DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:31 pm 

I'm so happy that BBC America is showing Doctor Who episodes the same day as in the UK now. Now I only have to avoid Doctor Who websites for a few hours as opposed to a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:08 pm 

which websites do you frequent ryan? Any forums too? I might wanna immerse myself in this show/culture already

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:23 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
which websites do you frequent ryan? Any forums too? I might wanna immerse myself in this show/culture already

Like most TV shows, Doctor Who has a pretty nifty Wiki, The Tardis Index File. Personally, I liked it better when it was a bit more simple in design, but its still the go-to resource for Doctor Who related stuff.

The TV Tropes coverage of Doctor Who is pretty extensive. I think by now it has every subpage TV Tropes offers, including episode/serial overviews and a complete character-specific tropes page.

Anyway Wanta, where are you now in Revival Season 2? If you're still around "The Idiot's Lantern", you have both some mediocre and excellent episodes in your future throughout the rest of season 2 and season 3, including one of the best episodes in the near 50-year history of the franchise ("Blink").

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:50 am 

right now i just finished the 2 split episode with the black hole, and "The Satan Pit" was one of the best episodes yet that I have seen. It reached really poetic moments, particularly that beautiful sequence where the doctor drops himself in the pit on purpose, the way he says goodbye may have been the most touching I've seen David Tennant reach, along with the backdrop of pure darkness, man that shit took my breath away. Also the way each character were put in situations to go above and beyond their limitations whether they succeeded or failed made the story so engaging, they did a good job of developing the other minor characters. Seriously though, I'm not sure if that episode is lauded in whovian circles, but it's arguably my favorite episode of season 2, thus far of course. I guess they have one-off writers sometimes as the writer of that split only wrote for that one, too bad, he seems pretty talented.

gah it's so great when this show realizes how deep it can actually go and still maintain its zany nerd appeal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:27 am 

I like "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit", Its probably in my Top 20 episodes from the revival.

Also, last night's Series 6/Series 32 premiere was great. I can't wait to see how they resolve it next week, the story seems huge and involved.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:33 pm 

piper wrote:
"The Idiot's Lantern" felt as if they needed another "Historic Earth" episode for this season and just wrote one really quickly.

And the idea that the Doctor could build a VCR and VHS tape in, what, ten minutes? Ludicrous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:40 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
Seriously though, I'm not sure if that episode is lauded in whovian circles, but it's arguably my favorite episode of season 2, thus far of course.

Yeah, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit are among the best episodes of the revival.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:42 pm 

piper wrote:
Also, last night's Series 6/Series 32 premiere was great. I can't wait to see how they resolve it next week, the story seems huge and involved.

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that the main mystery of that first episode may not be resolved until the season finale. But, WOW, am I thrilled with that season premier.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:28 pm 

Also, I should post this here for Wanta's sake/Clash's interest

My top 15 episodes from the revival
1. Blink
2. Midnight
3. The Girl in the Fireplace
4. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
5. Utopia/The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Time Lords
6. 42
7. The Eleventh Hour
8. Dalek
9. Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead
10. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
11. Human Nature/The Family of Blood
12. The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
13. Planet of the Dead
14. The Lodger
15. Turn Left

I haven't seen any classic Who in a while, so I can only really make a Top 5 serials list
1. City of Death (4th)
2. Genesis of the Daleks (4th)
3. The Pirate Planet (4th)
4. Mawdryn Undead (5th)
5. Earthshock (5th)

Speaking of the classic serials, why is BBC America not showing them? They'd get great ratings, are probably cheap to run and are far more British than "The X-Files" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation". "Blake's 7", "Red Dwarf" and "Space: 1999" are others.

Last edited by Ryan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:10 pm 

piper wrote:
Also, I should post this here for Wanta's sake/Clash's interest

My top 15 episodes from the revival
1. Blink
2. Midnight
3. The Girl in the Fireplace
4. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
5. Utopia/The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Time Lords
6. 42
7. The Eleventh Hour
8. Dalek
9. Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead
10. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
11. Human Nature/The Family of Blood
12. The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
13. Planet of the Dead
14. The Lodger
15. Turn Left

I'd swap out "Planet of the Dead", "The Lodger", "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit" and "42" for "Waters of Mars", "The End of Time", "The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang" and "Army of Ghosts/Doomsday", so we agree on eleven of the top fifteen.

piper wrote:
Speaking of the classic serials, why is BBC America not showing them? They'd get great ratings, are probably cheap to run and are far more British than "The X-Files" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation". "Blake's 7", "Red Dwarf" and "Space: 1999" are others.

Red Dwarf is hilarious. I'm not sure classic Doctor Who would get great ratings, really, since the production values look archaic today.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 pm 

Alright, piper, explain to me what happens in the gap between episode one and two of the current season. How is the Doctor captured? Why is he captured? How is it that he sits there in captivity for three months when he has the President of the United States on his side? Is it just me, or is Moffat doing a terrible job connecting the dots of his labyrinth plots?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 pm 

I should rewatch the revival series.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 am 

Love & Monsters- this was simultaneously the strangest, stupidest, most human, underrated, bad, pointless, heart-warming episode i have seen yet. Its inconsistencies were ridiculous, but gave it a kind of irresistible charm. An abrupt hard left turn from the series that totally doesn't work within the sequence of the series, but somehow is able to stand tall on its own two unusual left feet. What the..was that fat bastard? lol

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:06 pm 

"Doctor Lite" episodes (there was one in all three Tennant seasons) were made because they would film multiple episodes at the same time and Tennant and/or Bille Piper/Freema Agyeman/Catherine Tate were unavailible. "Love and Monsters" is the weakest of the bunch, but the other two ("Blink" and "Turn Left") are among the best episodes of the show's nearly 50 year history.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:06 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
Love & Monsters- this was simultaneously the strangest, stupidest, most human, underrated, bad, pointless, heart-warming episode i have seen yet. Its inconsistencies were ridiculous, but gave it a kind of irresistible charm. An abrupt hard left turn from the series that totally doesn't work within the sequence of the series, but somehow is able to stand tall on its own two unusual left feet. What the..was that fat bastard? lol

I'm glad to read this from you, as I also think this is a charming episode despite its flaws.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next