DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Films/Directors/Genres/Misc you are currently obsessed with
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:52 am 

Just like the one in the music discussion section. Figured we should have one for movies since it makes sense, plus there's always that film-review trepidation/obligation factor that lingers on, when all you really want to do is just tell everyone you're obsessed with something without having to break shit down. But you can do that here if you want to too fo sho.

Recently I've been obsessed with Josef Von Sternberg like big time. I think there's some kind of resonating power in how calculated and controlled his movies are, especially with lighting and how he handles actors. Like how there was that discussion about narrative taking the wayside in a lot of art films to mood, textures, lighting, atmosphere, etc, well I think he's a prime example of that since he keeps his stories almost deceptively simple, mythological even. In that way, I would even consider him like the darker, more perverse version of John Ford, obviously not genre wise, but at least in how they both take very simple stories and make artistic behemoths out of them. I just saw the Scarlet Empress the other night and I think it's maybe the most plastic film I've seen, totally anti-naturalistic, yet I felt nearly every self-conscious detail he employed throughout the film deep in my bones. It also had this super odd mixture of comedy and costume melodrama that was so foreign to me at first that it was quite hard to get into, but once you're willing to suspend your disbelief here, the film becomes a deeply felt overwhelming experience.

Plus deep down inside, we all love a good control freak when it comes to directors.

Post subject: Re: Films/Directors/Genres/Misc you are currently obsessed w
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 am 

Deeply ashamed to say I haven't seen any Von Sternberg. Going to have to get around to that.

Obviously I'm obsessed with Japanese cinema right now, particularly Ozu and Kurosawa, and over the past two days specifically Seven Samurai. It's just a perfect film, maybe my favorite even over Rules of the Game and It's a Wonderful Life. I plan to write a long form review of it before school starts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:33 am 

Only ones I've seen are Shanghai Express, Morocco and The SHanghai Gesture. I loved SE, but I really could not feel even a bit of chemistry between Dietrich and Cooper in Morocco, although the rest of the film was as good as voon Sterberg usually is I take it. I totally wanna see The Blue Angel and The Docks Of New York. I like how you call him a more perverse version of John Ford, in a way that totally makes sense. I just don't think he's at all as good, really. I mean, John Ford is probably my favourite American director ever, so that's a hard thing to surpass. But yeah they definitely have their similarities.

I am totally obsessed with Jean-Pierre Melville at the moment. In the past few months I have watched Le Samourai, Un Flic, Le Doulos, Bob le Flambeur and Le Silence de la Mer and all of them are at least very good. The guy is a total master of lighting and meticulous planning in his films; I love the way the characters' every single move is studied and captured on camera to create immense tension during that particular scene. I am seriously looking forward to his remaining films, especially Army Of Shadows, The Red Circle and La Deuxième Souffle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:44 pm 

Seven Samurai obsession still going. Also Straw Dogs. The Criterion is out of print, but you can still get it for a good price on Amazon used. It has the best commentary track of all time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:27 pm 

stop downloading tm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 am 

Dreww wrote:
Seven Samurai obsession still going.

Remember when B claimed that Mars Attacks was a better movie?

Gee I sure miss that guy, wait... NO I DON'T.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
stop downloading tm

got almost all of them on DVD

but I will never stop downloading. have you?

Dreww wrote:
Seven Samurai obsession still going. Also Straw Dogs. The Criterion is out of print, but you can still get it for a good price on Amazon used. It has the best commentary track of all time.

My favourite atm is Peter Bogdanovich's for The Searchers.
oh and Straw Dogs is badass.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 am 

Can't believe they have re-made Straw Dogs!!! it's basically the same film (going by previews) a bit like what Van Sant did with Psycho (almost shot for shot)..Straw Dogs is one of the more intense films i have ever seen, in fact i think it is the MOST intense film experience for me personally although The Exorcist a few years back was just as suspenseful...

I am and have been obsessed with Kurosawa to the point where he has surpassed Kubrick as my favourite filmmaker of all time!! Rashomon, High And Low, 7S, Throne Of Blood and the most brilliant Ran!! Can't get enough of those films. I also love watching Coen Bros. more than ever..A Serious Man and No Country..are films i can watch anytime without a second thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am 

why has no one told me about czech new wave before? i just watched daisies the other night and thought it was pretty cool, but the real surprise came with Jaromil Jireš' " Valerie and Her Week of Wonders". has anyone here watched this movie? if so let's discuss on how fucking amazing and surreal this was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 pm 

I've watched "Grave of the Fireflies" about 3 times this week. Sure, its depressingly heartbreaking but the animation and feel of the film is fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:54 pm 

I'm pretty sure Rio Bravo is my favorite Western now and probably amongst my fav films period. If there was one film to demonstrate the best qualities and potentialities of Hollywood tradition, it is that movie. In Hawks we trust.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:28 pm 

Ya need a rig like that to sing?

much love to Angie Dickinson for being hot. And to Rio Bravo for being absolutely incredible. Stagecoach ftw though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:40 am 

Peter Weir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Deeply ashamed to say I haven't seen any Von Sternberg. Going to have to get around to that.

Obviously I'm obsessed with Japanese cinema right now, particularly Ozu and Kurosawa, and over the past two days specifically Seven Samurai. It's just a perfect film, maybe my favorite even over Rules of the Game and It's a Wonderful Life. I plan to write a long form review of it before school starts.

Yes! I'm really glad you finally got in to Seven Samurai, Dreww. I knew you kind of liked it in the past, but what made you really love it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 pm 

Way into Nic Ray

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next