DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Football (Soccer) Managers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:41 am 

I love Graham Taylor. Being a fan of a lower league club, I appreciate that he, along with the likes of Neil Warnock and Steve Coppell is one of the best lower league managers ever.

I don't even think you can say that lower league managers are worse than big managers, just because they haven't won any domestic titles or European trophies etc. I think they just suit jobs differently, I'd much rather have Warnock or Coppell in charge of Leicester in the Championship than I would Mourinho or Guardiola. Unfortunately, it's hard to compare managers in the lower leagues to the big names, so as great a job as Taylor did with Watford and Villa and imo he's certainly a much better manager than some others on here, he can't really be put on this list.

A list of the greatest ever lower league managers would be awesome, though it'd be very hard to find data on other countries lower leagues. I'd certainly be up for doing a list of the greatest ever lower league managers in England though. Might do one over xmas when I'm back home and not working and have more time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:37 pm 

Where are you at the moment, avery?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:31 am 

After watching Sky Sports greatest managers series, i feel Trappattoni needs to be moved up the list 21 major trophies including 10 League titles in 4 different countries, seven European/international trophies from eight finals (a record only beaten by Alex Ferguson in European football) as well as his current success with Ireland surely means Trappattoni deserves a place in the top 10.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:38 am 

Mark85 wrote:
seven European/international trophies from eight finals (a record only beaten by Alex Ferguson in European football)

:eh:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am 

Trapp could definitely move into the top 10 but the guys ahead of him certainly have fine credentials. I don't think I agree with that SAF stat though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:49 am 

Nick-ola wrote:
Mark85 wrote:
seven European/international trophies from eight finals (a record only beaten by Alex Ferguson in European football)

:eh:

I meant Trappattoni had won three Europa Leagues, 1 Cup Winners Cup, 1 Super Cup, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 Champions League title from 2 finals. Although i admit including the Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup may be a bit excessive in some peoples eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:41 pm 

Yes, I was planning on putting Trap in the top 10 on the next revision whenever I get round to it, I've not had much time recently though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:33 am 

A list highlighting number of European finals domestic football managers have reached, was suprised by some finals managers had reached and won and was the list i was going on in regards to Ferguson reaching and winning most European finals.

www.rsssf.com/players/ec-coach.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 am 

I do think that Fergie's poor record in Europe is far overstated - his record is as good as pretty much anyone's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:45 am 

i guess with mourinho's career still being pretty young i can understand him being at #17 i think it was. but he's won a major trophy every season he's managed since 03-04 and he's been with 4 different teams, 4 different leagues in that span.

edit: i'd also like to see a top 10 dynasty. that would be something fun to debate about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:53 am 

With Pep Guardiola announcing he is leaving Barcelona at the end of the current season, surely now is a good time to look at his position on the Greatest football managers list, as surely Guardiola deserves to be higher than 69th place he is currently at.

Although i don't feel he deserves to be at the top of the list with the likes of Michels who helped create 'Total Football' or Ferguson who has built several successful teams over three decades at United. Guardiola was fortunate that he inherited a team of winners from Frank Rijkaard that had already won Champions Leagues and La Liga championships. Guardiola never had to rebuild teams and what he has achieved in four years surely can't match what the like of Ferguson has in almost 40. Surely a manager who has rebuilt his team time and again deserves a higher place than a manager who has had one successful team albeit arguably the greatest team of them all. Guardiola was also fortunate that he inherited one of the greatest footballers to ever kick a football in Lionel Messi because without him surely Barcelona would not of being as successful as they have being in the last few years. However despite saying all that Guardiola's achievements at Barcelona have surely secured him a place as one of the all time great footballing managers.

Guardiola does need moving up the list as he produce a team that will be remembered for generations to come as he built a team with the likes of Messi, Puyol, Pique and the rest that at times looked unbeatable, he produced a 'family Unit' that seem to take on all on comers and Win. Guardiola has a record over such a relatively small period that is unlikely to be matched, 6 major trophies and 13 trophies in all (With a Cup final still to come) whilst playing some of the best football ever to be seen deserves respect and his Barcelona team are up there with the all time great teams like the Milan team of the late 80's and early 90's and the Ajax team of the 1970's. Guardiola deserves praise for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 pm 

I would like to see Marcelo Bielsa in this list. He definitely has some interesting achievements according to the criteria and should be considered. Most of his genius relies in club/team transformation and identity rather than on winning a bunch of things. He takes small teams and gets the best of them in a short time. He's brilliant in every way possible. I'm probably going to make a case for him in the next few days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm 

bielsa was a monster with bilbao this year

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 pm 

Mark85 wrote:
as well as his current success with Ireland surely means Trappattoni deserves a place in the top 10.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:49 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
Yes, I was planning on putting Trap in the top 10 on the next revision whenever I get round to it, I've not had much time recently though.

His credentials are slipping and he should retire now. Not just because Ireland were hammered by Germany, their overall status is declining and there is nothing Trappatoni can do about it. Get out now I say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next