It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: NFL Fantasy Football - DDD Style
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:47 pm 

Tentative Draft Day: Tuesday, September 2nd

So football time is here again, and for some reason I can't make a new thread in the Sports section. Probably get more traffic in general anyway. Just wondering if anybody would want to do a fantasy league? We did one last year, had 8 times. Eric J won I do believe! Anyways, if you are interested in being in an NFL fantasy football league, let me know so I can get a good grip on how many people wanna be in!

If you've never done it before, it's pretty easy. I ran the league last year and did alright for myself. Had to have Corrections help me on a few things, but shit is so easy to figure out.

Members:
1. Joe C
2. Zephead
3. Eric J
4. Led
5. Hang (?)
6. Raultheforgotten
7. jiraffejustin
8. Bones
9. Jumpman
10. Corrections
11. John17
12. Chicken Sandwich

Last edited by joe c on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: That NFL Fantasy Football
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:03 pm 

joe c wrote:
So football time is here again

What? No it's not.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:32 pm 

ha i know im ready for football. i'll be dow to do it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm 

Bump

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:26 pm 

Didn't see this the first time. Definitely /in. I believe I did win last year even though Crx had a lot of luck go his way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 pm 

I didn't know we had a league last year. I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 pm 

How does NFL fantasy work and can someone who doesn't know much about the game get involved easily enough?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 pm 

You have an even number of teams in a league, playing weekly head to head matches against the other players. Your team scores points based off of how your players perform. For example, in a relatively standard scoring league, a running back is awarded one point for every ten yards he rushes, and six points for every touchdown he scores. If your team as a whole accumulates more points than your opponent during that week's games, then you win the matchup.

Your team is selected via a draft at the start of the season, which is where the majority of the strategy lies. Supply, demand, and value. Certain positions have lots of depth (wide receiver), others very little (tight end). Who you pick and when you pick them will largely determine how well you perform.

There are lots of resources out there for the uninitiated that can close knowledge gaps. If you were to go in completely blind, you'd still do okay. Yahoo and ESPN do lots of mock drafts amongst their "experts" so you can see where players are being drafted. Even ignoring that, when drafting, the draft system ranks the remaining players in order of how well they are projected to perform.

I'd be glad to help you out if you'd like to start playing, Dom.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:21 pm 

Yeah, I think the only thing that I wasn't sure about it that in the league, can there be the same players in different teams? I'm only used to soccer fantasy where you just pick a team with your budget and you can pick whoever you want. I'd like to join, yeah. I may lose interest after a week but I imagine I'll be more into fantasy than the actual NFL and hopefully it translates into some knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:47 pm 

Only one team can draft a given player.

I care more about fantasy football than any real team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 pm 

we could get that weekly picks thing going again too. i liked that and we can start at the beginning of the season now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:59 am 

Hang, I played Fantasy Football for the first time last year. In fact, I was the commissioner. If I remember correctly, I barely missed the playoffs. If I can do it, you can do it.

EDIT - Mods, can we have this thread as an announcement for awhile so more people might join?

Post subject: Re: NFL Fantasy Football - DDD Style
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 am 

It would be sick if we could get at least 10 guys. I'm in

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 am 

ya id say 10 or bust. its no fun with 8. and i also suggest espn over yahoo or any other fantasy football provider. i find it a lot cleaner and easier to do. the hardest thing here is gonna be finding the time that everyone can do it. drafts are obviously a lot better when everyone is in attendance. its a little easier when its people you actually hang out with and shit but even then its hard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:18 pm 

eh I did both last year and Yahoo was way better. ESPN is still stuck with that bullshit where they penalize your D/ST if the opposing team's defense scores off a turnover.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next