It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rugby (League and Union).
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:00 am 

Frethaygil wrote:
rockvirtuoso wrote:
the hell for?

Eh, I'm no nationalist, and usually apathetic when it comes to sport. But it's hard not to get involved when it's a world cup at home, and it's fun to support an underdog. Great game from the French too, pretty sure all of NZ was terrified for those last ten minutes. Probably a good thing the French lost though, my girlfriend was gonna blame me if the French had won.

That's the thing, the French just AREN'T an underdog... they don't really have that quality about them at all. They're not a small country or a particuarly poor one or anything

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DndQ4HnBxw he he, webb ellis song. a nz friend made me listen to it after the match ended

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 am 

The french generally speaking aren't an underdog, or suit the title but they were long odds to win and probably should have. AB'S were paying $1.04 and the french were $6.50 or similar given no chance basically. i still cant believe and new Zealander (freth) wasn't going for the all blacks, that's blasphemy over there isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:16 am 

i agree about the french not really being an underdog. there's way too good of a rugby tradition in france. 3 finals in 7 tournaments. whens the last time they were out of the top 10? they do alright in six nations, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:28 am 

Has the definition of "underdog" changed? France were undeniably an underdog.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:47 pm 

they weren't favorites, but they've won enough and they're good enough that it wouldn't have been a shocker.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:25 pm 

It would have been a big shock, France have been terrible throughout the tournament. They lost to Tonga and only made it through to the quarters because Tonga lost to Canada or all countries! Then in the semis they only just beat a 14 man Welsh team that still outplayed them on the night. They stepped up hugely last night and were probably the marginally better team for most of the match but couldn't quite get there. They dominated the 2nd half.

Congrats to NZ though, they were gutsy. Was a great game and NZ definitely deserve to win the tournament.

Australasia, rugby world champions for the 4th time. We won it guys!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:57 pm 

beyonddeities wrote:
Frethaygil wrote:
rockvirtuoso wrote:
the hell for?

Eh, I'm no nationalist, and usually apathetic when it comes to sport. But it's hard not to get involved when it's a world cup at home, and it's fun to support an underdog. Great game from the French too, pretty sure all of NZ was terrified for those last ten minutes. Probably a good thing the French lost though, my girlfriend was gonna blame me if the French had won.

That's the thing, the French just AREN'T an underdog... they don't really have that quality about them at all. They're not a small country or a particuarly poor one or anything

Fine then! I just did it cuz I'm a BAD PERSON.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:26 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

They havent been terrible throughout the tournament. They just play a lower scoring type of game than NZ or Australia. Another french defeat in the finals =(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:14 am 

Chemical Ali wrote:
They havent been terrible throughout the tournament. They just play a lower scoring type of game than NZ or Australia. Another french defeat in the finals =(

They played well in the first half against England as well but every other game they've been poor. Two losses in the pool, being pushed by Japan for 70 minutes, scraping through against a 14 man Wales. But they got through and played great when it mattered...just didn't quite do enough or have any luck in the final. Perhaps their luck had run out because they'd used up quite a lot of it already!!

France will surely win it one day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:53 am 

Watching McCaw raise the cup was an incredible moment. Proudest moment being a kiwi so far tbh :godsave:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:01 am 

Machine Head wrote:
Watching McCaw raise the cup was an incredible moment. Proudest moment being a kiwi so far tbh :godsave:

I'm sure every new zealander would have been proud, its a long time coming and if they didn't win all hell would have broken lose. It now remains to be seen how the Kiwis can perform in the four nations, i wouldn't take too much notice of the recent smashing, the kiwis have a knack of getting up for the big games.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm 

good start for the kangaroos in the four nations, a solid performance, though we let the Kiwis back into the game in the second half.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 am 

R.I.P Artie Beetson :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 am 

so another NRL season is starting on thursday. looks like an even comp this year and a number could win it, whats your top 8? mine is in no particular order

broncos
storm
tigers
manly
warriors
sharks
panthers
knights

i just think sharks will improve and panthers look good on paper and a new coach
knights will thrive under bennett, dragons will struggle and miss 8, parra for spoon. my pick for premiers is brisbane
what do you think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 43  Next