It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid film criticism
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 pm 

Elaborate the hilarity in this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:10 pm 

I actually don't have too much of a problem with the prequels, but his delivery and material is so sharp as far as standup comedy goes. It's a great talent when comics know how to react to their own jokes as if it were the first time they've thought of and said them.

I don't enjoy verbal criticism that leans to the humorous side too much, but that's mostly because I think the "critics" who do do it that way, can't deliver worth of shit. But when they can deliver well, like patton oswalt, it actually has a lot of entertainment value.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:13 pm 

Location: "do you see the perpetrator?" "yeah I'm right here."
Yeah I don't get your critique Vil. Oswalt's delivery is awesome. He admits up front that he's a geek. He does a great Lucas impression, he does a great geeking out fanboy impression, he nails exactly why the prequels were a bad idea, and illustrates it in everyday terms. It's well structured and well performed. It seems you don't like it just because it's prequel criticism.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 pm 

Vil wrote:

How is it not funny? You're getting all offended by people, in this case Patton Oswalt, criticizing the Star Wars prequels. They're three of the most poorly acted, directed and written films of the past 15 years and I just find it funny when someone defends them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm 

also change this thread to just "film criticism"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:44 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
I actually don't have too much of a problem with the prequels, but his delivery and material is so sharp as far as standup comedy goes. It's a great talent when comics know how to react to their own jokes as if it were the first time they've thought of and said them.

I don't enjoy verbal criticism that leans to the humorous side too much, but that's mostly because I think the "critics" who do do it that way, can't deliver worth of shit. But when they can deliver well, like patton oswalt, it actually has a lot of entertainment value.

I was actually referring to Brien's laughing emoticon, but yeah, I agree with your views on verbal criticism. In this age of the internet, way too many people are jumping on the train of making their own series of videos where they bash shit that's already been bashed to death and try to find a way to make it fresh. But, like you said, they can't deliver worth a shit and they don't stick out to you other than being some nobody who's joining tons of people that say "This sucks".

The Star Wars prequels are the ultimate example of simple disappointment turning into undeserved and stubborn hatred, where the people that first saw it decided to hate on the notion that it wasn't as good as they hoped, and it dripped off into the internet-blogging cinephile/geek culture we see today, and today it has become a monster. All I wish upon people is that they keep an open mind about what they're watching and not go in trying to cherry-pick every potential teeny-weeny flaw and blow it up to the point where it overlaps all the good that is in it.

Dreww wrote:
Yeah I don't get your critique Vil. Oswalt's delivery is awesome. He admits up front that he's a geek. He does a great Lucas impression, he does a great geeking out fanboy impression, he nails exactly why the prequels were a bad idea, and illustrates it in everyday terms. It's well structured and well performed. It seems you don't like it just because it's prequel criticism.

I'll admit that my liking (not loving, LIKING) of the prequels seeps through to my criticism, but having the guy rail on the entire goal and idea of a prequel comes of as being ridiculous. What else were we going to see in a prequel to Star Wars besides younger versions of pre-existing characters? I'd love to hear an idea that would be better than what they attempted.

Sodacake wrote:
Vil wrote:

How is it not funny? You're getting all offended by people, in this case Patton Oswalt, criticizing the Star Wars prequels. They're three of the most poorly acted, directed and written films of the past 15 years and I just find it funny when someone defends them.

Keep in mind that I don't think the prequels are perfect. Bad acting? Yeah, in some parts. Missed opportunities in the story? Yep, but only a few. Convoluted plots compared to those of the original trilogy? Yes, but only because Lucas was trying to expand on the universe he created with the senate and the Jedi Order, so naturally it's a bit offputting when next to the originals. The prequels were movies that weren't going to be perfect, but could still be enjoyed for what they are, and, like I said before, the disdain for them has grown to a sickening high.

Also, I've seen worse defenses of the prequels by Devoted with a capital 'D' Star Wars fans who believe that there aren't any flaws to speak of. Trust me, I'm not that bad.

Post subject: Re: Film criticism
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm 

The only redeeming quality of the prequels is Portman's skintight outfit in Attack of the Clones. Dat midriff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
It's a great talent when comics know how to react to their own jokes as if it were the first time they've thought of and said them.

Red Letter Media's Plinket is great at that, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

it's cool vil

by the way, andrew sarris died the other day, yeah dudes, you know the guy who had a big hand in glorifying directors (a huge part in my attachment to film as well as the majority of cinephiles), yep gone.

RIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:55 pm 

Vil wrote:
boo boo wrote:
Thankfully, Nostalgia Critic said he would never review The Phantom Menance or other Star Wars prequels.

Now if only the rest of TGWTG could agree to that, only replace Star Wars prequels with everything.

That still doesn't help the fact that Doug compares the various flaws of other films to The Phantom Menace on a rampant basis, providing him the opportunity to say "Jar Jar Binks is annoying and racist", "Jake Lloyd is the worst child actor of all time", "the story makes no sense", and, my favorite, "the podrace is annoying and boring", OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, like we haven't heard it once or 12,395 times before.

And don't get me started on how Spoony claims to have walked out of Phantom Menace, yet he reviews things that are a million times worse.

Yeah that's one reason Doug doesn't need to review it, and he couldn't be more wrong about the pod race, I know Phantom Menace has it's problems, but going after the fucking pod race scene is extreme nitpicking at it's worse, that was easily the highlight of the movie.

And not to mention it inspired a really good racing game for the Nintendo 64.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:04 pm 

That game was awesome. I used to play it all the time at arcades.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Sherick wrote:
corrections wrote:
Anyway most painful scene in any Harry Potter movie? Easily the sequence at the end of 6 where they all raise their wands up in the air lit after Dumbledore dies like they're at some fucking rock concert. Way to take one of the most emotionally compelling moments in the books and turn it into a cliched and crass piece of shit.

THANK YOU

Pales in comparison to the "NOOOOOOOOOOO" from Revenge of the Sith, though.

They're close but I'm inclined to say yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
corrections wrote:
I actually don't mind Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban.

As someone who read none of the books and watched all of the movies, I think that one is BY FAR the best of the series.

I've got another friend with the same perspective. I think the reason people got pissed about it is it definitely cut out a lot of book material but stepping to the side I thought it made a lot of sense in its own world and was very well told and acted (there were a few real annoyances but not many). Also straight up that is John Williams best score.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:29 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
And then, after a brilliant, dead on compare and contrast of the prequel lightsaber battles with the original trilogy lightsaber battles, we get another laugh out loud moment from 29:31 to 29:46.

Yeah it's awesome stuff. I think the Clones review is probably the best. The review for Sith probably has the best overall commentary on the prequels as a whole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm 

Vil wrote:
Being entertainingly insightful and funny.

You have a very irrational love for the prequels. The criticism in those reviews is dead on and its also quite funny (even if the sctick gets a tad old when the long diversions happen).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 29  Next