It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

pick your fav
The Wire 32%  32%  [ 15 ]
The Sopranos 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Lost 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
The West Wing 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Battlestar Galactica 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mad Men 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
House, M.D. 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Dexter 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
The Shield 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Breaking Bad 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Six Feet Under 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Friday Night Lights 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Deadwood 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
24 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Re: best TV drama of our generation
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:48 am 

Yeah I thought Season 5 was one of the best - probably tied with S4 for me tho both are below S3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:09 am 

Machine Head wrote:
Yeah I thought Season 5 was one of the best - probably tied with S4 for me tho both are below S3

Well I wouldn't put it on par with 4 which is the best season of any TV show for me but it is on par with 1 and 3.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:34 am 

Friday Night Lights is awesome. starting season 4 now. love it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:31 pm 

I'm still in shock over Kyle Chandler winning his much-deserved Emmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm 

corrections wrote:

Eh I'd say Season 2 was the worst Wire season. Season 5 felt a bit rushed but I thought it had the shows strongest episode (the last one) and I thought it explored one of the most interesting aspects (the Media).

Season 2 grows immeasurably the second time round (I don't know how many times you've watched the series). At first the new cast and setting is a bit jarring after a season of getting to know all those charismatic gangsters in season 1, but in some ways it's the cleverest and subtlest of the Wire seasons. It also has the best use of music of the entire show.

Season 5 is great, but I just feel they jump the shark very slightly with the McNulty storyline. Not enough to spoil the show by any means, and in fact, it's almost comedic watching it all unfold, but it doesn't have quite the same power as previous seasons, so I'd definitely rank it last of the 5. I also think the media wasn't explored as well as earlier sections of society were in previous seasons - probably due to the 10 episode season - we just don't get attached to the new characters as well. I agree that the last episode (and the penultimate one, which may have been even better) were some of the entire show's best though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 am 

Yeah, I've said it before but the second last ep of season 5 may very well be my favourite from the entire series. But 5 is definitely my least favourite season.

4 > 3 > 1 = 2 > 5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 pm 

Georgi wrote:
corrections wrote:

Eh I'd say Season 2 was the worst Wire season. Season 5 felt a bit rushed but I thought it had the shows strongest episode (the last one) and I thought it explored one of the most interesting aspects (the Media).

Season 2 grows immeasurably the second time round (I don't know how many times you've watched the series). At first the new cast and setting is a bit jarring after a season of getting to know all those charismatic gangsters in season 1, but in some ways it's the cleverest and subtlest of the Wire seasons. It also has the best use of music of the entire show.

Season 5 is great, but I just feel they jump the shark very slightly with the McNulty storyline. Not enough to spoil the show by any means, and in fact, it's almost comedic watching it all unfold, but it doesn't have quite the same power as previous seasons, so I'd definitely rank it last of the 5. I also think the media wasn't explored as well as earlier sections of society were in previous seasons - probably due to the 10 episode season - we just don't get attached to the new characters as well. I agree that the last episode (and the penultimate one, which may have been even better) were some of the entire show's best though.

I've watched all the way through at least 3 times (and maybe 4). I'll agree that the McNulty story line is a bit shark jumpy but I think that was necessary to make their point about the ugly underbelly of the media (because otherwise Templeton doesn't work). I do still like 2 quite a bit. Sobatka and the docks stuff is great as is Vondopolis and the Greeks. I just feel some other aspects of the show are a bit weaker in that season. And yes that is a great bit of music use. I like the musical montage at the end a bit better but still great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm 

Two Headed Boy wrote:
Yeah, I've said it before but the second last ep of season 5 may very well be my favourite from the entire series. But 5 is definitely my least favourite season.

4 > 3 > 1 = 2 > 5

4 (best season of television)>>1>5>3>2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:52 am 

I would just like to say how sad I am to see House with more votes than Dexter. :banghead: :durr: :naughty: :boohoo: :butt: :nono: :ugh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:21 am 

jiraffejustin wrote:
I would just like to say how sad I am to see House with more votes than Deadwood

ftfy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:22 pm 

How the fuck does House have almost as many votes as The Sopranos? :ugh:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:15 pm 

I was stuck on Lost and The Sopranos, but I went with lost. In the long run, I got much more entertainment out of Lost, and was probably the best watch I've had for any television show. What's The Wire? I've read a little bit on the thread, but I haven't heard of it outside of DDD.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:27 pm 

European Son wrote:
I was stuck on Lost and The Sopranos, but I went with lost. In the long run, I got much more entertainment out of Lost, and was probably the best watch I've had for any television show. What's The Wire? I've read a little bit on the thread, but I haven't heard of it outside of DDD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire

how has anyone not heard of this it's 2012 goddamn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 pm 

jiraffejustin wrote:
I would just like to say how sad I am to see House with more votes than Dexter. :banghead: :durr: :naughty: :boohoo: :butt: :nono: :ugh:

Dexter is morally bankrupt. House is an entertaining, Holmes-inspired badassery. I for one am sick of people bashing House, particularly when they offer something like fucking Dexter as a superior option.

monga18 wrote:
jiraffejustin wrote:
I would just like to say how sad I am to see House with more votes than Deadwood

ftfy

Deadwood comes a close second. I went with House in the end because it's much more immediately accessible and entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:07 pm 

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/the-best ... html?imw=Y

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next