DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: London Olympics 2012
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:51 am 

i hope the "missile" fires in the pool tonight, he has to forget the hype and expectation and just focus on what he can do, and do it, hes the fastest qualifier, come on...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:44 am 

SanTropez wrote:
MintCondition wrote:
Should be a good battle tonight between the USA and us Europeans in the 4x100m freestyle relay.

The Australian team has been nicknamed the weapons of mass destruction so its no wonder the Americans don't know where we are.
Hey-yo!

Yeah was a bit of a choke. On paper our team should have won with some ground to spare, but our 2 fastest swimmers each went a second slower than expected. Great win by the French though to get over the top of the US.

Now our fastest swimmer, 'the missile' James Magnussen is in the 100m individual final as fastest qualifier. Will be interesting to see if he can bring it on the big stage this time.

Big question remaining in the swimming for me is can Michael Phelps win another individual gold medal? No male swimmer has ever won the same event at 3 consecutive olympics...several have gone for it and got close but none have quite got there. So far the curse has struck Phelps. He was ahead in the 200m butterfly virtually until the last few inches. A bad touch relegated him to silver. He'll have two more chances in the 100m butterfly and 200m individual medley. I think Lochte will probably win the latter but fancy Phelps in the 100 fly. That said there have been a number of upsets in the swimming this year and there's always a chance the next big thing is going to show up in that event as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am 

MintCondition wrote:
SanTropez wrote:
MintCondition wrote:
Should be a good battle tonight between the USA and us Europeans in the 4x100m freestyle relay.

The Australian team has been nicknamed the weapons of mass destruction so its no wonder the Americans don't know where we are.
Hey-yo!

Yeah was a bit of a choke. On paper our team should have won with some ground to spare, but our 2 fastest swimmers each went a second slower than expected. Great win by the French though to get over the top of the US.

Now our fastest swimmer, 'the missile' James Magnussen is in the 100m individual final as fastest qualifier. Will be interesting to see if he can bring it on the big stage this time.

Big question remaining in the swimming for me is can Michael Phelps win another individual gold medal? No male swimmer has ever won the same event at 3 consecutive olympics...several have gone for it and got close but none have quite got there. So far the curse has struck Phelps. He was ahead in the 200m butterfly virtually until the last few inches. A bad touch relegated him to silver. He'll have two more chances in the 100m butterfly and 200m individual medley. I think Lochte will probably win the latter but fancy Phelps in the 100 fly. That said there have been a number of upsets in the swimming this year and there's always a chance the next big thing is going to show up in that event as well.
Oh, I wasn't referring to us actually beating you, just that I thought you made a pretty good joke. It made me laugh.

Yah, tough break by Phelps on that one race. I was watching that and couldn't believe he lost right at the end. It seemed like a combination of bad luck for him and good luck for the other guy in terms of where each of them were in relation to their stroke and how far from the wall they were. I bet he wishes he could do that one over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 pm 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
daft funk + fencing, he he.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm 

I've been pretty impressed by Team GBs football teams, even if they don't contain nearly enough Scots for my liking. Unexpected and deserved wins over Brazil and Uruguay within 2 days :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 pm 

Kim Jiyeon's movement/footwork was massive today, as was her confidence. Her success seemed to demoralize her opponents, particularly Zagunis. Great stuff. Gotta say though, the screaming after every point (and even when they aren't rewarded a point) is annoying as fuck. Not to single Kim out, lots of other girls were doing it, but damn, shit is worse than the shriekers in women's tennis.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:04 am 

magnusson get's beaten by 1/100th of a second in the 100m final :facepalm: if he has his palm down and fingers out he wins, ridiculous, hes learnt a few lessons this games and will be better for it they're, 1. dont believe the hype, 2.dont talk yourself up too much weeks out. 3. dont count your chickens before they hatch. 4. dont expect gold just because you're the fastest in the world on paper. Our media is to blame too...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:56 am 

our media are worse than the british these days. good to see hewitt play some excellent tennis against novak too, he was actually very close to winning the match in the second set there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:22 am 

hewitt went real well, then backed up and played mixed doubles and won with stosur, hes wholehearted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 am 

Id like to post comment on the venues that have been created - Not particulary the new ones like the velodrome etc, but those like the cycling time trial, the eventing and beach volleyball. They are just magnificent !!

When wiggo's medal ceremony was done in front of hampton court palace, it was simply breathtaking.

Good on the badminton federation for banning those chinese and korean teams for not trying !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:23 am 

I don't like basketball, but I'd be so happy if we managed to beat USA.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:38 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
The Seeker wrote:
Good on the badminton federation for banning those chinese and korean teams for not trying !!!!
That is one way to look at it. The other way is to consider they were trying to create the most wins for their country. individualist west vs collective east thinking. It did make me stop and think for a minute.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:47 am 

Bulgaria beat Australia straights sets in the volleyball :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 am 

Man, I really don't get the Equestrian events. Honestly just looks like the horses prance around like a pack of poofters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 am 

Georgi wrote:
Bulgaria beat Australia straights sets in the volleyball :cool:

The Australians choked a few times there. Volleyball is probably my favourite event of these Olympics. I've really enjoyed watching it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next