DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 571  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last Film You Saw And Rate It
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 am 

It rivals Drive for me. Might even prefer it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am 

Yeah same here.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

Whichever one of you it was that told me I would love The Player was right.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 pm 

I say that to a lot of people. Adore The Player.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:46 pm 

Yeah, fantastic film.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 pm 

I just LOVE the "Movies are art" speech. Cause you know Altman means it, but not the character (or at least he doesn't grasp what it really means)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm 

Yeah, he was definitely just pandering to the crowd. Also, Lyle Lovett is an ugly motherfucker. It really needs to be said.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 am 

Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
It rivals Drive for me. Might even prefer it.

i definitely prefer it to drive. magnificent use of colour and tone in that film.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:14 pm 

The Avengers I thought was fairly solid. The biggest strength and why it succeeds I think, is because it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm no nerd, far from it (I'm an athlete), but from what I can guess from its source material is that The Avengers should be treated as a kind of fun spin off from its more serious and focused comic book franchises (superman, batman, etc). So it is that wit that is really stringing you along for the 2 1/2 hours and helps to undermine any potentially excruciating dips into profundity that most SRS comic book movies embarrass themselves by doing. Which is why the best parts for me were anything that had to do with Tony Starks (and imo Iron Man being the best out of these movies), where RDJ's star persona helps to keep the entertainment up throughout. Even more daring and all the more successful for it, is the treatment of Loki at the end, which sums up what the film was ultimately getting at tone wise. Love how the bit at the end turns the banality of a one on one good guy/bad guy showdown we see these movies go to time and time again and literally in seconds hulksmashes it to hilarious oblivion. Saying all that though, it still comes with its flaws in doing this. Because of the light treatment here, nothing feels like it's really on the line, it lacks any sort of dramatic push in augmenting any tension in the action scenes. Instead we get the worst aspect of these kinds of films that keeps me away from them, which I like to call S.H.O.S, aka Shit Happening On Screen, where a lot of Starks level dough is spent to make spectacle for the audience, only to feel like runtime filler for me.

I probably wouldn't watch it again cuz I got what I needed and it would seem like a chore to go through it again, but some sequences and banter kept me going the first go around.

And on another note: Scarlett Johansson's ass is sublime

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:18 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
The Avengers I thought was fairly solid. The biggest strength and why it succeeds I think, is because it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm no nerd, far from it (I'm an athlete), but from what I can guess from its source material is that The Avengers should be treated as a kind of fun spin off from its more serious and focused comic book franchises (superman, batman, etc). So it is that wit that is really stringing you along for the 2 1/2 hours and helps to undermine any potentially excruciating dips into profundity that most SRS comic book movies embarrass themselves by doing. Which is why the best parts for me were anything that had to do with Tony Starks (and imo Iron Man being the best out of these movies), where RDJ's star persona helps to keep the entertainment up throughout. Even more daring and all the more successful for it, is the treatment of Loki at the end, which sums up what the film was ultimately getting at tone wise. Love how the bit at the end turns the banality of a one on one good guy/bad guy showdown we see these movies go to time and time again and literally in seconds hulksmashes it to hilarious oblivion. Saying all that though, it still comes with its flaws in doing this. Because of the light treatment here, nothing feels like it's really on the line, it lacks any sort of dramatic push in augmenting any tension in the action scenes. Instead we get the worst aspect of these kinds of films that keeps me away from them, which I like to call S.H.O.S, aka Shit Happening On Screen, where a lot of Starks level dough is spent to make spectacle for the audience, only to feel like runtime filler for me.

I probably wouldn't watch it again cuz I got what I needed and it would seem like a chore to go through it again, but some sequences and banter kept me going the first go around.

And on another note: Scarlett Johansson's ass is sublime

God yes especially with the tight pants clearly revealing the thong underneath. That officer chick also had a real nice ass. Anyway I think you're wrong on the long battle sequence. I think it was so differently shot from the typical action sequences that tension was created despite the fact that you know none of the characters will die.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:25 pm 

Unfortunately it ain't real :ugh:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:33 pm 

Oh I'll admit that they were shot much better than your average Transformers type affair. I mean I could actually kinda see the action sequences this time. But I still feel they weren't emotionally invested enough for me to feel any kind of tension that I'm supposed to be feeling. It's only until Iron Man is threatened at the end that we get somewhere in that territory of is he or isn't he. And I'm a very in the moment viewer of any movie, even in predictable hollywood outcomings, I am outcome-blind to it all, yet for the most part I still was looking at my phone's clock during most of the action sequences.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 pm 

beyonddeities wrote:

source? I've seen those f'real nude pics, her ass is incredible

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm 

I really want to develop a new kind of action sequence, like really up close and personal but not necessarily like the bourne ultimatum style, maybe more to the camera and you really see the damage as it happens. Idk, thinking out loud...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
beyonddeities wrote:

source? I've seen those f'real nude pics, her ass is incredible

no doubt but they made her ass ghetto. idk common sense? they do that for all movies man, costume department puts in a bit of extra padding for boost, or at least the material is made so its thicker across the rear and chest. BUT on the chance I'm wrong, woohoo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 571  Next