All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What do you like better
Venture Brothers 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Archer 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Only seen one or neither/no opinion 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Venture Bros. vs Archer
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:52 pm 

This might be a terrible poll but I've just discovered VB and I'm curious how ddd thinks it stacks up

Post subject: Re: Venture Bros. vs Archer
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 pm 

I added option 3 and I think I lost a vote, might have been Sherick's. Sorry

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 am 

Venture Bros unquestionably. One of the smartest, funniest and referential, without drawing attention to, shows there is. A contender for best cartoon, though The Simpsons has it beat when it comes to heart

Archer's good though

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 am 
Master of the Universe 2008

Yeah, Archer is good, but Venture Brothers is the type of show that keeps my attention after over a decade and only 5 seasons. It is the type of show that I wait long periods for new episodes to come out.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:08 am 

Considered voting 'no opinion', but ended up voting VB. Those are probably my top 2 animated shows, but while I do see some obvious similarities between them, VB develops its characters like only few character-based dramas manage to do. I've rarely felt as invested in a character ensemble as i was during the fourth season of the show. Archer is great, but I don't feel this emotional investment, plus, up until the great new season, there wasn't much of a narrative feel to the series as a whole, apart from the sorta haphazard cyborg-Barry storyline which never really got me. VB just has better characters, and while I find Archer more consistently funny by a margin, VB's big laughs are huge, and it usually throws in at least one of those per episode or so. Archer has a more appealing look, but otherwise, I give VB a slight edge overall and a big edge on characters. But as I said, I contemplated making it a tie, so its not by much at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:04 pm 

Hendrix wrote:
while I find Archer more consistently has a more appealing look.

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh? Aesthetically VB is one of the best looking cartoons in recent memory.

I haven't seen Archer but the animation looks ugly to me, and I know it's from the same people who did Sealab and Frisky Dingo, two shows I never cared for. I might still check it out if only because Jon H. Benjamin is in it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:02 pm 

Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
Venture Bros unquestionably. One of the smartest, funniest and referential, without drawing attention to, shows there is. A contender for best cartoon, though The Simpsons has it beat when it comes to heart

Archer's good though

Couldn't have said it better.

Started up Venture Bros again the other night and am falling in love again all over. It succeeds so much as a comedy, but I've recently just realized how dark it can be. For example Brock choking the wingless monarch henchman and the others not being able to pry him off, even when Brock himself falls unconscious. The show is quick enough to not lose the comic control, but man was that horrifying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:51 am 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
Quinnsy Lohan wrote:

Archer's good though

Couldn't have said it better.

Started up Venture Bros again the other night and am falling in love again all over. It succeeds so much as a comedy, but I've recently just realized how dark it can be. For example Brock choking the wingless monarch henchman and the others not being able to pry him off, even when Brock himself falls unconscious. The show is quick enough to not lose the comic control, but man was that horrifying.

I was disturbed by that scene

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:56 am 

That was the very first episode and it did a good job of establishing how much of a vicious killer Brock is, which is his job after all.

"Poor little guy, he was this close to getting his wings, too".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 am 

Second episode, but yeah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:06 am 

Well it's the first episode of the first season, I forgot about the pilot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:21 am 

Archer, but i'm not a huge fan of either show

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:58 am 

Venture Bros probably also has the greatest use of music in any cartoon. The way it's coupled with the characters and theirs quirks and intonations and the camp retro feel of it all is just perfect every time

Could reflect on me some, but I cracked up at that scene where Brock chokes the life out of Speedy, though may have been a little unease in the laughter cos it's something that'd be horrific to watch. But what else is there to do but laugh at the inevitability of death, really

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 pm 

Just watched the "Home Insecurity" episode where Brock leaves the Ventures to themselves for a camping trip. When Underbite's and Monarch's minions are reminiscing on why they became minions and it got to the 'rack 'ocaine guy's story, oh man, I don't think I've laughed as hard in a long while

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:06 pm 

Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
Venture Bros probably also has the greatest use of music in any cartoon. The way it's coupled with the characters and theirs quirks and intonations and the camp retro feel of it all is just perfect every time

Could reflect on me some, but I cracked up at that scene where Brock chokes the life out of Speedy, though may have been a little unease in the laughter cos it's something that'd be horrific to watch. But what else is there to do but laugh at the inevitability of death, really

It's funny because of how over the top it is, but it's also pretty dark, then there's the dramatic pause with the Mariachi music in the background and then 24 says "Wow, that SUCKED" in his Ray Romano voice and it goes back to being funny.