DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Footballers (Soccer Players) of All-Time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:20 pm 

I agree, I'm still not even sure Moore should be ahead of Sir Stan as far as English players go. Matthews impact and influence on the game was certainly far greater, even if he won bugger all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:23 pm 

Mark85 wrote:
and a World Cup success of his own with Italy

bah, he didn't play a minute.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:27 pm 

owned

But I still think Baresi > Moore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:28 pm 

Baresi's 94 tournament comes close though - was his knee knackered for that tournament too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:31 pm 

Georgi wrote:
Baresi's 94 tournament comes close though - was his knee knackered for that tournament too?

Romario said his marking in the final was the best he ever came up against or something.
Though the case for the prosecution is that he played the final, 1 full match against Ireland and 49 minutes against Norway. That was it. He was injured v Norway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:33 pm 

Fair enough. Baresi's club career is streets ahead of Moore's though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:35 pm 

Well that remark from Romario is worth storing away anyway. World Cup final, he has a blinder. Can't ask for more in a first game back from injury.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 pm 

re Moore, we really are at a disadvantage unless someone here has read well around the topic re 1960s English club football. For all I know Moore was having blinders week in week out for the Hammers. It's not really his fault the Hammers didn't win trophies beyond an FA Cup. A centre half can only do so much there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:40 pm 

That kind of applies to pretty much every player on here whose time was more than 20 years ago, though. It's a fair point for Moore though, especially considering the 60's was England's most competitive decade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:49 pm 

I've said it before, Baresi wins in terms of trophies, but I think Moore is quite simply the best defender I have ever seen. Baresi is the second best of course.
As for influence, in the UK Moore inspired just about every Central Defender that appeared for the next 20 years, even us Jock's loved him

"There should be a law against him. He knows what's happening 20 minutes before anyone else." said Jock Stein.

Baresi is of course the best defender since Moore and many will say he was better, maybe it's a generation thing but I can't remember seeing anybody who could tackle, lead and inspire his team and all with very few bookings the way Moore did.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:52 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
re Moore, we really are at a disadvantage unless someone here has read well around the topic re 1960s English club football. For all I know Moore was having blinders week in week out for the Hammers. It's not really his fault the Hammers didn't win trophies beyond an FA Cup. A centre half can only do so much there.

Cup-Winners Cup in 1965 with West Ham and 10 years later he inspired Fulham to the FA Cup Final. Maybe he never sought the glory of the big teams (like Le Tissier) or never wanted to leave London I dont know. I just know he was awesome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
Georgi wrote:

Romario said his marking in the final was the best he ever came up against or something.
Though the case for the prosecution is that he played the final, 1 full match against Ireland and 49 minutes against Norway. That was it. He was injured v Norway.

Maradona apparently said the same thing about Gentile in '82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:55 pm 

Didn't Gentile foul him like 20 times in one game? I don't know if it's quite as impressive as Baresi's number on Romario.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 pm 

Georgi wrote:
Didn't Gentile foul him like 20 times in one game? I don't know if it's quite as impressive as Baresi's number on Romario.

Yeah he did leave his mark on him. But if you actually see the whole match Gentile was brilliant that day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 pm 

sirjock wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:

Cup-Winners Cup in 1965 with West Ham and 10 years later he inspired Fulham to the FA Cup Final. Maybe he never sought the glory of the big teams (like Le Tissier) or never wanted to leave London I dont know. I just know he was awesome

Didn't know about the Cup Winners' Cup. Thanks, sirjock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next