It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Discussion: Favorite Films and TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:50 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
i know there was a thread for it before on old ddd but I can't find it here, but yeah almost done with Louie and it is a pretty awesome show. I knew it would be funny cuz Louis CK is a terrific comedian and writer, but there is some bizarre transcendental shit that surprises me. That Jesus episode alone was quite unexpected. Show's personal as fuck.

Louis "TV auteur" CK

yeah its sort of somber and depressing at times but its really funny, it coincides with his humor perfectly sort of like curb and larry david

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:09 pm 

I've been watching Freaks and Geeks again and if it keeps the goodness up it may become my favorite show. As of now I think that the first episode may have been the best thing ever on TV. I'm four episodes in, and I think the "geek" characters are starting to get on my nerves a little, but I really love everything else about it--the stories, the characters. I think the reason the show means so much to me is because the Lindsay Weir character basically captures a predicament very similar to one of the ones I faced in high school: trying to make good grades and be nice and kind to everyone, but also wanting the excitement and experience of doing all the things only the "bad kids" did. The only difference I guess is that I'm a guy and not a chick, and that I was a bit better at being well-liked by the whole school than she is (but that's mostly just because I was way better at changes aspects of my personality depending on who I was around). Anyway, great show, often times perfectly directed, I highly recommend it it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 pm 

I've actually been watching Freeks and Geeks also, i've really taken to liking it. It really makes no sense why it would be cancelled after 12 episodes (I think), it's a really good show.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:14 pm 

Good you're liking Freaks and Geeks, Dreww. Definitely captures the high school experience better than... uh yeah pretty much any other show I think. I kind of agree with you about the "Geeks" stories for the most part (except "The Garage Door" which is just one of the best i remember), because i think they started out as comic relief as if the "Freaks" weren't funny enough. Overall, the funniest character on the show is Joe Flaherty as the Lindsay and Sam's dad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 pm 

Another good show on E4 is Misfits. Pretty great, really.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:07 pm 

Freaks and Geeks would now have to commit total suicide in the last couple of episodes in order for it not to be my favorite show ever (if we're not counting Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies as a "show").

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 pm 

Yeah, not possible. If the ordering is the same on your DVD as it was on mine (my parents got a weird collectors edition version a few years back) then it ends with "Discos and Dragons", probably the best unplanned series finale ever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm 

Dreww, if you like Freaks & Geeks, i'd recommend checking up Judd Apatow's followup series, the similarly short-lived "Undeclared". I think you might enjoy it, given how much you liked "Freaks and Geeks".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 am 

Okay, my love for Freaks & Geeks is starting to get out of control. Every episode is perfect and is like a direct line to heaven. I'm steaming mad that it got cancelled. I'll definitely be trying out Undeclared as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 am 

Prepare to be underwhelmed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:33 pm 

because you said that i predict

"why does everyone think this sucks? this is the best show i've ever seen" --dreww

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 pm 

It's gotten to the point where right before I know something socially awful and awkward is going to happen I have to pause it and prepare myself for about 10 minutes of preemptive cringing before I can bear to watch it because I care about all of the characters way way way too much. I'm taking a break right now because it looks like Nick is going to sing "Lady L" to Linda and I don't think I can handle it.

Edit: That was one of the best things I've ever experienced in art.

Edit: Nick not Neal.

Last edited by Dreww on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm 

Is Freaks and Geeks really that good? What comedy vein is it on?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:10 pm 

Dramedy. The same sort of tone you find in The Offices only more genuinely concerned with understanding the inner lives of the characters. The rigorousness of the compassion for all of the characters in this show, combined with its clearness of vision, competes with the best of Renoir (and tops the best of Moodysson). It looks at suburban values with a very critical eye without being dismissive across the board or elitist, and affirms what's good about them. As for why I think it's so great, I can't promise it will be that way for everyone (especially if your high school experience doesn't resemble those of the characters) but I personally have a very deep connection with it in very specific ways. It explores a lot of things that can happen to you when you're trying to shape the sort of person you become and a great deal of the things it focuses on were very important in my particular development. This was high school for me, and in a lot of ways this is still what college is like for me. Honestly, this is the first cinematic/video thing I've come across in a long time that I don't have even one bad thing to say about and I recommended it to everyone with absolutely no qualifications whatsoever (though I still have three episodes to go).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:01 pm 

I really need to find the time to re-watch Freaks and Geeks. Such a brilliant show, for all the reasons Dreww just stated, and then some.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 61  Next