DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 212  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 am 

lonewolf371 wrote:
I'm actually a little worried about their offense next year without Werth.

They're a little lefty heavy, but if healthy, I'm not too worried. The one thing they're not going to replace with Werth was his combination of speed and power. His RBIs will probably be replaced (he hit under .200 with runners in scoring position), but his runs scored probably will not. I will miss his defense, though. I'm not trying to sell Werth short--he's a 5 tool guy--but a healthy lineup will mean more to the offense than Werth did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:54 pm 

corrections wrote:
lonewolf371 wrote:

With 2 of the top 5, three of the top 10, and four of the top 25-30 pitchers in the game I don't think it will matter all that much assuming they don't run into injury trouble. It certainly will make them nigh unbeatable come playoff time.

Not scoring runs can hurt you. I see them as a favorite, but by no means an overwhelming favorite.

pgm wrote:
lonewolf371 wrote:

They're a little lefty heavy, but if healthy, I'm not too worried. The one thing they're not going to replace with Werth was his combination of speed and power. His RBIs will probably be replaced (he hit under .200 with runners in scoring position), but his runs scored probably will not. I will miss his defense, though. I'm not trying to sell Werth short--he's a 5 tool guy--but a healthy lineup will mean more to the offense than Werth did.

He was arguably their best position player last year. With all the other star players on the wrong side of 30, an aging, strikeout-prone Ryan Howard, and almost certain regression by Ruiz, their offense may be worse than you think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 pm 

He was probably the most consistent, but he was one of the few healthy and he was playing for a contract. I'm not saying he's not valuable. I just think a healthy Rollins at the top means more than Werth in the middle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:10 pm 

lonewolf371 wrote:
corrections wrote:
lonewolf371 wrote:

With 2 of the top 5, three of the top 10, and four of the top 25-30 pitchers in the game I don't think it will matter all that much assuming they don't run into injury trouble. It certainly will make them nigh unbeatable come playoff time.

Not scoring runs can hurt you. I see them as a favorite, but by no means an overwhelming favorite.

pgm wrote:
lonewolf371 wrote:

He was arguably their best position player last year. With all the other star players on the wrong side of 30, an aging, strikeout-prone Ryan Howard, and almost certain regression by Ruiz, their offense may be worse than you think.

Yes it can. And actually the Braves rotation was 93 was probably just as good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 am 

Yea, I think the Braves '93 rotation was probably better. Maddox had a better career than Cliff Lee probably will, but both were the biggest off-season signings in their respective times. Holliday is probably better than Smoltz (if not for his career, certainly for 1992 vs. 2010). Glavine's career was better than Hammels's will probably be. Even in their respective times, Glavine comes out on top. He was taking two 20-win seasons into 1993. Oswalt vs. Avery is a toss up. If Oswalt pitches like he did at the end of last season, he's better (he had a 1.74 ERA). But he can't do that for a whole season.

So, overall, I would say the Phillies big 4 is more established than the Braves' big 4 was at the time, but the Braves' big 4 went on to have better careers than this current Phillies lineup can manage (I believe). It's an interesting twist of fate that the team to beat the '93 Braves was the miracle Phillies with Dykstra, Daulton, Kruk and Schilling. The MVP of the Braves series was Curt Schilling, who went an impressive 0-0 with a 1.69 ERA (the second part is, of course, impressive). Mitch Williams managed to get those two wins because he first blew the save.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 am 

corrections wrote:
Not scoring runs can hurt you.

Not according to San Francisco!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:12 pm 

pgm wrote:
The MVP of the Braves series was Curt Schilling, who went an impressive 0-0 with a 1.69 ERA (the second part is, of course, impressive). Mitch Williams managed to get those two wins because he first blew the save.

From what little I've seen of Williams aside from Game 6 in '93, I never got how he was such a great closer. He had quite a few blown saves many years, and he never recovered after the Carter homer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:58 pm 

batman wrote:
corrections wrote:
Not scoring runs can hurt you.

Not according to San Francisco!

They were middle-of-the-road for an NL offense last year. They weren't poor, and they barely made the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:35 am 

Ace of Spades wrote:
From what little I've seen of Williams aside from Game 6 in '93, I never got how he was such a great closer. He had quite a few blown saves many years, and he never recovered after the Carter homer.

I honestly couldn't tell you. The '93 Phillies were my first baseball memory, so I can't comment on Williams's former quality of play. The general consensus is his fastball had declined too much and despite it being apparent to many, Fregosi decided to go with his guy. Williams did have 43 saves that season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:05 am 

Greinke to the Brew Crew.

Fuuuuuuck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 am 

lonewolf371 wrote:
Greinke to the Brew Crew.

Fuuuuuuck.

How the fuck did they swing that? Yuck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 pm 

3.5 O/U on Webb's ERA next year

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm 

In Texas? Over.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:34 pm 

Led for your Head wrote:
In Texas? Over.

Anywhere? Over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:25 pm 

"Congrats to Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven for making the baseball Hall of Fame, but seriously, fuck the voters who didn't put Palmeiro, Bagwell, McGriff and Raines on their ballots. Fuck you, you fucking asshole voters. Goddammit."

-from my Facebook

These writers who diminish the accomplishments of these guys because they played in the "Steroid Era" or, in Raines' case, because they don't grok sabermetrics, really piss me off.

I don't mention McGwire because yeah, he hit a fuckton of homers, but he was one-dimensional–his other stats don't add up to HOF-worthy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 212  Next