DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cycling.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:31 pm 

so is lance actually finally going to go down for doping?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:54 pm 

Well, he's stopped fighting the charges:

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/l ... st-23-2012

What's the evidence against him again?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:18 am 

hasnt been explicitly stated. but all of his teamates are willing to tesify against, and every other decent cyclist from that era was a cheat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
ESPN was reporting this as "Lance's cycling career has been negated," basically. I don't see this being the end. There's no way the most legendary cyclist, and the career of one of the most heralded athletes of all time, can be swept away by him simply refusing to pursue a challenge of his accusers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 am 

he cant afford to be actually busted though, he's lived one of the most egregious lies of all time if he does, and thats all people will remember.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:22 am 

I think he knows that the public knows what rockvirtuoso said: that every cyclist from that era was doping. Therefore, no one will really care that much. He was a cheater who outperformed the other cheaters, more or less.

From a personal standpoint, I certainly don't care. I've never been a huge Lance Armstrong fan in a "don't really care" sort of way rather than a "I don't like him" sort of way, and this has no effect on that, really.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:28 am 

I have no doubt he was on EPO like every other contender at the time. The more you read about it the more clear that becomes. He's cutting his losses with this decision.

For the sake of his foundation etc it's good he's let it go rather than letting himself be torn apart through a very public tribunal process. Now he'll always be able to say it was a biased witch hunt, that he was clean etc and that will be enough for his legion of fans and more importantly the millions of people he's inspired as a cancer survivor to keep believing in him. His foundation has raised so much money and does so many good things. In this situation maybe it would have been better to protect the story than the truth just for the sake of his foundation. 'Cancer survivor goes on to become one of the top 10 all time greats of cycling' doesn't need the cheat bit added to it. It's like adding boiling water to ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:29 pm 

http://www.oprah.com/own_tv/onc/lance-a ... g-one.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 pm 

he's finally confessed. started 15 mins ago

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/liv ... 2cxe7.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 pm 

Interesting stuff, indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm 

seemed extremely uncomfortable and i understand why. i did like how he attacked the hyperbolic language of the usada report..the most sophisticated drug operation or whatever they said in the history of the sport...yeah right, it was rampant and everyone was doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 am 

hilarious
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/whe ... 2d22k.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 pm 

kosherrock wrote:
seemed extremely uncomfortable and i understand why. i did like how he attacked the hyperbolic language of the usada report..the most sophisticated drug operation or whatever they said in the history of the sport...yeah right, it was rampant and everyone was doing it.

Well his PR exercise has sucked you in if you're finding reason to like him.

It definitely was the most sophisticated drug operation in the history of road cycling...that's why it was so successful. The fact Lance has to point to the East German drug programs of the 80's as being worse shows just how sophisticated it was. And Lance, unlike other riders was right at the centre of it. He was the kingpin. He needs to go in front of a proper tribunal under oath and tell all. All the names, all the details. Then maybe he can do some good and attempt to restore his name and do some ironman events. But he only cares about himself, he's a complete sociopath.

I don't buy a lot of what he said in that interview (never doped in his comeback etc) and I didn't see any real remorse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 am 

Uh, no not really. It's more of not caring about his drug use since he's a cyclist.

And no, I don't buy in that it was an ultra sophisticated operation, the most sophisticated in history. I don't think it had to be because, again, every cyclist who is competitive dopes. Even if it was, so what? The UCI sucks at their job and so does the USADA. even after all of this stuff coming out, doping is going to be just as prevalent in cycling. I don't think riders have to be especially sneaky or careful in order to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm 

To be clear, I don't feel any sort of remorse for lance Armstrong. In my eyes, the cheating itself and the myths propelled by the cheating are two completely different issues. I have no problem with the cheating in cycling; cycling has always been filthy with PED use.

I haven't decided how much I loathe his "livestrong" myth. If he was able to inspire people with cancer and keep them in the best possible spirits, ultimately, where's the problem? I cant imagine anyone truly helped by livestrong would view the situation with hindsight and wish they could return the help. Now when wer're talking about the bullying and suing...just the all around life smashing that he did to former teammates, journalists, employees and other people close him, that's where I think him being a sociopathic piece of shit shines brightest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next