It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

How many people do you know/have you heard of who didn't like Fury Road?
The big zero 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
1 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
2-3 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
4-5 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
6-10 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
more??? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Mad Max haters?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 pm 

Yourself included. Please state if this is the case.

Post subject: Re: Mad Max haters?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:09 pm 

1, and it's definitely not me.

Another person I know said he thought the visuals were great but thought the story was weak. I think this is the most retarded thing I've heard this year. Not necessarily because it's not true but because he actually said those words.

Last edited by PBR Streetgang on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:09 pm 

seriously haven't heard anybody talk shit about it so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:22 pm 

a friend of a friend said something like "It's really interesting to look at but I just don't know what people get out of movie experiences like that or why it's so special. It has nothing to do with life."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:27 pm 

Excluding wanta? That'd be a big fat John G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:38 pm 

Dreww wrote:
a friend of a friend said something like "It's really interesting to look at but I just don't know what people get out of movie experiences like that or why it's so special. It has nothing to do with life."

There is a great sadness within this man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:05 pm 

PBR Streetgang wrote:
1, and it's definitely not me.

Another person I know said he thought the visuals were great but thought the story was weak. I think this is the most retarded thing I've heard this year. Not necessarily because it's not true but because he actually said those words.

? I don't get how that is retarded. I've heard many a imdbro say that same thing about it, great visuals, not much of a story, pretty much just a 2 hour car chase. I feel like it holds some truth, as I believe the gut reaction of the average joe to hold a lot of worth these days. I'm kinda perplexed by the perfect grades it has been getting, since that's the most obvious criticism one could give it.

For the record, I finally saw it and liked it just fine, tho I find it pretty overrated. It's kind of one of those movies that begs you to judge it under its own terms, under the 'pure action movie' perspective. Which I guess is forgiving of things that make a generally good movie like fleshed out characters and an elaborate story (I actually found Nicholas Hoult to be the only real character). But even under that perspective, I found the pacing of it all real draggy when it started to slow down, making various waves of actiony sequences feel like a chore, as in I catch myself looking at my watch when it happens or sighing (there was a guy next to me snoring). I'll admit that a lot of the action was more comprehensible than most modern blockbuster types, but then again that's relative to most modern blockbuster types. And I still found myself lost at times. I'm a slow guy, I need things to be on screen for awhile for it to impact me. It also probably didn't help that I saw Chow's Kung Fu Hustle the night before, which I found more successful at implementing cgi with real elaborate action staging.

And who says you have to give up character development to be a well oiled action machine? I put The Road Warrior at the head of the heap in terms of being economical with its character beats so you actually care about nearly every single character. Someone brought up at critforums that in TRW you care about every character who dies, even the minor ones, but in Fury Road, even the big characters who die you sorta shrug at (except for one, you know who I'm talking about).

I will watch it again tho, since I only was able to see it in 2D, which I thought it did it a disservice since a lot of the effects didn't pop at me spectacularly as much as I would have liked.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 pm 

I voted two. Can't remember who said it, but someone told me their Dad walked out after ten minutes or so. Also, my sister saw it with her husband and told me she didn't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:26 pm 

Whiny redpill dipshits are boycotting the movie for being feminist propaganda, it is about women fighting rapists right? The horror.

http://www.donotlink.com/framed?704311

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:52 pm 

those redpill people are... weird. seriously. one of the few internet subcultures or whatever that makes me uncomfortable just to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:57 pm 

what exactly is the redpill Reddit?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:14 pm 

preserve your blessed ignorance forever; it is God's greatest gift

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 pm 

Basically it's a whole community of this guy

aspiring to be this guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:35 pm 

My dad walked out apparently

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 pm 

1. My cousin didn't get it and fell asleep at some point.

If I'm perfectly honest though, I may have not liked the movie as much I thought or said I did. A big part of me was lukewarm about it, and it's not a movie I'm raring to watch again or discuss. It's still a good movie, but I think the hype got to me and made me want to believe I enjoyed the film more.