It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 615  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last Film You Saw And Rate It
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 pm 

i've yet to see the hole for some reason, but tsai-ming liang till i die. What Time is it There? and Goodbye Dragon-Inn are contemporary masterworks, with the wayward cloud probably my favorite modern musical (tho i can't remember much in this category).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm 

now i'm wishing i didn't leave a lot of my movies in a box 2000 miles away

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:50 am 

Rebels of the Neon God is amazing. Very cool how Rebel Without a Cause is kinda looming underneath the surface of that movie all the time and occasionally peeks back at you.

Looking forward to more Ming-liang Tsai over the next few weeks. Will also try and watch more Koreeda, Zhangke and Hsiao-Hsien. Those guys are for life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm 

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
8.4/10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:13 pm 

The House of the Devil (West, 2009)

Goes to show you just how important narrative is when it comes to the horror genre. The common tropes that we constantly see are not the problem, all of the same stuff since the beginning of time still work, it’s just how they’re presented that will determine just how effective they are. Eerie soundtracks, audio shocks, shadowy lighting, chases, big ole knives, keep all that shit. The western isn’t going to get rid of horses and showdowns, and no one has a problem with that and neither should they for horror.

For 2/3 of the film you’re put on a slow dripping edge, and it’s a joy to see something take its time and provide a narrative that withholds and seeps out information so patiently. That in turn makes what’s supposed to seem more suspenseful (provided by the disclaimer in the very beginning), seem more surprising as it progresses. It’s not pleasant blue balls all the way though, the final act thankfully busts a fucking load on you. My only criticism is that it gets pretty clunky in exposition at the very end because of the truncation of all the action into the third act. I personally would have ended it where it should have been ended at. And what I like about the time its set in, is that it’s not aesthetically, but logically motivated from the mindset of that era so that the story can ultimately work.

It’s a fine American horror film of this century (be grateful there’s not too many ).

Also I wish the lead was my girlfriend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:42 pm 

I heard that's a good one. The Innkeepers by Ti West is also supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 am 

corrections wrote:
boo boo wrote:
I remembering having a really weird argument with Troy Ponce over the science of The Wizard of Oz.

He basically said he couldn't enjoy the film because if water made witches melt there's no way they could survive due to the water vapor in the atmosphere, I told him how ridiculous I thought it was to be overly concerned with the scientific accuracy of a fantasy film, and he then proceeded to provide scientific explanations for everything else in the movie.

Especially given that you know it's a dream.

But the slippers, dude.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
pgm wrote:
corrections wrote:
boo boo wrote:
I remembering having a really weird argument with Troy Ponce over the science of The Wizard of Oz.

He basically said he couldn't enjoy the film because if water made witches melt there's no way they could survive due to the water vapor in the atmosphere, I told him how ridiculous I thought it was to be overly concerned with the scientific accuracy of a fantasy film, and he then proceeded to provide scientific explanations for everything else in the movie.

But the slippers, dude.
Shoooooooooooooooooooes...but...TALKING lions...that would be hard to reconcile with reality.

“I shall pray for your soul,” promised Nessarose.
“I shall wait for your shoes,” Elphie answered.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” --AD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:43 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Does anybody know what just happened?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am 

Things To Come is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

Krym wrote:
Shoooooooooooooooooooes...but...TALKING lions...that would be hard to reconcile with reality.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” --AD

Nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 pm 

My Dinner With Andre was pretty cool. Great performances by both guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:42 am 

Krym wrote:
pgm wrote:
corrections wrote:
boo boo wrote:

But the slippers, dude.

I've always very much liked that quote.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:45 am 

Batman Begins
9.3/10

The Dark Knight
9.7/10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 am 

The Dark Knight ''definitely'' Rises!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 615  Next