DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martial Arts.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:31 am 

definitely! it's a joke, but not at all surprising. Too bad seemingly nobody is calling them out for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:34 pm 

I think Nick's lawyer was trying to sue the athletic commission. But yeah its totally dumb.

Also cruz tore his ACL and won't be fighting faber :mad: Faber proposed an interim title fight with barao or mcdonald, hopefully that goes ahead.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:04 pm 

zombie is such a beautiful fighter... he simply dominated poirier from beginning to end, which i didn't think was possible. can't wait for him to take on aldo. that division is starting to show signs of life!
(although if he drops his hands so much against aldo, he is definitely going to get KOed)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 am 

Beautiful is definitely an appropriate description! zombie was as composed as he was aggressive, just a truly compelling approach! poirer had a few great reverses but otherwise zombie's ground game and takedowns were on another planet, and he seemed to impose his will despite being the smaller fighter. i might even attribute some of poirer's escapes to zombie's aggression finishing style. also saw more effective and varied striking from zombie for 75% of the fight; i wonder if poirer's power just didn't bother him at all, and that's why he neglected much head movement? then again, it was the third round of a fast paced fight, so maybe he was just that tired. regardless, i vocally applauded zombie's performance multiple times throughout the fight, really great stuff. can't wait to see how he evolves!

Pokrajac and Maldonado put on a pretty good show as well

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 am 

Man kz looked amazing, i kind of figured a while back that he'd be a sort of gatekeeper who just provides exciting fights but he's become an excellent well rounded fighter. Whether or not he is up to the task of defeating aldo is a different question, but the zombie has a knack of overwhelming more technical fighters with his style and aldo's biggest 'weakness' if he has one is against taller strikers. I love watching maldonado fight, he has a cool pure boxing style of striking. I felt he got robbed in that fight, he outlanded pokrajac at least 3 to 1. Cerrone looked sharp against stephens, i don't think stephens has ever been beaten that badly on the feet before and stephens has fought the likes of pettis, guillard and stout. I was thinking stephens might have a shot given his ridiculous ko power and cowboy's tendency to block punches with his face but cowboy fought a very smart technical fight (while still being aggressive). Nice ko from filthy tom too, great card all round. Some people have been complaining that there are too many ufc cards at the moment but i personally love these smaller fuel tv and fx cards.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:22 pm 

well, i'm probably not alone in saying i greatly underestimated cormier... such an awesome wrestler/striker combo, plus he is as intelligent, patient, and quick as they come (like fedor at his best, only without the submission game)... i really look forward to seeing him go against ufc's best (we could kinda get an idea how fedor would do)... barnett, too; i hope he makes it...

missed the melendez fight but apparently it was super close?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 am 

The two main events were great. Really big Josh Barnett fan (what can I say, I love pro wrasslin) so I was a little bummed he got beat up so bad, but cot damn Cormier was a manimal. The quickness+technique+low center of gravity+ridic arm/upper-body strength combo is gonna give a lot of people fits, and he changed levels with his striking well too. Gotta say though, within the first two minutes of the fight I was saying out loud "where is the jab?!?" from Barnett. Dude just wasn't throwing it! No surprise that in turn he can't keep Cormier at bay or counter. Come to find out he apparently broke his left (jab) hand early on in the fight. Very disappointing if that's true, and I don't think there is any doubt that it had a huge impact on the fight. Still, congrats to Cormier, dude looked great, can't wait to see what's next for him, and props to Barnett as well, for his mega chin and courage to keep fighting.

George, I had Thompson winning the fight overall (more efficient, more effective/damaging strikes) and 3 rounds to 2 if scored that way. Really close and enjoyable fight though. Melendez nearly threw 400 strikes!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:58 am 

Yeah i think thompson deserved to win it, but gil might of edged out more rounds. It seems like thompson is what marquez is to pacquiao, those two could fight 100 times and it would always be close. Cormier gave barnett quite a beatdown which is what i expected, though i thought cormier would finish it earlier. I'm excited to see both of em in the ufc, hopefully that transition goes smoothly.

George wrote:
well, i'm probably not alone in saying i greatly underestimated cormier... such an awesome wrestler/striker combo, plus he is as intelligent, patient, and quick as they come (like fedor at his best, only without the submission game)

Someone put 'fedor emelianegro' under cormier's nicknames on wikipedia for a bit. So you're not the only person to make that comparison :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 pm 

:lol: Emelianegro... The Dark Emperor.

a thread for y'all to geek out over ufc 146...
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3035

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 pm 

Pretty lame decision after the Maynard-Guida fight. I had Guida winning 4-1, but could understand 3-2. Guida landed as many if not more hard shots as Maynard, and his blows certainly had a more noticeable effect; credit to Guida's vastly superior movement, rolling with Maynard's haymakers on the off chance they landed and minimizing their impact, or just dodging them all together. I lost a lot of respect for Maynard watching this fight. It always annoys me to see guys get pissed off when they realize the other fighter has come with a good game plan, and start whining when they can't adapt. Diaz against Condit immediately comes to mind. Lots of crying and huffing and puffing and appeals to the ref from Maynard all fight long, really off-putting, especially when you consider the fact that Gray visibly grabbed onto Clay's braids three or four times during the fight. Yeah, as if a handful of hair didn't help his (Maynard's) clinch game, which was pretty much the only highlight from Gray in this fight. I see a lot of people on Maynard's dick for putting his hands down in round 4, as if it made him some kinda hard ass, except you know, Guida fucking tagged him three times. Really stupid. Also Mirgliotta is an awful official, even aside of his retarded warning with two minutes left in the damn fight. Why not earlier if it's a problem?? I'd be cool with not watching him officiate another fight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:14 am 

Ferreira-Moraes was a great fight, definitely better than the other finale. Ferreira has some pretty tremendous striking, but Moraes impressed by with his movement and counters, and he showed great heart against a bigger fighter. Russow quite clearly didn't come to fight. Franklin-Silva was way more compelling than I thought it would be. I thought Wandy would win via decision but Franklin fucking brought it. Perhaps Yamasaki could have stopped it in the second after Silva knocked Rich down, but I give him mad props for letting it continue, as it was evident (to me at least) that Franklin was at least defending himself and trying to better his position. Obviously the throwdown gassed Silva out and his activity was visibly slowed, but I'm thinking the welt/injury on his right side played a big part in Franklin' success as well; Wandy's right hand/elbow was hanging pretty low starting in the third, and when it wasn't Rich did a good job of attacking it with some savage kicks and a few punches as well. I felt Franklin was able to build off of the opening, as his combos and level switching were more impressive than Silva's imo. The last minute of the fight was truly epic too. Also I really, really loved the amount of respect and honor evident between these two guys. Alsox2, more props to the judges! I thought they did well tonight, which is really just to say their decisions were pretty similar to mine, lolz.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:15 am 

haven't been able to watch any fights recently (and don't think i'll be able to all summer)

this is a nice little article, btw...
http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1 ... and-losses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:13 pm 

George wrote:
i'm excited to follow nurmagomedov and see how far he can climb the lightweight ladder. the kid's very impressive...
:!:

so did chael trip over his own feet? i can't see what happened exactly but that move looked very awkward... he had no business trying to pull off crazy stunts like that against anderson (like arlovski had no business going at fedor with a flying knee). i'm guessing hector lombard is up next... my mouth is watering at the very thought...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:05 pm 

I miss my friends, Train and George :( big card tonight, Shogun and Machida fighting. I r excite. Phan just fought and beat Cole Miller in a pretty fun boxing match on the precard. I hope the main show lives up to my expectations!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 pm 

i've only had time to watch a couple of fights, albeit post factum, in the last two months... all i'll say for now is no mma fighter gives me more pure joy watching him than lyoto machida... and speaking of brilliant light heavyweighters, someone needs to organize a campaign to bring geghard mousasi over to ufc... he's undoubtedly one of the 4-5 most talented guys in the world in his weight class, and i just feel bad that he has to waste his prime... no, he won't beat jones, but he could have awesome wars with machida, evans, rua, et al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next