DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 91  Next
 Post subject: Re: College Football.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm 

corrections wrote:
IamtheLaw382 wrote:
I understand that in doling out punishments sometimes innocent people are going to be affected. I'd prefer it, however, if casualties were kept to a minimum. In this situation, the people who are truly guilty are going to jail. That's enough for me. No need to hammer a bunch of people who weren't involved. (And the "innocents" aren't just the football players, it's the faculty, fans, students, and businesses that are going to be affected by this, which is something I see forgotten an awful lot).

I guess the fans played a part in "creating the culture" but ESPN and the NCAA did as much or more than the fans did. I also expect this culture exists at a lot more places than PSU and if these measures somehow prevent such a situation from occurring again then at least they did something. I doubt, however, that this is going to be as effective as is hoped.

It really bothers me how much the NCAA rushed this whole thing and how they ignored their entire method of handling sanctions. Lack of institutional control has been charged a lot of times in the past and not once has that charge (on its own) come close to dishing out penalties like this. The whole procedure struck me as fairly arbitrary. I understand that "unprecedented" actions require "unprecedented" measures but I think a lot more thought should have been put into said measures than there was.

The fans and alumni especially are major parts in creating this environment. The players are the hardest collateral damage and they have the opportunity at least to transfer anywhere.

And no ESPN and the NCAA are not the ones who created the culture. And as for the old snail way of handling sanctions? This was an extraordinary situation that didn't need a couple year delivery process or an independent NCAA investigation. Penn St. agreed to supply the report to the NCAA and submit to its judgment. Given that what need was there for the normal process (which the NCAA has been violently criticized for making it too slow in the past).

How is big tv money not a part of the culture? I completely agree that the NCAA takes too long but there is a happy medium in between several years and ten days. Ten days isn't a whole lot of time to make what is at a bare minimum a $60M decision that will hold back a program for years. I'd have felt a lot better about the decision had executive power not been given to the president and then have him do whatever the hell he feels like with no chance for an appeal (if my understanding of how this played is incorrect, I apologize). I can't quite wrap my head around PSU's simply deciding to agree to all of this, honestly. I guess they were just trying to be contrite.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm 

IamtheLaw382 wrote:
corrections wrote:
IamtheLaw382 wrote:
I understand that in doling out punishments sometimes innocent people are going to be affected. I'd prefer it, however, if casualties were kept to a minimum. In this situation, the people who are truly guilty are going to jail. That's enough for me. No need to hammer a bunch of people who weren't involved. (And the "innocents" aren't just the football players, it's the faculty, fans, students, and businesses that are going to be affected by this, which is something I see forgotten an awful lot).

I guess the fans played a part in "creating the culture" but ESPN and the NCAA did as much or more than the fans did. I also expect this culture exists at a lot more places than PSU and if these measures somehow prevent such a situation from occurring again then at least they did something. I doubt, however, that this is going to be as effective as is hoped.

It really bothers me how much the NCAA rushed this whole thing and how they ignored their entire method of handling sanctions. Lack of institutional control has been charged a lot of times in the past and not once has that charge (on its own) come close to dishing out penalties like this. The whole procedure struck me as fairly arbitrary. I understand that "unprecedented" actions require "unprecedented" measures but I think a lot more thought should have been put into said measures than there was.

The fans and alumni especially are major parts in creating this environment. The players are the hardest collateral damage and they have the opportunity at least to transfer anywhere.

And no ESPN and the NCAA are not the ones who created the culture. And as for the old snail way of handling sanctions? This was an extraordinary situation that didn't need a couple year delivery process or an independent NCAA investigation. Penn St. agreed to supply the report to the NCAA and submit to its judgment. Given that what need was there for the normal process (which the NCAA has been violently criticized for making it too slow in the past).

How is big tv money not a part of the culture? I completely agree that the NCAA takes too long but there is a happy medium in between several years and ten days. Ten days isn't a whole lot of time to make what is at a bare minimum a $60M decision that will hold back a program for years. I'd have felt a lot better about the decision had executive power not been given to the president and then have him do whatever the hell he feels like with no chance for an appeal (if my understanding of how this played is incorrect, I apologize). I can't quite wrap my head around PSU's simply deciding to agree to all of this, honestly. I guess they were just trying to be contrite.

Why does big TV money exist in the first place? PSU is definitely trying to show contrition because that 60 million is nothing compared to the civil judgment avalance that's about to come. And they were very happy not to get the full on death penalty so they won't be appealing the penalty either. Trust me this option is one that they will take.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 am 

barely three weeks away. getting restless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 pm 

I can't fucking wait for college football. Best days of the whole year are when the smell of falling leaves fills the air on a cool Saturday. Go green!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm 

I think we're picked to finish 4th in the East this year :lol: I'm a lil more optimistic (surprise), but we'll see. Can't wait for Bama to come to Columbia, the atmosphere is going to be amazing. At least for the first quarter. Maybe I'll see Saban's krzy daughter there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm 

SanTropez wrote:
I can't fucking wait for college football. Best days of the whole year are when the smell of falling leaves fills the air on a cool Saturday. Go green!

hah that's exactly how i think of college football saturdays. though it's nicer when i have a yard to play catch in. now i have first avenue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm 

everyone picking texas to be a surprise team so now they can't be a surprise team and will just be a disappointing team of they perform as originally expected. but they'll be pretty good this year. how the team is built now reminds me a lot of 2009 bama.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am 

hurry the fuck up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am 

Paulie wrote:
I think we're picked to finish 4th in the East this year :lol: I'm a lil more optimistic (surprise), but we'll see. Can't wait for Bama to come to Columbia, the atmosphere is going to be amazing. At least for the first quarter. Maybe I'll see Saban's krzy daughter there.

Your season is going to plummet downhill after you lose 879-2 against the mighty Southeastern Louisiana Lions, alma mater of such famous names as Bill Evans, Robin Roberts, and me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm 

Michigan State 24
Boise State 13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:20 pm 

SanTropez wrote:
Michigan State 24
Boise State 13

I've got all the B1G teams winning except Michigan.

Bama repeats this year. Oregon wins the Pac-12, Texas the Big 12, Bama the SEC, Virginia Tech the ACC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 am 

Lulz Vandy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 am 

lonewolf371 wrote:
Lulz Vandy.

We got fucked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:41 pm 

lonewolf371 wrote:
I've got all the B1G teams winning except Michigan.
Yah, I'd say that's reasonable.

I watched a few minutes of Minnesota/UNLV last night, and I was pretty impressed by Minnesota's QB. Great runner.

And I'm saying this honestly, regardless of being a State fan, but I think Michigan gets blown out by Alabama.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 pm 

corrections wrote:
lonewolf371 wrote:
Lulz Vandy.

We got fucked.

Yeah, bogus no call.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 91  Next