DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Discussion: Favorite Films and TV Shows
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:10 pm 

season 4 of mad men is the best season IMO, and season 3 has some good moments.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:52 pm 

Most definitely agreed with that.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:14 pm 

rockvirtuoso wrote:
chicken sandwich wrote:
rockvirtuoso wrote:
fuck so i finally watched breaking bad about 3 years after the fact, brilliant. anything else in the same class?

not really, i've heard things about the Wire. I'd watch Mad Men, it's also on AMC and also brilliant but a very different show. Maybe you'd like Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy? I haven't watched them myself but i've heard good things.
cool, thanks. seen wire and first 2 mad men seasons, good but not close imo, i preferred deadwood to them both. ill check those last two though

If we're talking FX dramas The Shield and Justified are definitely a cut above SOA, whose only really great season (out of 4) is the second. Justified of course has Tim Olyphant in the lead; SOA also employs a ridiculously large number of Deadwood alums in guest roles, as well as Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter) in the main cast. Of course Walton Goggins came to Justified from the Shield and Kurt Sutter, creator of SOA, got his start as a Shield writer (and performing as one of its more fucked-up villains). So there's a lot of interplay there.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 am 

just watched the pilot of that show Girls. was not a fan. I couldn't relate because all the characters were lame and I am a baller.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Hatfield & McCoys. Just, Hatfields and McCoys.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:18 am 

batman wrote:
just watched the pilot of that show Girls. was not a fan. I couldn't relate because all the characters were lame and I am a baller.

yeah, Girls isn't very good. I saw the most recent episode because it's on after Veep (I think) and it was alright but not something i'd want to watch again.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:33 am 

I think Girls is pretty good. Why don't you guys like it?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:44 pm 

It's very hard to like the characters so if you need to like them to enjoy a half hour show (which is more common than needing to like the mains in a drama) you'll find it alienating. They are indeed spoiled, sheltered, sometimes miserably out of touch people. But if you can get past that sort of ingrained sitcom expectation what remains is a bracingly honest and frequently hilarious show that even manages to make three of its four characters, if not likable, at least relatable enough to be somewhat sympathetic given the stories they're handed (although the british girl is a disgusting person and I fucking hate her).

Veep is better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:56 am 

Yeah, I just felt like it was an extra half hour of time spent with people I try not to spend a lot of time with in real life. I dunno though, I might give it a few more episodes. It could be interesting to see if the characters grow at all. But as it stands, I think I would only appreciate it more if the writer(s?) made it more clear that you aren't supposed to sympathize with the characters at all and are just supposed to laugh at how unlikable they are. It's probably important for me to re-emphasize that this judgement is so far only based on the pilot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm 

It definitely gets substantially funnier; it also gets easier to like or at least sympathize with Hannah, if not the others. It might be that Lena Dunham is only good at writing her own character but there might be something deeper happening there.

I'll also say that if you've ever wanted to see the mom from Freaks and Geeks get naked, here's your show.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:35 pm 

:lol: that scene alone makes Girls worth watching

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:41 pm 

monga18 wrote:
It definitely gets substantially funnier; it also gets easier to like or at least sympathize with Hannah, if not the others. It might be that Lena Dunham is only good at writing her own character but there might be something deeper happening there.

I'll also say that if you've ever wanted to see the mom from Freaks and Geeks get naked, here's your show.

I think Shoshannah has become fairly sympathetic while the latest episode did a lot for Adam (the second best character on the show next to Hannah) in that regard as well. It's been hard caring about Marnie or Jessa though. Especially Jessa.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 pm 

First three episodes of Girls are great. Can't speak to the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 pm 

Stephen wrote:
monga18 wrote:

I think Shoshannah has become fairly sympathetic while the latest episode did a lot for Adam (the second best character on the show next to Hannah) in that regard as well. It's been hard caring about Marnie or Jessa though. Especially Jessa.

The difference there I think is Marnie is a girl who's being shitty in a way that is familiar, that just about every long-term relationship (even the successful ones that end with cake and babies) has had a moment in which one or both parties has felt at least the urge/temptation to be shitty in exactly that way. Whereas Jessa is being shitty in a way that is most reminiscent not of the average person's experience but of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl archetype - but, critically, the dark side of MPDGs, the "be spontaneous and individualistic without actually being of value to anybody or anything" side - which makes her both unsympathetic AND unrelatable, which in turn makes her the devil. Looking at her that way makes me respect the work put into the character even as I fucking loathe her and hope she gets hit by a truck in the season finale.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:14 pm 

Dreww wrote:
First three episodes of Girls are great. Can't speak to the rest.

It remains excellent. My favourite episode might have been the latest one to be honest.

Also monga, I pretty much agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 55  Next