DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 586  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last Film You Saw And Rate It
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:21 am 

Cruz wrote:
(2) [[The albino alien dude, who was bent on flying to earth and destroying its inhabitants, decided that before he carried out his mission, he should... Take a nap in a hyper-sleep chamber? Wtf sense does that make?]]

1. The rest of his mates were killed, obviously from an outbreak. Maybe they were prepping for launch to earth when it happened and he was simply the first to go into hyper sleep, while the others perished in the ship?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:50 am 

beyonddeities wrote:
Prometheus - 8/10 (who the fuck is Logan Marshall-Green? THAT IS TOM HARDY. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON -- in the credits they call him Logan, even on IMDB)

My review is going to be in white because it's so full of spoilers. It's also going to be very long...
beyonddeities wrote:
Why did David infect the Doctor? What are the hostile alien species doing on the planet? These are the questions I thought would be clearly answered in the latter part of the film.

1. I thought they answered why the hostile aliens were on the planet. They picked a planet far away from their home world where they could engineer the xenomorph in its first stage. As I mentioned earlier, you see the xenomorph on a hieroglyphic. The new xenomorph that we see in the final scene was full grown and clearly different from the ones that we have seen in previous films. In my opinion, their reason for creating humans was obvious; They used us to create powerful xenomorphs that were similar to them in DNA without having to sacrifice their own kind in the process. That's my take on it anyway. Then maybe they decided to wipe us out after we served our purpose.

beyonddeities wrote:
The film did something stupid. The last arc was full of gaping holes and seemed to distract from the questions, overall theme and emotional journey of the characters. It overloaded. Instead of delving into the terror the passengers of the ship would experience, it just kept adding: the old guy in charge is revealed to be on the ship the entire time, weird relationship moments between a goblin-esque Guy Pearce and his blondebots, a live alien in a pod that turns out to be evil, alien vs alien showdown... No no no no. The emotional reaction was forgotten save for Elizabeth and it was just a complete mess.

2. Yep. I agree with you that they should not have showed a live Engineer. The fossilized head and hologram images would have been more than enough to keep it interesting and ambiguous. The latter half of the film got a little too Hollywood for me.

beyonddeities wrote:
The 'hopeful' ending, in my opinion, ruined it. At first I thought it was cool, but on deeper inspection its as if the character is literally flying away from the actual plot.

3. Yeah, now we have to assume that the next installment will be an adventure to the engineers home world. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 am 

Preeetty much

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:26 am 

Basically, if I had walked out halfway through Prometheus I would have been more satisfied than I had been at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:49 am 

Oh Christ, I read that a Lost writer helped with the script. This explains a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 am 

I thought Prometheus was just awful

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:04 pm 

Cruz wrote:
So I just got back from seeing Prometheus. Some elements of the movie I liked a lot. Idris Elba was great. David was maybe the most interesting character I've seen in a movie since There Will Be Blood. Overall the tension was built skillfully and the horror that Shaw felt was palpable.

But I have three major problems with the film (one of which is more of a quibble, I guess):
(1) [[Why didn't Charlize Theron just run to the fucking side when the alien ship was rolling at her and Shaw? 10 lateral steps and she would've been fine.]]
(2) [[The albino alien dude, who was bent on flying to earth and destroying its inhabitants, decided that before he carried out his mission, he should... Take a nap in a hyper-sleep chamber? Wtf sense does that make?]]
(3) [[The theories that the scientists had were never really questioned. Like it was called BS a few times, but everyone still went along with them. The most glaring example of this extremely irritating flaw was that they just assumed that these aliens created humans. Was there ever even a shred of evidence that this was true? Humans were shown worshiping them. Our DNA was the same. But what would lead any of them to think that they created us?]]

Anyway, 3 out of 4 Stars. Very tense and entertaining movie with some annoying flaws.

1) yeah haha i was thinking "move laterally bitch wtf" the whole time

2) someone has to put you into and wake you up from the hypersleep chamber. he had entered his before the 2 year journey to earth right before a mutiny or whatever it was that killed everyone else, so he survived being concealed in his chamber, but then there was no one left to wake him up. so when he did wake up he probably couldn't even distinguish between two and 2000 years.

3) that was poorly written. i think the trip could be justified without the "creator" reasoning, by just arguing if different ancient civilizations with no contact all worshipped a constellation that's not visible from earth but from an earth-like planet far away then that planet may have some clue or intelligent life with information about the origin of human dna, even if it's not involving a maker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 pm 

pink wrote:
Jess wrote:
pink wrote:
Prometheus – Very entertaining film. That scene at the end was unnecessary and excessive but I really liked how everything else played out.

with the one thing coming out of the other thing right before credits? i thought that was fine. it completes the backwards alien arc and is a wink wink moment to everyone who thought it was an alien prequel all the time while he said it wasn't. it was just sort of funny and an "oooooh" moment for me. time to rewatch alien.

But you didn't need that scene to know any of that. There was a xenomorph hieroglyphic on the wall in the cavern and the life forms that they encounter have the same properties as the ones in Alien, that is acid for blood and they impregnate people orally. Now that I have thought about it for a day I think I was more displeased with the pacing of the film than anything else, as you were.

have you seen the alien films a lot? i made those connections you did, but having not seen them more than once i felt like the final connection was necessary to confirm the more indirect hints for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:12 pm 

Prometheus felt like Ridley Scott, after filming the first half of the movie, just said "fuck it, why wait for the sequel? just get James Cameron to finish this one instead."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:36 pm 

I just saw 12 Angry Men. I found it quite entertaining and mesmerizing in many ways. It kept me really concentrated throughout the whole film and its basically shot in only 1 room, and that is really a very big issue and it's a thing not many movies accomplish with me. The bad things about the movie are that as soon as it starts you know how it's going to end. What keeps you really waiting the whole movie is that you're just absolutely curious about what will happen in the films 96 minutes to actually lead to that ending. The characters are great, too. Another bad thing is that I didn't really buy the ending, it has some major flaws in the script if you really think about it and the whole outcome is a contradiction to the character and personality of Juror No. 8. It makes a great movie though, during the time you're watching it, but as soon as you think about it a bit more deeply, it feels like the film could have been a bit more solid and that just prevents me from giving it a better rating. Anyways, I'm not really into black&white movies that are so old and I usually get bored, but that didn't happen in any moment and that is good.

Rating: 8.5/10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 pm 

pave wrote:
Prometheus felt like Ridley Scott, after filming the first half of the movie, just said "fuck it, why wait for the sequel? just get James Cameron to finish this one instead."

Nice idea but very few films are filmed in sequence.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:15 pm 

I think he knows that Ahawk.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:01 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Try the Ultimate Cut.

The Ultimate Cut is definitely not the best cut. Way too much bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm 

beyonddeities wrote:
Jess wrote:
beyonddeities wrote:
Prometheus - 8/10 (who the fuck is Logan Marshall-Green? THAT IS TOM HARDY. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON -- in the credits they call him Logan, even on IMDB)

My review is going to be in white because it's so full of spoilers. It's also going to be very long...

Everything was going smoothly, even beautifully at times... until Elizabeth Shaw stumbles onto that old guy. GODDAMNIT.
As a huge fan of the Alien series (Ressurection did not happen) I have been looking forward to this movie for a while now.
The beginning --- huge, gorgeous sweeping shots of the planet's scenery (to be pedantic, I would have slowed these down, and taken my time with each shot. I felt the cuts were too quick. Letting the audience sink into the atmosphere is important). I think more effort could have been put in to clarify the ship's mission and intent, but I let that pass by. By the time Prometheus had landed and was exploring, I was thoroughly enjoying this film. The homages to Alien and Blade Runner were many but well appreciated (the hyper-sleep pods, the mucus David discovers on the hieroglyphics etc). H R Giger clearly had gone all out because the designs were magnificent, dark and haunting. The collective state of emotions was flowing well, the actors were enjoying their characters (particularly Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender) and the questions the movie posed were genuinely intriguing. Not to mention the consistently stunning cinematography, heightened considerably in 3D.
Why did David infect the Doctor? What are the hostile alien species doing on the planet? These are the questions I thought would be clearly answered in the latter part of the film. That's how they were set up, anyway. The caesarian scene was absolutely blood-curling. As a woman it made me feel even more nauseous. 100% terrifying. From just this scene the film established, in my eyes, that it was now descending into horror--which, imo was the most appropriate route.
But... but.... it did not go that way. The film did something stupid. The last arc was full of gaping holes and seemed to distract from the questions, overall theme and emotional journey of the characters. It overloaded. Instead of delving into the terror the passengers of the ship would experience, it just kept adding: the old guy in charge is revealed to be on the ship the entire time, weird relationship moments between a goblin-esque Guy Pearce and his blondebots, a live alien in a pod that turns out to be evil, alien vs alien showdown... No no no no. The emotional reaction was forgotten save for Elizabeth and it was just a complete mess.

In my opinion, a movie should not NEED a sequel. Movies that are magic in my eyes are ones that tie all their own knots and are satisfying as an isolated piece. You did not need to see Aliens to enjoy Alien. It is a finished package.
What Should Have Happened According To Nina:

Scotts' strong lead heroine is clearly running into the same evil Ripley does. What seemed to be coming together in the film was the creation of the Alien. With Tom Hardy's infection and the spawn inside Elizabeth and the white worms that killed the geologist and his skeptic pal, there are clearly enough ingredients here. What would have made sense is Elizabeth, like Ripley, against the Alien. In fact ending on a chestburster scene after the "this is the last survivor" line would have been appropriate. Good films know how to be vague--and I think the decision to make the albino alien men evil was silly---keep it a mystery. The Nostromo receives a distress signal, which well could have been Elizabeth using the alien technology to reach out with the help of David. I think once the film turned dark, it should have kept getting darker and more suspenseful instead of laying on the CGI, until the bitter end. I think Prometheus crashing into the alien ship was premature and didn't quite make sense---it could have happened closer to the end, or not at all. In fact another idea would have had everyone dying on Prometheus, with David and Elizabeth escaping to the alien ship and crashing due to the chestbursters, instead of a ship crashing into another ship. The 'hopeful' ending, in my opinion, ruined it. At first I thought it was cool, but on deeper inspection its as if the character is literally flying away from the actual plot.

So yeah. Amazing amazing amazing and then wtf.

i agree with what you said about the first parts of the movie, but not when you think it went off track. my problems with it aren't about what unfolded but about how smoothly it did and how well it was executed. i thought what happened made sense. it seems like you wanted it to be more like alien than it was. i don't think it was meant to be like alien. it's thematic scope was much larger and more ambitious. (but i haven't seen alien in a while.)

it's not that the alien men are evil, it's that they are indifferent to earth people, or that earth people aren't special in the universe. their mission that went awry thousands of years ago was to exterminate earth, and when reawakened he reengaged in the mission. it turns everyone's ideas of some enlightening origin of life on its head, because what they found was actually a dormant extermination of their lives. their discovery bit them in the ass, which, in a nutshell, is what prometheus often symbolizes: scientific ambition or lust for knowledge and enlightenment that has adverse consequences (frankenstein).

i think david infected holloway to make a "you made me, i destroy you, how backwards is that?" kind of statement, like the discovery they made on the planet: not an origin of life or reason for creation but only death.

the ship prometheus crashed into the alien ship because it was a symbol of prometheus sacrificing for man. i'm not sure how it else it could have been done. prometheus made made man from clay, brought us fire, but was doomed to eternal torment by zeus. the ship sacrificed itself to keep man alive on earth. the mythic prometheus is the beginning of life and technology, but the ship prometheus sustained it.

the movie means to frame those questions you asked more than answer them. answering them would just be satisfying a narrative without saying much, but framing them in a cosmic perspective makes us question why we ask those questions in the first place, as the questions they had turned out to be totally misguided, finding that life on earth is just a subset of sentient life in the galaxy, and our intellectual agenda make no difference to life elsewhere. what we thought would supply us with answers will actually destroy us.

the ending doesn't necessarily imply a sequel. it demonstrates shaw's unbroken faith. despite everything, it's, "what she chooses to believe," that the answers she wants can be found. that's why i didn't expect tangible answers to those intriguing questions. it would be a desirable, but detrimental payoff. haha, that curiosity the movie leaves you with is just like the curiosity of the team in the movie. i wonder if that effect on the audience was intended, to show how relentless we are in our quests for tangible answers and tightly bound narratives. it does parallel theology when you think about it.

This is the crux that I don't agree with. Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 follow this movie. The planet, company that owns the spacecraft and head of the company are consistent in all of these movies. In fact, another plot hole: in the other films it is said the company had never explored the alien planet, when in Prometheus the company is fully involved/funding the mission. Those ontological/cosmic questions you are talking about would still be present and within the film's fabric even if they had actually finished basic plot points. As a film I feel it went far too broad and answered far too little. As you say, the pacing and focusing of certain characters was off so emotional satisfaction went awry. I think you're getting too philosophical about it---I'm judging it as a story and a film rather than a debate on our species' spiritual purpose. The questions and sense of wonder and curiosity I felt were asked at the start, and I felt the end ultimately distracts from them rather than fuels them... Idk. I felt a more brutal end would have done the job, but they made it all whimsical and cheerful.

Just a movie I guess! Ho ho ho.

Haven't seen Prometheus yet but one thing I will say is that it leaves it pretty ambiguous. It's said that they never explored it but Mother in Alien seems to know their is something special on the planet (more than just a distress beacon). It's suggested the Company knew what was out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:05 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
corrections wrote:
Sherick wrote:
Try the Ultimate Cut.

The Ultimate Cut is definitely not the best cut. Way too much bullshit.

I know, I was teasing him because of the length :razz: Ultimate Cut is over 3 hours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 586  Next