doesn't make it a better game.

Maybe it has more acclaim than the Genesis game simply because it's more well known, that also means it has more backlash as well. Sure any popular game is gonna get backlash. But I've seen a lot of people bitch about Turbo being a broken port. I never said I agreed with them, and I don't.

Don't get butthurt over this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:50 am 

boo boo wrote:
I'm not even knocking Turbo on the SNES ffs, it's a pretty fine port in my opinion. You're the one bitching about that_guy1 also giving credit to another version that is debatably better.

Of course the Super Nintendo version is more popular and more likely to make lists, it's on a more popular system. That doesn't make it a better game.

Maybe it has more acclaim than the Genesis game simply because it's more well known, that also means it has more backlash as well. Sure any popular game is gonna get backlash. But I've seen a lot of people bitch about Turbo being a broken port. I never said I agreed with them, and I don't.

YES IT DOES MAKE IT A BETTER GAME, THE LISTS ARE SUBJECTIVE BASED ON QUALITY OF GAMES! you cant just say that because a system is more popular that that is the reason that they would select the game over its gameplay and playability; have you ever thought about that it works in the opposite way, that the reason that the system is more popular is because it go the better ports and has a better catalog of good games. Good. meaning subjectively better based on gameplay. If this is the case, then you could never view any part of acclaim because its just the bias of an industry that is there to help out more popular systems - which i dont subscribe to, but it seems that you do with those comments. More likely to make lists because its more popular? no. More likely to make lists because it was a better game that was fair and balance more so than the other fighters of the time, and more so than the genesis version? yes.

Post the backlash, then. This backlash that is almost nonexistent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 am 

You're being ridiculous right now.

I do think most of the video game press is very bias. You've been acting like I'm trying to take credit away from Turbo, which I'm not. I'm just saying there are people like me who think the Genesis game is superior and thus deserves it's due credit, that's all.

The Super Nintendo outsold Genesis for these reasons in my opinion.

-A lot of the Super Nintendo's biggest games were followups to the biggest selling franchises from the NES and thus had greater brand power, Sega had to invest their time in creating original titles that could compete with them.
-The Genesis had pretty good third party support but the SNES had more.
-It had superior graphics and sound not undone by an unreasonable price that killed consoles like the Neo Geo.
-Had a strong RPG library while the Genesis lacked in that department.
-In later years Sega began investing less attention in Genesis titles and more into marketing the Sega CD and 32x, and then the Saturn. This allowed the Super Nintendo to gain an advantage especially when highly anticipated games like Donkey Kong Country and Chrono Trigger were being released.

I do not think the SNES sold better because it had a better library. That's obviously subjective, and in my opinion they are tied, SNES fared better in some things and the Genesis fared better in others.

As far as arcade ports go? I actually think that's split, there were several arcade ports that were exclusive to the Genesis, several that were exclusive to the SNES. And multiplatform games may have fared better on the SNES most of the time but that wasn't ALWAYS the case. Sometimes crisper graphics would come at the cost of less polished gameplay, sometimes SNES versions had more slowdown or less frames of animation.

They're two of the greatest consoles ever made, and it's baffling that fanboys still have flame wars about them as if that console war is still going on. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 am 

Im not acting like you're trying to take anything away, this argument started before turbo had been orange; all im saying is that the snes version appears on the most lists and has the best acclaim of any sf game, and has sold the most units. You said that its acclaim is based on the system it was on, i disagree. I dont think it has received more acclaim just because it was on snes, but because it was a better game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 pm 

You guys, the argument is bullshit now, I took out the console ports, so now tiers are based on the incarnations, in which Super Turbo reigns supreme cause it's basically perfected Street Fighter 2, all 16 characters, tightest graphics and Turbo speed.

And besides, you're both wrong, the definitive home port of Street Fighter 2 Turbo was for the 3DO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 pm 

Yeah but we're talking about versions people will actually play. Nobody gives a fuck about the 3DO. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:39 am 

I enjoy the Street Fighter games. The only thing that irks me is the absolutely atrocious art. Characters like Cammy and Vega are some of the worst designs I've ever seen in a game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:47 am 

Jesus fucking Christ, can't you like.... stop being wrong for even a little while?

It needs more generic looking space marines I guess.

And fuck you and die, Cammy and Vega are fucking awesome and among the coolest characters in the series.

I personally love the colorful animal style visuals. Oh let me guess, it's anime style. No wonder it's so terrible in your opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:50 am 

Nope. Just needs a shred of creativity. Every character in SF is a Japanese animation cliche.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 am 

Yeah the characters in SF don't look distinctive at all, they're certainly not instantly recognisable. :roll:

They only seem generic because they were imitated by countless fucking fighting games. Street Fighter pretty much created all the archtypes of the genre.

Even if it has a pretty standard anime style, the characters are still awesome and unique looking, all the games look teriffic in addition to how they play. And Street Fighter promo art in general is pretty fucking awesome for the most part IMO.

It beats the hell out of every game now that has not only dull and grey graphics but the same generic fucking tough guy character with eyes like a fucking chameleon for some goddamn reason.

Seriously, the guy from Splinter Cell Conviction, Nathan Drake and a whole bunch of other western video game protagonists look exactly the fucking same. The Street Fighter characters are iconic, characters in the kinda games you're into are hardly even characters. Not any more so than a dot in an Atari game, but with even less personality.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:31 am 

Yeah basically every western game protagonist looks the same, I can agree with that. Basically every single one has the same f*cking attractive mid-30's white male with scruffy hair and stubble look. But every Japanese game character looks like f*cking David Bowie.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 am 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371406

Proof.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next