It is currently Wed May 27, 2015 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

who is more your style? (interpret this how you will)
joan fontaine 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
ingrid bergman 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
grace kelly 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
kim novak 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
eva marie saint 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
janet leigh 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
tippi hedren 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: women in hitchcock
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:58 am 

joan fontaine

ingrid bergman

grace kelly

kim novak

eva marie saint

janet leigh

tippi hedren

Post subject: Re: women in hitchcock
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:11 am 

Eva Marie Saint. She just had a real innocence about her that I gravitate towards. Grace Kelly did too and she was Hitch's fave, but she was almost too perfect and proper, where I couldn't relate in a down to earth kinda way. I like Ingrid too but she was everywhere with different directors, so I don't normally associate her with Hitch exclusively

He had similar taste in women to Ozu. Loved the proper good girl type. Abhorred the the explicit Marilyn Monroe types

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:29 am 

Ingrid Bergman is the closest to what gets my attention and intoxicates me about a woman irl. I agree that she doesn't have strong Hitchcock connotations though.

It almost can't be denied that Grace Kelly has the ideal face for a blonde woman. I'm usually not into that proper bombshell type but seriously I think she might be an incarnation of Aphrodite. To Catch a Thief is a worthless film that is only tolerable because she looks like a piece of human candy in every scene she's in.

Kim Novak in Vertigo is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. I do not get the appeal at all. And I guess that might be seen as the point, that Scottie just projects interestingness onto a totally boring woman.

With Janet Leigh the whole shower scene is shot as the most erotic thing in all of Hitchcock. In addition to the suggestive way it is framed and all, the crisp black and white photography really brings out the tactility of her presence in a very effective way that almost reminds me of how Claire Denis would shoot things if she tried to move the camera less. However it's impossible to enjoy the scene sexually because it's, well, basically a metaphorical rape among other things. It kind of sucks to think that the most effective portrayal of her youthful beauty will always be mixed up in a kind of cinematic violation.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:07 am 

I honestly don't get the appeal of Grace Kelly.

I voted for Joan Fontaine because I thought she might get less votes, but she is close in my heart to Ingrid Bergman, althought both are very different. Bergman has a softer, rounder, almost more juvenile face.

I always consider short hair less nice than long hair, so no Janet Leigh in Psycho. Janet Leigh in A Touch of Evil, now that's something else entirely.

Eva Maria Saint has an ugly voice, and I don't find her innocent at all.

Kim Novak is boring. Tippi Hedren I haven't seen Marnie, only The Birds, as was kind of overwhelmed by the film itself.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:26 am 

Don-Alexei wrote:
I honestly don't get the appeal of Grace Kelly.

Wow. The appeal is that she's stunningly gorgeous. I'll vote for Grace (Rear Window Grace in particular) with Janet Leigh as first runner-up. The Perfect Furlough is where Leigh's at her hottest, imo, though. I suspect her breasts were perfection, given what I've seen of her daughter's (Jamie Lee Curtis in Trading Places). Eva Marie Saint for second runner-up. She's a minx. Probably the least innocent of the bunch.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 am 

Regarding Grace Kelly yes I know it's odd. Maybe she's too perfect or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:42 pm 

In Hitch, Janet Leigh for sure.

Grace Kelly is beautiful as hell and I totally get the appeal. Couldn't say the same for Kim Novak. Like Drew, I find her very very boring in Vertigo and not beautiful at all, but it doesn't take an inch away from how amazing that movie is imo.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 pm 

Ingrid for me. *growl*

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 pm 

It's hard to top Ingrid in terms of everything. Also Notorious might be my favorite Hitchcock. At least I think it was the last time I watched a bunch of his films, years ago. I need to rewatch; summer seems like a good time for Hitchcock.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:24 pm 

Yes. Most Hitch is essential. Drew likes it deep inside.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 pm 

:/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 am 

Speaking of Hitchcock women, I'm also hugely attracted to Margaret Lockwood in The Lady Vanishes.