It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dexter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 pm 

It makes very little sense in many ways. My biggest gripe with it is that this means that Colin Hanks' character supposedly did everything himself. The guy's not a big, strong man. He's most likely not a cold, seasoned killer like Dexter(who's also more powerfully built, making his high kill count seem more believable). So how the hell is this guy able to make all these insane, SAW-like contraptions during such a small time frame? I know this show has never been the most realistic one, but they're really pushing it here.

And I saw it coming a few episodes ago. The parallels with Dexter and Harry were just too obvious. You never saw anyone but Travis interact with Gellar, and no one seemed to notice him at all, even though he was wanted by the police. The way this old guy just kept appearing and disappearing without trace...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 pm 

Yeah, I thought the season was pretty solid so far until the last episode. Maybe I just need to rewatch the previous episodes to confirm it, but it seems like there may be a lot left unexplained if Gellar was always a figment of Travis' imagination. For example, didn't Dexter see Gellar in the Church in episode 7? And didn't "the whore" hear two people? Perhaps my mind is just filling in the gaps because I assumed he was real. If not, pretty shoddy writing. But if I was just filling in the gaps than it still seems like a solid season to me. Better than the last one, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 pm 

AbeVV wrote:
Yeah, I thought the season was pretty solid so far until the last episode. Maybe I just need to rewatch the previous episodes to confirm it, but it seems like there may be a lot left unexplained if Gellar was always a figment of Travis' imagination. For example, didn't Dexter see Gellar in the Church in episode 7? And didn't "the whore" hear two people? Perhaps my mind is just filling in the gaps because I assumed he was real. If not, pretty shoddy writing. But if I was just filling in the gaps than it still seems like a solid season to me. Better than the last one, imo.

Dexter saw Travis looking up at the balcony, I think Dexter assumed he was looking at Geller hence why he said "he's here, isnt he?". Dexter never actually saw Gellar with his own eyes.

Also the hooker (or whatever she was) probably thought there were 2 people because Travis must of been talking to himself (Gellar) or this happened before Travis killed Gellar. It really doesn't make sense for all the reasons Yngtchie listed above, plus he (apparetly) killed his own sister. Then again maybe this happened by Gellars hands and Travis killed him to get revenge, who knows. Like I said I like this twist alot, it skewers alot of things and leaves more room to speculate and be kept guessing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 pm 

People, a little question for you. Recently, I've been searching for some new TV shows to get into, seeing as my semester is about to start and I could always use a good show to see during my free time, between studying and working. One of the shows a lot of my friends enjoy is Dexter, so I decided to give it a go. I've so far seen the first 2 episodes and, I must confess, it really isn't drawing me in at all. I've felt kind of demotivated by the setting - its atmosphere feels reminiscent of a criminal investigation show, and I just can't really empathize with the characters at all. Particularly Dexter, which is the main focus point of the show, so I thought that must be a deal-breaker. His characterization seems almost robotic, and the character doesn't strike me as very interesting. The whole morality aspect of "killing bad people", "feeding his urges" quickly becomes overplayed and boring, and that's just in two episodes. I also felt the way it was introduced to the show was way too forced.

So, I got all that from the first 2 episodes. My question is, am I jumping into conclusions by assuming I won't like the show at all, or should I at least give it another chance and see more episodes, trusting that the show becomes better?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:41 pm 

Watch Breaking Bad instead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:30 pm 

Haha, funny you should mention that. My latest post on the "Last Film You Saw And Rate It" thread:

Quote:
I just finished watching the first season of Breaking Bad and I am hooked. I must confess, at first, I was a little skeptical, since its premise didn't sound all that fascinating to me. However, from episode 1, I couldn't help but adore it. The character's development, the actors' portrayal of each of them, the cinematography, the general structure of each episode, and the plot, they are all so captivating and wonderful. Bryan Cranston really outdid himself, and I'm really glad too, because I just kept thinking he would be typecast as characters similar to the father of Malcolm in the Middle, but he managed to show his versatility and true talent with the character of Walter White. I can't help but speak wonders of this show, but I'm afraid to curse the next seasons with too high expectations, so I'll just stop here saying that I freaking loved season 1 of Breaking Bad, and can't wait to see the next seasons.

Yeah, Breaking Bad is definitely the show I'm sure to keep following. I was just wondering if I should really give up hope on Dexter. If that's the case, I'm pretty settled with Breaking Bad anyways, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm 

If Dexter is the Dexter character you find least compelling then a) I'm worried you may have a serious mental disease and b) there's absolutely no reason for you to be watching Dexter. And no, the show doesn't really get better than its first couple episodes (since the first season is by far the strongest and it's not really a slow-burning show like, say, Breaking Bad, which only gets better with each successive year btw).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:46 pm 

Haha yeah I just realized I didn't exactly word it the best way possible. I didn't intend to say I find Dexter the least compelling character of the show, no. He is, however, not that interesting a character for me. I don't know, everything about him seems so force-fed to us, from the adoptive parents to the killing urges, they just seem thrown onto the plot and they don't feel natural to me. I can't really become interested in Dexter, because he seems so robotic to me. From the characterization Michael C. Hall gave him to his narrations to the flashbacks, all of them feel so artificial and I just can't get myself to simply get carried away with them. So, if the first couple episodes are pretty representative of the rest of the show, I guess I can officially say I dislike it.

Breaking Bad, on the other hand, draws me in completely. I find myself completely involved and captivated by its atmosphere and characters, and I'm very pleased to hear you say that it gets better with each passing year, because I've already fallen in love with season 1, and am currently watching season 2, so it's good to know I can expect high achievements from this show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm 

Lostio wrote:
they don't feel natural to me. I can't really become interested in Dexter, because he seems so robotic to me.

Well he is a psychopath

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:27 pm 

Yeah psychopaths are usually like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:10 pm 

OK, the robotic characterization could work in context, I give you that, but the fact that Dexter is a psychopath wasn't sold well enough, in my opinion. They could have presented that in a more effective and convincing way, otherwise it all seems way too forced and unnatural, which is what I got from those episodes. The structure of the show feels very manipulative, and the fact that Dexter is a robotic psychopath seems to be simply a given from the start, while the show simply expects us to accept it, without properly developing it. I don't know, I couldn't get into it, it feels too formulaic for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm 

It is formulaic, I'll give you that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm 

Lostio wrote:
OK, the robotic characterization could work in context, I give you that, but the fact that Dexter is a psychopath wasn't sold well enough, in my opinion. They could have presented that in a more effective and convincing way, otherwise it all seems way too forced and unnatural, which is what I got from those episodes. The structure of the show feels very manipulative, and the fact that Dexter is a robotic psychopath seems to be simply a given from the start, while the show simply expects us to accept it, without properly developing it. I don't know, I couldn't get into it, it feels too formulaic for me.

Have you never met corrections?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:57 pm 

Lostio wrote:
The structure of the show feels very manipulative, and the fact that Dexter is a robotic psychopath seems to be simply a given from the start, while the show simply expects us to accept it, without properly developing it.

Meh. Psychopathy doesn't really "develop" the way a disorder or something would. Plus I actually like how unconcerned Dexter or his Dad is with the origin story, it doesn't really matter anymore.

I only caught the pilot and loved it. Hall's unemotional smirk-stare has me down. Although does the narration last throughout the series? Not fond of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 am 

It does.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next