It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

fav
Arrested Development 41%  41%  [ 24 ]
The Office (UK) 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Weeds 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Office (US) 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
30 Rock 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Freaks and Geeks 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Sex and the City 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Will & Grace 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Friends 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Curb Your Enthusiasm 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Everybody Loves Raymond 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scrubs 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Desperate Housewives 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: best TV comedy of our generation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am 

who fucking cares, it's spongebob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm 

Monga's kids are going to grow up on Charlie Rose and Bill Moyers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm 

chicken sandwich wrote:
corrections wrote:
Why? There are clearly bad television programs (ones that are harmful to children). Children are subjected to more schlock than anyone because they are treated as always unready for anything serious.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Seriously? Spongebob is harmful to children? It's harmless entertainment aimed for stupid laughs, I remember when I was a kid I was watching Hey Arnold, Doug and Rugrats and while those are superior cartoons they gave me the same amount of entertainment value kids today get out of Spongebob and that's all that matters because they're children with embryonic minds. If a cartoon makes its target audience laugh and enjoy the show then it's a success, plain and simple regardless of what you cynical fuckers think.

ps: it's fucking spongebob you guys are arguing about here, you'd think you could put aside your narcissistic and overly critical views towards television shows aside for a cartoon that airs on nickelodean for gods sake. You should be spending your time bashing shitty shows like 2 broke girls instead.

Well I'll note that I'm not primarily referring to spongebob when I'm talking about clearly detrimental television programming but your standards on what childrens programming should be are shit. For example the Hobbit and the C.S. Lewis novels are Children's stories. Despite that they deal with difficult and real themes in ways that allow children to deal with them. Just aiming to make children laugh and succeeding should not be the standard of good. If it is then obviously adult comedy should be judged the same way and Two and a Half Men is your funniest show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:18 pm 

chicken sandwich wrote:
who fucking cares, it's spongebob

See you're the one who keeps confusing Chem and why the argument is hard to follow because you keep acting as if spongebob (or any other children's show) are beyond reproach because they're children's shows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 pm 

yes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:23 pm 

Which show should children be watching so they grow up appreciating finer arts and aren't requesting "the 30th season of Family Guy"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:38 pm 

if not limited to comedy, the animals of farthing wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:54 pm 

Hang wrote:
Which show should children be watching so they grow up appreciating finer arts and aren't requesting "the 30th season of Family Guy"?

Whatever Negative Creep didn't watch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:56 pm 

chicken sandwich wrote:
yes

And that attitude is insulting to children, juvenile, and the death of critical thought.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 pm 

monga18 wrote:
I think that comes close to an appalling disregard for the welfare of children

i know this is from a few pages back, but i find myself chuckling at how over-dramatic you are in nearly every conversation and this is a perfect example lol...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm 

It got your attention, didn't it?

Hang wrote:

Who said anything about finer arts? TV is a great art form with a critical flaw, in that the best shows often don't have enough viewers to stay commercially viable. As for good kids' shows I think you'd have to ask some kids or at least some parents. I'm in no way qualified to judge anything that's premiered in the last decade.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:43 am 

corrections wrote:
chicken sandwich wrote:
as long as children find the show funny then the shows considered a success, not matter what we think of it. I think Spongebob is stupid but the people the show is intended for think that it's hilarious so who am I to say otherwise.

Perhaps it is funny to 12 year olds and younger children. That still leaves me puzzled as to why people in their 20s would find it funny. Nor why anyone would cite it on a personal funniest list. To say it is a children's show is a copout. Children's shows can be funny to all audiences without being patronizing.

Yeah but Spongebob has a loyal adult following which isn't surprising considering the hefty amount of inneundo and just plain weirdness. It has cult show written all over it.

Personally I think Spongebob started out really damn good, the first three seasons were EXCELLENT. It was whimsical, silly but also clever. But after that it became more lowbrow and IMO the new episodes are nowhere near as entertaining as the old ones. It has jumped the shark for me. The show has taken a surprise turn into cruder and darker territory, and while that kinda humor has worked great for other kids shows it just doesn't quite gel with Spongebob.

I definitely don't think children's shows are beyond criticism. Just because your audience is children is no excuse to slack off. To say otherwise is insulting to children. There is some outstanding children's programing out there and the more shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and the fewer shows like Loonatics Unleashed the better.

I criticize children's shows I find to be of poor quality all the time. Spongebob didn't become popular for nothing, for a time it was the only worthwhile thing left on Nickelodeon.

Me, I'd take Ren & Stimpy or Rocko any day of the week. Those shows have aged pretty damn well. IMO Spongebob started out great, but it has overstayed it's welcome. But even in it's current state I argue that it's still a pretty decent cartoon. Not even close to being the worst thing out there.

If you want to discuss shitty waste of children's imaginations, we need to talk Johnny Test. That is without question the worst thing to ever get the green light for Cartoon Network.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
monga18 wrote:
As for good kids' shows I think you'd have to ask some kids or at least some parents. I'm in no way qualified to judge anything that's premiered in the last decade.

/discussion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:36 am 

Seriously we need to stop it before corrections makes this about crossbows.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next