DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 570  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football (Soccer).
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 am 

whilst im for technology in certain sports, football for some reason i dont think will work that well, there are too many things you could adjudicate on, you'd never get a game flowing, the only thing that could perhaps be useful is goal line technology, but could it be totally accurate? i suppose they could do something but what if a goalies arms is covering the ball right on the line, could it decipher what is the ball and the goalie's arm for example. may as well leave it as is, they get it right most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:39 am 

MintCondition wrote:
Ronaldo's the one that can't do it on the big stage (usually). Messi has stepped up in many a big champions league games, el classico' etc.

The lack of dominance at international level is a more legitimate criticism but I don't think it's 100% fair. If Messi has one dominant world cup there'll be nothing left for the doubters to cling to and you'd have to say he has at least another couple of good chances.

I think Ronaldo's big game record is quite good, but I don't think it compares to Messi's. I agree with what you say about the international stage - Messi was actually pretty excellent in South Africa. It's just that when he had to pick up the ball from the centre backs because Maradona didn't want to pick a midfield, he obviously wasn't going be able to cause the kind of damage he usually does.

The "can't perform without Xavi and Iniesta" argument is pretty poor imo. The facts kind of speak for themselves - Messi carries Barca, especially this season. I'd also wager that he gets more assists than them as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:41 am 

The whole of the ball didn't cross the whole of the line. I wish the ITV punditry team would stop trying to create controversy where there is none and just accept it was a magnificent save. On the match, I actually thought it was a pretty good game by recent FA Cup Final standards (Chelsea-United anyone?), although Liverpool did barely anything for 60 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:44 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
John G wrote:
whilst im for technology in certain sports, football for some reason i dont think will work that well, there are too many things you could adjudicate on, you'd never get a game flowing, the only thing that could perhaps be useful is goal line technology, but could it be totally accurate? i suppose they could do something but what if a goalies arms is covering the ball right on the line, could it decipher what is the ball and the goalie's arm for example. may as well leave it as is, they get it right most of the time.
magnetic field, magnets in the ball, no magnets in the goalkeeper. goal line tech is simple and a must. the cost and who pays for it is probably the bigger question. mebbe.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:42 am 

They could easily make use of the same eagle eye ball tracking technology that cricket and tennis use. If it can be done in those sports, it can be done in football where the ball is significantly bigger and often not traveling as fast. Occasions where it would be used are rare to begin with so people who claim it will affect the flow of the game are being intentionally ridiculous. In the odd match where it's necessary, I hardly think stopping the game for 20 seconds to check a goal is unreasonable.

The backup (just in case the tracking ever stuffed up) would be to have a camera(s) on the inside of the post with a marker of the end of the goal line. Even if you just did that you would get 99.9% of decisions right and take the decision away from a guy standing at an imperfect angle, 35 metres away.

Goal line review should have come in years ago and I really can't believe it hasn't. Soccer has the worst politics of any sport in the world and is so big it can't solve any problems. If anyone who wasn't a dickhead ran FIFA they would have goal line technology and diving sorted out in 1 day. These are, as far as I can tell, the only two problems that exist with the game itself. Because it's so elegant and simple it's not like most other sports which have to keep tweaking and adjusting the rules and processes etc to keep up with certain negative trends. It should be simple. There are two problems, sort them out and then you can get back to selling your world cups to whoever gives you the best presents.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:00 am 

i was thinking about the hawk eye type technology, perhaps they dont want to invest in something that wouldn't necessarily be used every game, how common is checking such incidents? the use of close range cameras may be an answer.one thing that should be developed is fake dive technology, be all for that :biggrin: .

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 am 

All you need to do to stop diving is start banning players for doing it. 5 game suspension for a dive (which can be reviewed after the match) and you won't see anyone do it anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:01 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
MintCondition wrote:
They could easily make use of the same eagle eye ball tracking technology that cricket and tennis use.
On this topic surely you and I should be in complete agreement. GoalRef magnets cheaper and instantaneous, no cameras required (it rains a lot in football, many bodies blocking the ball from view), and it's a German/Danish company (think men's handball). Hawk-eye, British company. Pricey, not 100% accurate. Fed hates it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqfC-L2yLD8

[hawk-eye triangulation] software can only track the ball and predict the flight path as long as 25 per cent of it is visible - no decision could be given if the ball was "buried" under a keeper's body ... useless british tech.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:14 am 

Fair enough Krym...I haven't really looked into it that much but that would seem a better option for soccer. I think eagle/hawk eye is still very good for tennis and cricket though. The main thing though is that whatever you go with, technology that is far superior to the human eye already exists.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:27 am 

MintCondition wrote:
All you need to do to stop diving is start banning players for doing it. 5 game suspension for a dive (which can be reviewed after the match) and you won't see anyone do it anymore.

Impossible to enforce apart from the most Suarez esque dives.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:20 pm 

Furthermore it would encourage foul play of another sort. If players run the risk of getting banned for diving then they'll stay up when fouled and the referee is less likely to notice that foul.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:17 pm 

Krym wrote:
I had a choice between watching a screening of Pather Panchali with friends or the FA cup final & arsenal's draw...Pather won out. So, is it worth looking for the replays?

good choice, brilliant film

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:19 pm 

MintCondition wrote:

i agree with this kind of punishment but it needs to be less harsh because sometimes there is a very fine line between a dive and a foul.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:38 pm 

Georgi wrote:
MintCondition wrote:

:lol: Love how even selection of players as examples of divers reveals our personal biases.
My choice? Ashley Young. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:03 pm 

Nick-ola wrote:
Georgi wrote:
MintCondition wrote:

:lol: Love how even selection of players as examples of divers reveals our personal biases.
My choice? Ashley Young. :lol:

i will never forgive fabio Grosso, italy's 2006 WC diver, never... :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 570  Next