DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martial Arts.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm 

BlueTrain wrote:
paul harris
ha...
yeah usually when guys miss weight it spells doom... (with rare exceptions, like hallman last month)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 am 

Man what a crazy night, one of the most entertaining ufc events ive seen. I gotta say though was mirgliotta reffing a k1 fight or a mixed martial art fight? its like he got so nervous with the crowd booing that he just stood them up every five seconds, absolutely terrible. Also have to add that rumble looked horrible in the standup, usually he is quite technical in the standup but he just recklessly threw himself at vitor. What a weird fight, very exciting though. Insane ko by barbosa, one of the most devastating ive ever seen in the ufc anyway. Great submission by palhares, massenzio is a bjj black belt and by no means a scrub on the ground and palhares just made him look like a white belt. This might be premature but palhares has a shot at becoming a number one contender, i definitely think he could beat sonnen. The aldo ko was wicked, the dude has sick takedown defence too, mendes has strolled through all of his previous opponents and was never in that fight at all. The erick silva dq was total bs too, silva is a big prospect at welterweight but he needs to fight some better competition.

Edit: Anthony Johnson just got cut from the ufc for not making weight for the 3rd time. A huge shame, because he is a seriously talented fighter. I thought he had the potential to beat gsp at welterweight but his absurd weight cutting practices got in the way. http://www.fightcove.com/ufc-142-result ... m-the-ufc/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:41 am 

Barboza KO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:20 pm 

BlueTrain wrote:
I gotta say though was mirgliotta reffing a k1 fight or a mixed martial art fight? its like he got so nervous with the crowd booing that he just stood them up every five seconds, absolutely terrible.
definitely an instance of "home advantage" in belfort's favor... and i think johnson wasn't mentally focused because of all the mess he was in with missing the weight and maybe he knew he was going to get cut... a shame, what a talent... i hope he gets a second chance with ufc in the near future. or maybe strikeforce could add him to liven up one of their crappy divisions.

yeah i could see palhares possibly handling sonnen... not sure he'd have a better chance against anderson, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:33 pm 

Palhares is kinda nuts, like I wouldn't wanna run into him IRL, even less so than your typical MMA fighter. He seems to be a genuinely passionate person though and I can't help but like him. Him v. Sonnen would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:31 am 

Just came across Mike Zambidis.

Holy crap this dude is a beast.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:57 pm 

I've just started kick boxing a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed my first couple of lessons. Does anyone have any tips with regards to someone just starting out? The stance I think is key, any tips on that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 pm 

isn't your instructor supposed to provide you with tips for that? :lol:

i have some kickboxing experience from my earlier years... as far as stance, i think key is finding a balance, both literally and figuratively... because on one hand, you have to be light on your feet (and so you're on the balls of your feet, with a slight bounce) and yet you have to try to keep your center of gravity low so both that your strikes are more powerful (because ultimately your strike force is generated by pushing off the floor, aka newton's 3rd law of motion) and so that you can absorb strikes better...
i'll spare you my specific advice for striking and kicking because i'm sure your instructor will explain everything in good detail and it will come with experience, naturally... one thing i'll mention for you to keep in mind is newton's second law of motion - the force you generate is a product of mass and acceleration... so, for maximum effectiveness, when striking you need to use your strength + speed... so train both!!
(in addition to the fact that telegraphing your strikes means your opponent will have the time to block or elude them, anyway)

also i'm sure you already know, but flexibility is a huge issue, so stretch well...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 pm 

brien, have you seen zambidis's epic battle with chahid el hadj? someone (bluetrain, i think) posted it in another thread a couple of months ago.... mindblowing stuff.... and mike schiavello's ravings are worth the price of admission alone!!! the guy's an absolute riot...

also, are you familiar with giorgio "the doctor" petrosyan? armenian via italy... the best p4p kickboxer alive...

(as a reference point: he picked apart zambidis, and was in the process of destroying el hadj before an accidental groin strike made it a no contest)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 am 

i'll check all of those out. seriously interested in petrosyan if he was able to pick apart zambidis.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:23 am 

here is the fight george was referring to, one of the most entertaining kickboxing fights ive seen. you can find loads of k1 fights on youtube at the moment. zambo is only a small guy (about 5'6) too and is for the most part fighting guys who are bigger than him which make his achievements in k1 all the more impressive.

petrosyan is definitely the man in kickboxing at the moment though i would really love to see him fight baukaw, its the mayweather/pacquiao of kickboxing at the moment. the last fight they had was a controversial draw (i had baukaw winning)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:45 am 

man i wish i could fight like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:42 pm 

say it ain't so, king mo... :facepalm: i was really looking forward to seeing what mousasi does in the rematch... if something happens to lawal, the strikforce LHW division becomes a two horse race and even more of a farce than it already is...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 am 

Mo will probably be suspended for a year which leads me to think that mousasi and feijao will fight for the title. Just another nail in the coffin for strikeforce despite what dana was saying about keeping them alive. In other news munoz got injured so now its bisping vs sonnen as the main event on the fox card which should be a great fight though i have a feeling chael is going to steamroll him. Demian maia is fighting chris weidman instead now which should be interesting as weidman is a very talented new comer and someone who can hang with maia in the grappling possibly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:32 am 

trane, nate, and others, you seem to know more about mma than me... who would you guys say are the guys with most wasted potential?
it seems to me that karo parisyan would be near the very top of such list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next