DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8382 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 559  Next
 Post subject: Last Film You Saw And Rate It
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:20 am 

I hope some users (esp. Dreww) save their reviews.

Post subject: Re: Last Film You Saw And Rate It
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 am 

Two film studies majors at my school host a show where they go through the 2007 version of the AFI's greatest films list. The main host Drew Young stepped out for a few weeks so they asked me to step in. Here's the first one I'm on, recorded like two weeks ago, with me and Caleb talking about Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show. Prepare to be assaulted with my poindexter voice:
---

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:45 am 

:D omg what a cool show to be on! Respect to hearing you talk drew, droppin the knowledge. Caleb is a great film communicator as well, good radio voice that guy.

also drew with the accent ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:47 am 

What does my accent even come across as? I have no idea. Does it sound southern?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 am 

Yeah Southern, and for some reason very deeply southern sounding like Alabama region for sure. Which is odd since you came from Missouri. It's not a thick accent, but you can still hear it.

But yeah man, fuck the other drew, new permanent replacement with the real drew plz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:57 am 

I don't want to sound like I'm from Alabama. :cry:

Glad you enjoyed the show though.

The shows for Pulp Fiction and The French Connection have been recorded but not released yet. I'll post them when they are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:31 am 

Baraka: 9 out of 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am 

why did you attach the jpeg instead of putting it around image tags?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:52 am 

Because he's a rampant idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:57 am 

There were a few things about The Social Network that I wanted to talk about in more detail, as well as just defending it against some. But with the exception of talking about the sexism charges, I really just focused on what I keep seeing in the movie in the hopes of better explaining my position. So here's a second, VERY spoiler-heavy review.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm 

Great analysis. For me these sorts of pure narrative/character/structural analyses usually don't lead me to actually enjoy the film more as a thing to be watched, but it does help me to respect it more and not dismiss it so quickly, as I am wont to do even with the Hollywood films I most enjoy.

Does anyone know whether the music that plays during the decadent party at the beginning is part of the score or a pop song? Whatever the case, for me that's the most viscerally resonant part of the movie--the camera's slow move down the aisle of the bus, the distorted kick as it pulls up to the exploitative frat, and cross cutting this in-between programming the misogynistic website is a great irony worthy of the baptism/executions in The Godfather, if not quite subtle. For me that sequence is pure cinema, with no small help from the music.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:03 pm 

Machete- 3.5/10

Worst movie of the year? It's either that or Piranha, but at least Piranha was unintentionally funny in a snakes on a plane sorta way.

There's an occasional funny moment, but the 2 minute clip that was played after Planet Terror was just as good if not better. Not for the time given, just period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 pm 

omg drew, u so cute!! <3

well done, anyway. i haven't seen the movie, so the review didn't make much sense to me, it was just interesting to hear you talk and be opinionated/awesome irl.

btw i don't know what it is, but probably a combination of your accent and your timbre, but you sound like woody allen, in his more serious/composed moments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:48 pm 

yeah drew you're the southern woody allen, just not as neurotic...i think

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Does anyone know whether the music that plays during the decadent party at the beginning is part of the score or a pop song? Whatever the case, for me that's the most viscerally resonant part of the movie--the camera's slow move down the aisle of the bus, the distorted kick as it pulls up to the exploitative frat, and cross cutting this in-between programming the misogynistic website is a great irony worthy of the baptism/executions in The Godfather, if not quite subtle. For me that sequence is pure cinema, with no small help from the music.

That's part of the score. Reznor and Ross actually got to score as it was being cut, so they never ended up writing anything that wasn't used or had to be recycled because stuff was added back in (there's a reprise of the opening credits music but it has alterations and was clearly rewritten). That might also be my favorite part of the soundtrack, even above the Kubrickian take on Hall of the Mountain King.

I'm also thrilled that you have a Southern accent. It makes me less embarrassed of the one I've buried into a neutral whine (I guess that's what happens when you try to kill it, because Rosenbaum has a whine of his own to sound non-Southern).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8382 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 559  Next