DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why video games can never succeed as art
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:00 pm 

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bepop
Inuyasha
Death Note
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hana Yori Dango (on my sisters request - enjoyed this one alot actually)
Trigun
Mobile Suit Gundam
Naruto
Bleach
Cardcaptor Sakura
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Code Geass
Samurai Champloo

Those are the ones that come to mind, but I've seen more. Alot of these are pretty good actually... just overrated as hell in general.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:06 pm 

Like I said, you know nothing outside of Shonen.

And most of those shows are awesome so fuck you, even the worst of those are at least decent.

Last edited by boo boo on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:07 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Well four of those are amongst the finest works of art I've seen, at least one is crap, and Geass, Champloo and Trigun are fantastic as well. I used to be a big Inuyasha fan, but its easy to see why people would dislike it (keep in mind, it is completely aware of how OTP it is, which is largely its charm). Gundam to me feels too dated, but its an important show...I've just never been huge on Gundam. I think those do tend to be alot of the stereotypes you threw out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 pm 

I take it Bleach is the one you're calling crap. :roll:

I could never get into Naruto, though I'm surprised by how well liked it is by people older than 12.

Inuyasha had some great moments and really creative monsters, but it sure was repetitive. And the show ended with one of the worst non-conclusions in anime history.

I could never understand what the fuck was going on in the Ghost in the Shell series but it's very well put together.

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Champloo, Death Note, NGE, Code Geass (season 1) and Full Metal Achelmist are all fantastic........

and so is Bleach when it's not sidetracked with filler, I don't care what anyone says.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:19 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Either Bleach or Naruto. Probably Naruto, Bleach is actually entertaining, especially during the first few arcs. Naruto is just horrible...though the manga is actually really good. Go figure.

Inuyasha actually had a final season last year to give follow the manga's ending, so it got its real conclusion.

I'm of the firm belief that NGE is one of the greatest works of arts of the past two decades. Bebop is below that, but by a considerable margin. Alchemist is my personal favorite though. :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:19 pm 

I'm just trollin' ya'll, I love most of those. :snacks:

The point still stands though. The cliches of anime do tend to bleed over into even the best anime shows. Too much comedy relief, too many goofy moments, too much unneccesary plot-related exposition that the viewer should be able to gather themselves, too much emphasis on tired character stereotypes (e.g. semi-autistic loner etc, ultra confident badboy with a cheeky smile, a trenchcoat and a pair of sunglasses etc), cop-out endings. The good moments make up for these, but still, it's annoying to see almost every anime fall victim at some point to the tired cliches of the genre.

Which reminds me, Final Fantasy: Unlimited = very underrated series imo. Granted it's been around 7-8 years since I watched it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:22 pm 

True, except for the very best (NGE, Bebop, FMA). Alot of that has come about in the last decade with the enormous surge in popularity worldwide and the increasingly raving idiocy of the otaku base.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:36 pm 

Went to a cosplay convention a few years ago when I was really into anime. Nevar again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 pm 

If I ever went to a cosplay event I'd likely get arrested for attempted rape.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:40 pm 

:siren:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:45 pm 

Sodacake wrote:

Yeah, all those Ed cosplayers...I mean Asuka
ASUKA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:22 pm 

Sodacake wrote:

Same.

I'm probs in the minority, but although the animation wasn't particuarly stunning, I really liked Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. Also moments of NANA. Kemonozume, Death Note, the second season of Code Geass, NGE, Champloo... there is enough anime out there to convince anyone that anime CAN not only be a fucking awesome medium for storytelling, but that it is superior in many respects to its western counterparts. I've seen a billionz anime, there is a ton of recycled bullocks for sure....as there is in every media created.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:14 pm 

Curiosity wrote:
I'm just trollin' ya'll, I love most of those. :snacks:

The point still stands though. The cliches of anime do tend to bleed over into even the best anime shows. Too much comedy relief, too many goofy moments, too much unneccesary plot-related exposition that the viewer should be able to gather themselves, too much emphasis on tired character stereotypes (e.g. semi-autistic loner etc, ultra confident badboy with a cheeky smile, a trenchcoat and a pair of sunglasses etc), cop-out endings. The good moments make up for these, but still, it's annoying to see almost every anime fall victim at some point to the tired cliches of the genre.

Which reminds me, Final Fantasy: Unlimited = very underrated series imo. Granted it's been around 7-8 years since I watched it.

1) Watch Monster
2) STFU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:13 am 

Well, it all depends on what you consider art. A lot of people seem to consider art as something that someone else does that they never could or thought to do before, like someone who thought The Sixth Sense was artistic genius cause they hadn't seen the episode "Tale of the Dream Girl" from Are You Afraid Of the Dark. So anything that makes them go "Oh! Cool" I, on the other hand, had watched Are You Afraid Of The Dark? every Saturday night (that's not including reruns) and even though I appreciated the craft and cleverness it took for the Nickelodeon writers to create that twist ending, it didn't change me or my perspective on my own existence (for all the people who have told me to kill myself and/or have threatened to kill me, I'm pretty sure I'm not a ghost). So I wasn't fooled by that or any other clever plot twist that came my way.

So basically there's three different perspectives on what makes art, and those are: craft (what I described above), emotional/intellectual response (what Ray Carney thinks, without all the double standards, hypocrisies, and exceptions to the rules), or a bunch of faggots dancing around in tights (my interpretation).

If you think its craft, then video games could be considered art, especially Contra III: The Alien Wars. If it's emotional/intellectual response (not including the synthetic kinds Carney always bitches about), then you're barking up the wrong tree, unless it's Contra III: The Alien Wars. If you fall into the third category, then it's definitely an art form, just ask this guy. If you think it's all three, then what the hell, Tide with bleach is art.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:18 am 

I am one of those people who choose to define art as anything having to do with craft, human creations that are meant to have aesthetic appeal in some way or another.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next