DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: House M.D.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:01 pm 

Will I ever get through the last season dudes? One of the worst displays of Television in history.

The first 5 seasons, with the start and the finale of 6 tho, hoooooo

Post subject: Re: House M.D.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 pm 

I quite liked the last season, though I admit it was below par for House. The finale, though, makes it well worth sticking with.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:11 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
The last season is absolute balls. I actually can't even

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm 

A glimmer of hope with "Nobody's Fault" and to a slightly lesser extent "Chase". I've always thought Chase was a likable enough character, but these 2 episodes unsheathed a certain depth to how strong willed he is as a person. Nobody in America cared about him and Dr. Cameron's relationship together.

Still tho, a bad season, I'm almost there:

Things that are bad/horrid:

1. The asian girl doctor
2. The blandest TV character I have ever experienced w/ the hottish (not event that hot) prison doctor who joined the team
3. Them taking too much focus away from the cases. There was assured mastery handling case matters and character explorations before (think season 4 *bows down*), but from season 6 onward, they're struggling to fill up time and ideas and it's sad.
4. Taub being in some kind of 3 men and a baby plotline. Ridiculous.
5. The loss of Cuddy was a big blow. Replacing her w/ Foreman sounded promising, but he and House have already had power struggles for damn near a decade already, so it just became old news.
6. The cases themselves, even when they are showcased with some time (rare), blow and don't really take any risks. I hearken back to season 4 when a fucking building fell on someone and they were treating on the wrong person the whole time. That's the kind of fucked up shit I wanna see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:06 pm 

I was actually glad they went away from the cases. How many times can you watch them have one wrong diagnosis after another until somebody says something unrelated to the case with 4 minutes left in the episode and it makes House finally think of the correct diagnosis. How many times can they tell a patient that they are going to die only to suddenly find the real diagnosis and save the patient at the last minute?

I loved the episode with the spud gun contest, when 13 gets out of jail.

I love the House-Taub relationship, the way House is always 2 steps ahead of him.

The show was at its best when House was fucking with the other characters.

For me the worst time in the show was when they wasted several episodes whittling down the candidates to see which 3 would get the jobs working with House.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:18 pm 

The formula for House is monotonous, but it worked and it mostly did because of how they got there. It's a good diversionary tactic to move away from the cases and instill surprise/suspense throughout, but season 8 doesn't work for me. I guess I wouldn't mind as much if the places they went away to were at all interesting or entertaining.

You're speaking of season 4 for that last thing, but you're contradicting yourself because all that season was was House fucking with other characters!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:34 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
You're speaking of season 4 for that last thing, but you're contradicting yourself because all that season was was House fucking with other characters!

He's gotta fuck with characters we know, not with strangers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:59 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Agree with everything Jake said. The only disagreement I might have is that Foreman as dean of medicine was never promising because the premise in and of itself is flat out absurd and unbelievable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:29 pm 

yeah i was probably being too nice for that. If anything, they should've just had a completely new character for that role and it would have been 1000 times more believable and better. I'm guessing the show at that point was in the shitter and they just didn't care for the remainder of their time left.

If there's one thing that's always welcome tho, is clinic hours. I'm always down for those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:23 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
wantabodylikeme wrote:
If there's one thing that's always welcome tho, is clinic hours. I'm always down for those.

Agreed. Probably 50+% of the laughs from that show come from clinic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 am 

Who was the better guest villain?

David Morse or Chi McBride?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 am 

Sherick wrote:
Agree with everything Jake said. The only disagreement I might have is that Foreman as dean of medicine was never promising because the premise in and of itself is flat out absurd and unbelievable.

you mean you don't buy that a guy who was blackballed from medicine across the country a few years earlier, and directly worked for several years with the guy who crashed his car into the former dean of medicine's house, was given her job?

i would maybe, just maybe, have believed Wilson in that role. Foreman in that role was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 am 

Bruce wrote:
For me the worst time in the show was when they wasted several episodes whittling down the candidates to see which 3 would get the jobs working with House.

oh best run of the show imo. you are crazy. Season 4 overall was the best season. i've probably watched the first half of the season 4 or 5 times now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 am 

imo House is a really awesome "dumb smart" show. what i mean is, its a show about smart people doing smart things and saying smart things and having interesting discussions and observations and all that... but the way its packaged is extremely easy to digest. everything the audience needs to know is directly told to them, making it so even the dumbest person on earth could watch House and feel smart watching it.

which makes it a really fun show you can drift in and out of. great for background noise and great for rewatching when you just need something on. you can leave the room, come back and everything you need to know will be told to you as soon as you're back to paying attention. you don't even have to look at the screen. i put it on in the background while i play games on my phone and shit. its one of my favorite shows to sort of zone out while watching.

i'm not trying to insult it. i wouldn't love it if there wasn't a lot of great stuff going on. interesting things happening and a couple great characters and some moderately insightful pieces of dialogue throughout every episode. House himself is one of my 5 favorite characters of all-time. not to mention a ton of dark humor throughout the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:10 am 

Oh yeah this is definitely popcorn TV. Not every show has to be The Wire. That elucidating is part of what gives it its charm, as well as House's brilliance which seems to be ludicrous (seriously how many languages is this guy able to pull out of his ass?). But yes, also one of my favorite TV characters I've ever come across. You almost want him to be real (and be treated by him!)