DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cycling.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 pm 

So the particular descent he was complaining about is a feature of the tour de france each year?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
:lol: The tour's the greatest sporting event there is now then, eh? It was the Olympics a few months back wasn't it?

Can't watch em all mate. Rest assured I'll be keeping my finger on the pulse of all Australian sporting failures where humanly possible though. Granted it's extremely busy work at the moment, but I'll try my damndest.

I wasn't including multi sport events and I more or less meant annual events.

Tour de France should be a top priority of any sports fan. When you meet someone else who likes the tour de france you know they're a legend, it's like a club of legends. Especially in this part of the world because you know they're one of the other legends who stays up late every night for 3 weeks watching this amazing spectacle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:00 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
So the particular descent he was complaining about is a feature of the tour de france each year?

No, they change the course every year. But they know what the course is going to be a year in advance and they often have finishes at the bottom of descents.

If you can't descend well, improve your skills, simple as that. Everyone is in the same boat. Why are you arguing? It's an undeniable whinge.

It'd be like someone complaining about a mountain top finish being too hard and criticising the organisers for putting it in the course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:03 pm 

MintCondition wrote:
Nick-ola wrote:
:lol: The tour's the greatest sporting event there is now then, eh? It was the Olympics a few months back wasn't it?

Can't watch em all mate. Rest assured I'll be keeping my finger on the pulse of all Australian sporting failures where humanly possible though. Granted it's extremely busy work at the moment, but I'll try my damndest.

I wasn't including multi sport events and I more or less meant annual events.

:lol: :lol: I actually thought you were sending yourself up with the initial comment, but apparently you weren't!

Anyway I'll leave the thread at this juncture because, fun as it is to have a bit of banter with Mint, I suspect I'm detracting from the discussion of the sporting action. Though I will try to catch the finale - your discussion's got me a little interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 pm 

The penultimate stage is a time trial. A lot on the line and will most likely determine the winner but it's not the sort of stage that will probably excite a new viewer.

You need to watch the daily highlights show and the last hour or so of a big mountain stage or two in the first tour you follow to really get drawn in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 am 

The Schleck sandwich has been toasted!!! Burnt to a crisp in fact!

Bloody amazing Cadel Evans. What a ride. This is one of the greatest nights in Australian sport. Calls for a national holiday have been made!! (won't happen though :lol:)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:17 am 

Fuck, man. I woke up when Andy was arriving (after a long night) and couldn't really see Cadel, but I'm so happy for him. As I said before, this was his year, he had to win right now and he nailed it. And as much as I love Andy, I was expecting more from him. What he did is what he usually does or he was even worse?

Congrats to Australia, Mint. You're liars but still winners, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:00 pm 

I think Andy came about 19th or 20th in the stage which is probably pretty good for him. I don't think you'd expect him to be top 10 in a time trial...and he would have had to come 3rd on the stage to keep the YJ.

Evans rode the time trial of his life...just 7 seconds behind the stage winner Tony Martin. 3rd place was Contador, another minute behind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:09 pm 

MintCondition wrote:
The Schleck sandwich has been toasted!!! Burnt to a crisp in fact!

Bloody amazing Cadel Evans. What a ride. This is one of the greatest nights in Australian sport. Calls for a national holiday have been made!! (won't happen though :lol:)

Enjoy it, Mint - sounds like your sleep deprivation has been worth it. Well done to Monsieur Evans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:09 pm 

Sid_Vicious_24 wrote:
Congrats to Australia, Mint. You're liars but still winners, I guess.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:11 pm 

:godbless: Australia. We got a message from a friend at home last night telling us that Cadel had won and we sung a very hearty Advance Australia Fair at 3am in the club we were in. Congrats Cadel!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:11 am 

contador-gets-two-year-ban-stripped-of-tour-de-france-victory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm 

Yeah but the ban is retrospective so he'll be racing again in August. Sure he'll be stripped of his titles but he'll have been racing the majority of the time of the ban so he'll not have lost anything when he comes back.

I'm sure he'll win the veulta a espana in September.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 pm 

how on earth can that ban be retrospective? its not like he was 'in custody' and unable to race during the investigation. that sport is killing itself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 pm 

I think cycling suffers from being the most popular of all the more pure athletic sports. Doping in cycling is like its own industry.

I do think it is cleaner than it was 10 years ago though. You don't see the Lance Armstrong era superman performances so much anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next