It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Sports Thread - Skiing/Sledging/Skeleton etc.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:45 pm 

Discuss winter sports here.

Post subject: Re: Winter Sports Thread - Skiing/Sledging/Skeleton etc.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm 

New season ahead, hoping to see something similar to this from the Norwegians:

Guess it could be considered arrogant, but really, when you're the that good, you're allowed to flaunt it. And from the women, something like this wouldn't hurt:

(One of the finest sports events in recent years, methinks)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:08 pm 

i have nothing of substance to post, except my hometown in hosting the Winter Olympics in 2014

though, my dad, who is personally involved in construction, is rather pessimistic about the whole thing... (not surprising, it's Russia, after all)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:11 pm 

I always grew up thinking money wasn't important, but now I'm beginning to realize that you can't go snowboarding all the time without it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 am 

Season passes are your friend batman.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:23 pm 

even those are spendy. The unlimited day-pass at the mountain I go to is close to $400. Only $130 for unlimited night skiing though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:07 am 

I love winter sports. Was an avid downhill skier from age 6 to 10 (might not sound like a whole lot, but the odd time I do try out skiing now adays, I still handle myself well enough to be able to jump on small/medium sized jumps) and snowboarder from then on out, though I've been slacking way too much off the last seasons. When it comes to cross country skiing I should be even more ashamed, seeing as I haven't done it in like.. six years, but I do enjoy it at a recreational level.

All in all, I like that we're so formidable in a wide array of winter sports, but I don't enjoy the attitude of a lot of our competitors. The clip you showed, Yngtchie, isn't even the worst Northug has. Flaunting is one thing, but when you deliberately humiliate your opponents, I don't like it. Giving the impression that you respect your opponents doesn't hurt either. But it's not only Northug, really, cause Emil Hegle Svendsen smack talks a lot in the media and even snowboarder Torstein Horgmo, whom I think is awesome in so many ways, has a sort of arrogant feel to him. People from Trondheim seem to excell in doing good and being arrogant.

Anyways, I see batman is interested in snowboarding at least. What kind of tricks can you guys pull off? I mentioned I'd been slacking the last 5++ years, but even so, I actually managed to land my first 720 two seasons ago. I like jumping and whatnot, but some of the kickers they build nowadays just scare the living shit out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:46 am 

Yeah, I kinda agree about Northug and some of the other guys skiing today. I don't think we ever got any of that from Dæhlie or Bjørndalen.

Ahhh, memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drl24gKWvxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ppg815nARM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm 

Good stuff. Dæhli is perhaps the best example of a humble, badass athlete. Another guy I have great respect for is Kjetil Andre Aamodt. He's insanely good, humble and laid back! Also, I saw "Hvem kan slå Aamodt og Kjus" in studio this summer, and he gave Arild "Hulk" Haugen a run for his money in an excercise that was very strength reliant. One of the most impressive things I've seen in real life. Aksel Lund Svindal is perhaps the current Norwegian top winter sports athlete I like the most, keeping true to the image that Aamodt, Kjus and others have set before him. And also being good, though not perhaps at the same level as his elders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 am 

Tour de Ski today! This is gonna be a hoot and a holler. :dance: